• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Allan R

Dec 22, 2023
    Baltimore
    New member here. Loving all the intelligent content.
    I used to an avid gun guy and recently rekindled my love affair. I notice optics are common on handguns. Are these legit or the latest fad?
    Especially for self defense use.

Thanks

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Without going through there, the short answer is that red dots on either a pistol or rifle allow you to focus on the threat and not the sights, like with irons. Because there is no cheekweld on handguns, red dots require lots of presentation practice to build both the muscle memory and threat focus to make them quick with handguns. You look at the target, and with enough practice, the dot will simply show up as you punch your gun out to shoot.

If you don't drill thar muscle memory, you can fall back on things like a white stripe along the top of the optic, suppressor height sights, a backplate with some kind of center image, or the acss Vulcan reticle to help align the red dot. The Vulcan reticle is cool, but eats batteries fast due to all that extra needed illumination.

In general, red dots shine at long distance shots, where they can make precision easier when firing slow. Being faster than irons up close requires lots of practice before it happens.

Crosseye Dominant

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2018
    I used to actually see both sides of this debate... but my aging eyes have decided for me that optics are not a fad. They are here to stay.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I dabbled and did not like a red dot optic on my pistol. I do like them on rifles. It comes down to personal preference.

Mule

Just Mule
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2013
    In my opinion, the answer is "Yes. But,..."

Pistol mounted optics (PMOs) are absolutely worth checking out. But, for a number of reasons, they may or may not be the best option for you.

A bunch of hardware considerations can play a role - reticle type (dot, circle, chevron, dot/chevron within circle, etc.), reticle color (red, green), window size and shape, mount style, iron sight type and witness, etc. Other "software" considerations can play a role, also - how the pistol is presented, head position, eye issues, personal preferences, etc.

It will require an investment. There's the cost of the sight, and there may be others as well. For example, platform-related costs (slide adaptor/mounting plates/slide milling/new slide/new pistol), accessory costs (optic-cut holsters), and training-related costs.

Then, there are also "skills-acquisition" costs, on top of that. You'll need to learn the basics, then drill them until they become automatic. From that point on, you'll want to maintain your perishable skills.

No different than any new venture, and not insurmountable, by any means. But, not just a simple "one-and-done" choice, either.

Good timing for your question, though, as Tom Givens' latest (January 2024) Rangemaster Newsletter has an article with things to consider on whether or not an optic would be a good fit for someone.

Aaron Cowan (Sage Dynamics), Scott Jedlinski (Modern Samurai Project), and Gabriel Suarez (Suarez Tactics) are a few instructors who pioneered the use of optics on handguns, and would be good resources for in-person instruction.

Finally, Aaron Cowan published a White Paper on Red Dot Sights (RDS) for handguns, that is an excellent resource:

Hope that helps!

frozencesium

BBQ Czar
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 5, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    I have a mix...for EDC pistols I tend not to have optics just for concelabilitey. Optics add to size, which I've personally found to be an issue.

Once I find a holster I like that will permit an optic, that fits me, doesn't print like hell, etc...I'll probably switch to my EDC having optics. Knock the Chinese all you want, but the "shake awake" feature is really nice and I run a LOT of Holosun red dots on CQB rifles and pistols. A local gunsmith/SOT 7 that was former SWAT and builds custom rifles for SWAT and other such applications, as well as competition guns runs nothing but Holosun on his stuff...so good enough for him, good enough for me.

Many of my range guns (especially with suppressors) and such I run optics.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    How about lasers? I don't see those on handguns much anymore.

I suppose it's a similar issue, i.e. how long does it take you to find the laser dot and get it on target in different lighting conditions. But at least with a laser you'd still have your irons.

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    Just got a Ruger Redydot for Christmas--need to do the TORO slide conversionfor for my G3c--will pick one up next time the slides go on sale and try it out--just holding it in my hand and walking around the dot is plenty bright even in dimly lit room--also the dot is much larger than many

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Smokey and Crosseye both do very well at laying out the two main positive aspects- Single focal plane , and adapting to eyesight challenges.

The other sides -

The more accomplished you are conventional sights ( in various aiming strategies) , the steeper the learning curve to get back up to your previous level .

KISS principle. Iron sights never have Dead or corroded batteries , cracked screens, malfunctioning switches . Iron sights occasionally come loose , loose screws on adjustable sights , etc . But far fewer things to go sideways than with mounts, mounting plates, etc .

Bulk . Optics keep getting smaller , but still significantly bulkier than Irons .

The other vision issue . Optics have advantages for poor visual acquity. But they suck for astigmatism.

$$$ Yes , with the growing popularity, prices are competitive. But many / most pistols now come stock usable sights , and if you want something different it modest one time expense .

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County

I suppose it's a similar issue, i.e. how long does it take you to find the laser dot and get it on target in different lighting conditions. But at least with a laser you'd still have your irons.
    You can still have irons with a dot. Full co-witness with suppressor height sights is a thing.

gforce

MDS Supporter
    Aug 22, 2018
    I like my dot, I kept my irons installed with the dot, can use them if needed.

a benefit I haven’t seen mentioned. It gives you instant feedback on bad trigger pulls. The dot tracks in the direction you jerk the trigger. Useful feature for dry fire.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

Screenshot_20221001_112417.jpg

Screenshot_20221001_112430.jpg

lasers can be cool for odd firing positions. There's some light/laser combos that are OK. They largely went out of fashion though.

With red dots, you keep your irons. You can either have them tall, like my 407c set-up on the left, or minimal, like that 407k set up on the right. I prefer normal stock-height sights and an enclosed emitter optic, like the holosun eps carry. The enclosed optics are durable and can't crud-up like open -emitter designs.

With open emitter designs, you've got a single pane of glass and a light source projecting a reflection on to the glass from down in the optic body. This sucks for 2 reasons...
    1) it's a pain for maintenance- As you get dust and lint in it, you need to reach in to the back face of the glass to wipe it and will probably need something like a q-tip to clean the emitter itself.

2) reliability- rain/dirt/blood can get down and block the emitter, leaving you with just a panel of glass that now may be blocked or not have a dot on it. You have to quickly blow it out or rely on backplate shooting/backup irons depending on how boogers it gets.

In contrast, enclosed emitter designs protect the emitter by completely enclosing it between two panes of glass, like on most rifle red dots. Going back to the above complaints...
    1) maintenance-simply wipe the front and back glass with your shirt or a clean cloth from time to time
    2) reliability- if blood/mud/water gets on it, just quickly wipe it with your shirt/thumb and get back to shooting.

The eps carry also has noticeably better glass than the 407k or 407c. It has less fisheye distortion and is just as clear, despite having two panes instead of one. Below you can see the open emotter 407k on the fde slide and the enclosed eps carry on the black slode.
    20230914_215538.jpg

20230910_150613.jpg

Annnnnd since it hasn't been mentioned, one added benefit of an optic is one-handed manipulations. They make it extremely easy to rack the slide off of damned near anything with one hand.

FRISteve

Apr 2, 2012
    Dover, PA

Lasers are a no go on defensive pistols in my opinion, except in specific use case scenarios. You spend more time looking for the dot than you do shooting. We did a great 2 year study on lasers versus not in defensive pistols and, tragically, before we published it, my co-author had a fatal heart attack and his sister, when cleaning out his house, threw out all our research.

I haven’t had the heart to redo it, but here’s the salient points - with the laser, at defensive distances, you will be slightly more accurate but will take significantly longer to get shots on target.

View attachment 446976
    View attachment 446979
    lasers can be cool for odd firing positions. There's some light/laser combos that are OK. They largely went out of fashion though.

With red dots, you keep your irons. You can either have them tall, like my 407c set-up on the left, or minimal, like that 407k set up on the right. I prefer normal stock-height sights and an enclosed emitter optic, like the holosun eps carry. The enclosed optics are durable and can't crud-up like open -emitter designs.

With open emitter designs, you've got a single pane of glass and a light source projecting a reflection on to the glass from down in the optic body. This sucks for 2 reasons...
    1) it's a pain for maintenance- As you get dust and lint in it, you need to reach in to the back face of the glass to wipe it and will probably need something like a q-tip to clean the emitter itself.

2) reliability- rain/dirt/blood can get down and block the emitter, leaving you with just a panel of glass that now may be blocked or not have a dot on it. You have to quickly blow it out or rely on backplate shooting/backup irons depending on how boogers it gets.

In contrast, enclosed emitter designs protect the emitter by completely enclosing it between two panes of glass, like on most rifle red dots. Going back to the above complaints...
    1) maintenance-simply wipe the front and back glass with your shirt or a clean cloth from time to time
    2) reliability- if blood/mud/water gets on it, just quickly wipe it with your shirt/thumb and get back to shooting.

The eps carry also has noticeably better glass than the 407k or 407c. It has less fisheye distortion and is just as clear, despite having two panes instead of one. Below you can see the open emotter 407k on the fde slide and the enclosed eps carry on the black slode. View attachment 446977
    View attachment 446978

Annnnnd since it hasn't been mentioned, one added benefit of an optic is one-handed manipulations. They make it extremely easy to rack the slide off of damned near anything with one hand.
    Have you had any issues with the shake-awake feature not "awakening" on the Holosun EPS Carry? I saw a video from Nightwood Guns on YouTube discussing this...curious to hear about any known reliability issues - thanks!

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Have you had any issues with the shake-awake feature not "awakening" on the Holosun EPS Carry? I saw a video from Nightwood Guns on YouTube discussing this...curious to hear about any known reliability issues - thanks!
    Nope. All my holosuns, whether handgun or rifle, have reliably come on when I pick then up.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    Lasers are a no go on defensive pistols in my opinion, except in specific use case scenarios. You spend more time looking for the dot than you do shooting. We did a great 2 year study on lasers versus not in defensive pistols and, tragically, before we published it, my co-author had a fatal heart attack and his sister, when cleaning out his house, threw out all our research.

I haven’t had the heart to redo it, but here’s the salient points - with the laser, at defensive distances, you will be slightly more accurate but will take significantly longer to get shots on target.
    I'm guessing nightime/wearing NV is one of the specific cases for which lasers are useful. But if I've got time to put on NV I've probably got time to pick up a rifle, too.

gforce

MDS Supporter
    Aug 22, 2018
    I have a full size EPS, never been a problem on mine either. The motion sensor is incredibly sensitive. I imagine it stays on the whole time it’s being worn. Haven’t been able to draw it before the dot comes online after it’s been sitting awhile. Don’t reckon I’ll ever be faster than it is.

I have a full size EPS, never been a problem on mine either. The motion sensor is incredibly sensitive. I imagine it stays on the whole time it’s being worn. Haven’t been able to draw it before the dot comes online after it’s been sitting awhile. Don’t reckon I’ll ever be faster than it is.
    That's great to hear, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom