• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Optics on handguns have their application. smokey naiked it stating you need to get used to one and work to become proficient with optics. They definitely help with leaning to properly align the pistol during ‘presentation’.

I’ve used optics on handgun and have a couple with different types of accuracy heavy competition pistols. I will be 68 in January and still prefer iron sights. My eyes prefer night sights and prescription shooting glasses. I do defensive training with regular eyewear and plain nonprescription shooting glasses to test my limits. Everyday is a treat when your eyes do what they want when they want.

Some getting into shooting think the latest tech in slide mounted mini dots are mandatory gear for proficiency. Not so. I can think of a couple things against those sights. I can think for a few for them. None of them will make you a proficient shooter. Only time and high effort practice will do that. You won’t know what you like until you jump in and get your feet wet.

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    Just got a Ruger Redydot for Christmas--need to do the TORO slide conversionfor for my G3c--will pick one up next time the slides go on sale and try it out--just holding it in my hand and walking around the dot is plenty bright even in dimly lit room--also the dot is much t on today

Just got a Ruger Redydot for Christmas--need to do the TORO slide conversionfor for my G3c--will pick one up next time the slides go on sale and try it out--just holding it in my hand and walking around the dot is plenty bright even in dimly lit room--also the dot is much larger than many
    Put it on today. Fit on one of the plates that comes with the TORO slide. Haven't tried it out yet but still fits in the hybrid holster with a little trimming and the big dot is easy to find- just above the sights

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    New member here. Loving all the intelligent content.
    I used to an avid gun guy and recently rekindled my love affair. I notice optics are common on handguns. Are these legit or the latest fad?
    Especially for self defense use.

Thanks
    New take on the 100+ year old debate-

Wheel gun vs Semiauto?

CatoctinOutfitters

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2023
    Frederick, MD
    There has been a huge swell of folks outfitting their sidearms with optics that can make it seem like a fad or just a craze but personally I see it sticking around permanently. It'll probably loose some steam since the trend is still relatively new, like anything else in life, but hang around like other proven options and methods that will have both supporters and detractors battling it out on discussion boards like this.

I'm gonna take the middle of the road approach and say it comes down to personal preference of the shooter. Some are better with iron sights while others hone their skills better with an optic. It also comes down the weapon being used, some sidearms have great sights from the factory that don't block too much of a shooter's view and are easy to use. Some others not so much or can simply be a pain to use where installing a red dot, or any kind of optic, can fix that issue. Which can make the difference of a firearm going from being a least liked to becoming a favorite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom