Orders before Oct 1 but fulfilled after?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pez34a

Feb 17, 2013
    Columbia, MD
    Hi everyone, sorry if this has been asked already.

Im thinking about buying a 'retro' reciever from Nodak Spud, but they told me they're backordered until likely December. I know SB281 says orders done before Oct 1 are grandfathered in, but does anyone have any insight into how that would be done logistically? Would a Maryland FFL still be able to accept it and transfer it? Would MSP actually process the paperwork and do a ND?

pez34a

Feb 17, 2013
    Columbia, MD
    So, if I was able to get Nodak Spud to take my money and give me a purchase order, then theoretically I'm good? I wonder if MSP has even thought about this scenario?

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    So, if I was able to get Nodak Spud to take my money and give me a purchase order, then theoretically I'm good? I wonder if MSP has even thought about this scenario?

That's exactly what the law says; they have to have some kind of accommodation in their new process ... there is a lot of unknown in the actual process ... even they don't know most of it at this time, so there is no way for us to know either

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN

A purchase order for what exactly? An AK lower? A magazine? A sight? So technically, you are buying from an out of state source requiring an in state FFL to complete the purchase. Nodak Spud says you must provide FFL copy of license prior to placing order, but my understanding of SB281 is the MD FFL must either have placed the order or possess the regulated component or firearm prior to 1 OCT. IMHO, this would not meet the requirements of SB281. Now if you were to go to your local FFL and have them put in the purchase order for presumably a stripped lower assembly, then you'd be GTG.

But it is unclear (to me at least) if your purchase order HAS to be through a MD FFL or if it can be from an out of state source such as Nodak Spud.

Last edited:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Still no guarantee, as SB281 has some language about already in possession of the FFL.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The firearm must also be in the FFL's possession before Oct 1 in addition to a PO. You can then transfer the firearm after Oct 1 if you choose to.

You need to read two different paragraphs to see this. This according to Erwos' FAQ and Ddeanjohnson who have scrutinized the bill's languauge.

(2) A LICENSED FIREARMS DEALER MAY CONTINUE TO POSSESS, 1
    SELL, OFFER FOR SALE, OR TRANSFER AN ASSAULT LONG GUN OR A COPYCAT 2
    WEAPON THAT THE LICENSED FIREARMS DEALER LAWFULLY POSSESSED ON OR 3
    BEFORE OCTOBER 1, 2013.

flyingblind

Oct 3, 2012
    According to Del Mike last night on Seeing Red, if you have the PO for a rifle before October 1 your good to receive it when ever, if you have a PO for a pistol with higher than 10 round mags before October 1 you are good, if you have a PO for magazines of more than 10 rounds before October 1 you are good. /thread

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    According to Del Mike last night on Seeing Red, if you have the PO for a rifle before October 1 your good to receive it when ever, if you have a PO for a pistol with higher than 10 round mags before October 1 you are good, if you have a PO for magazines of more than 10 rounds before October 1 you are good. /thread

Edit: the bill reads differently. The COMAR implementation will be interesting.

How does the rest reconcile with this section of SB281 - which goes into effect on 10/1? The language reads differently. Maybe Mike is working with the regulations folks... One can hope :)

4–305.
    (a)This section does not apply to:
    (1) a .22 caliber rifle with a tubular magazine; OR
    (2) A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER OR A PERSON WHO RETIRED IN GOOD STANDING FROM SERVICE WITH A LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY OF THE UNITED STATES, THE STATE, OR ANY LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY IN THE STATE.
    (b) A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 10 rounds of ammunition for a firearm.

Last edited:

flyingblind

Oct 3, 2012
    Agreed on point 1.

How does the rest reconcile with this section of SB281 - which goes into effect on 10/1? The language reads differently. Maybe Mike is working with the regulations folks... One can hope :)

4–305.
    (a)This section does not apply to:
    (1) a .22 caliber rifle with a tubular magazine; OR
    (2) A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER OR A PERSON WHO RETIRED IN GOOD STANDING FROM SERVICE WITH A LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY OF THE UNITED STATES, THE STATE, OR ANY LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY IN THE STATE.
    (b) A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 10 rounds of ammunition for a firearm.

This is why I asked the question, but according to him, if you have a PO, but due to demand they arent delivered, you can still receive them.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    This is why I asked the question, but according to him, if you have a PO, but due to demand they arent delivered, you can still receive them.

Thanks for getting his clarification on that. This is good news. Did anyone ask about the purchases of firearms spanning the 10/1 date (purchase before and pick up after) and the necessity for the HQL for transfer/receipt after 10/1?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    According to the part I quoted, the FFL can only transfer the firearm after Oct 1 if he possessed it before Oct. 1. The law says may, so it is up to the FFL, but I don't see an exception to possession prior to Oct. 1, meaning if the FFL receives the firearm after Oct 1, he cannot transfer it even if a PO was issued before Oct. 1

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    According to the part I quoted, the FFL can only transfer the firearm after Oct 1 if he possessed it before Oct. 1. The law says may, so it is up to the FFL, but I don't see an exception to possession prior to Oct. 1, meaning if the FFL receives the firearm after Oct 1, he cannot transfer it even if a PO was issued before Oct. 1

It doesn't say ONLY.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Ok it says MAY, but it doesn't make an exception for firearms possessed after Oct 1 . It says FFL can transfer it if possessed prior to Oct 1, but no allowance after Oct 1. I read that as not allowed.

MagnumFarce

May 3, 2013
    Centreville, MD
    Ok it says MAY, but it doesn't make an exception for firearms possessed after Oct 1 . It says you can transfer it if you possessed prior to Oct 1, but no allowance after Oct 1. I read that as not allowed.

I'll forward this question on to Delegate Mike (who is also on this forum as well). You can also send your questions to andimorony on this forum (who is Del. Mike's Chief of Staff and my wife).

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    I'll forward this question on to Delegate Mike (who is also on this forum as well). You can also send your questions to andimorony on this forum (who is Del. Mike's Chief of Staff and my wife).

Can you also ask him about the question posted about HQL and 10/1? There are A LOT of people inquiring about that. The speculation and reading of the law may start a severe drop off in handgun sales very soon (given the current wait times near 100 days) if the answer isn't clear.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    FWIW, I agree with swinokur's interpretation. The legislation is written this way to close a huge, obvious loophole: submit a huge standing purchase order to your FFL for every gun under the sun, and then write yourself a bunch of clauses that essentially amount to "I'll buy what I want when I want". The MSP can interpret it how they want, I guess, but the law is not unclear.

Also, I sent Delegate Mike some questions regarding SBRs and SBSs that I'd like a formal AG opinion on...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    KD96

Latest threads

Top Bottom