• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Nice option, thanks for the rec. What is the warranty on the SWFA?

From what I hear, SWFA is just as good about replacing broken/defective scopes if they're received as such. I couldn't say how they handle warranty issues after purchase/beginning of use.

If nothing else, give them a call and ask - they're pretty easy to talk to and discuss things with. :)

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    For longer range I like Vortex and Bushnell Elite Tactical. Love Leupold too but they are usually more expensive.

Optics Planet has a Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24x50 for $639 which is a lot of scope for the $.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    SWFA warranty is good. they replaced an eleven year old 10x model my friend had on his .308. Turret freewheeled at the range one day. Sent it back. They made it right.

Vortex still gets my vote. Save the coin, buy once cry once. the PSTs are good scopes. If you don't want to spend a grand (street price of 6-24x FFP), save a couple hundred bucks by going with an SFP PST model (about 750 I think). Just remember that your reticle is only true at one magnification and your shooting will be effected accordingly. I am really sold on the FFP reticle scopes. I use some SFPs on varmint guns or stuff I just shoot for fun but anything I use in a competitive environment will be FFP.

BLS27

May 1, 2015
    Mt. Airy
    The Viper PST's are first-focal plane optics, where the standard Viper and Viper HS-T are second-focal plane optics.

The simple to understand difference, with FFP - if you need to make an adjustment to elevation or windage, you just dial it in and go. With SFP - the reticle is calibrated to one set power level, so if you need to make any adjustments, the optic has to be set at that specific power level for them to be correct. Example, the HS-T I have, calibrated for 18x. If I make adjustments at any other setting than 18x - I chase it around because it's no longer a true, correct adjustment.

Viper PST's come in FFP and SFP ;)

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Viper PST's come in FFP and SFP ;)

I know, I was waiting on a SFP PST for months before Vortex told they wouldn't have another shipment in until later in the year - which is what pushed me towards the HS-T. :)

**Let's be honest, majority of people looking to buy a PST are interested in the FFP models anyways. ;)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Step 1 - Join Sniper's HIde forum. No need to post, just join.

Step 2 - Call Sport Optics (www.sportoptics.com) and tell them you are an SH member. VERY nice discounts on optics. And can and will answer your questions.

The idea with FFP is if you are looking at your hit, and the reticle measures it at say 0.5 mil, then turn the elevation knob 5 clicks, shoot and hit.

With SFP, you need to be at the power it is calibrated to or exactly hlaf or twice, for each calculations.

But for spotting your own misses, the important thing is for the reticle and knobs to be teh same measurment system. Both Mil or both MOA. Mixing just makes it a bit harder.

The Viper PST FFP 6-24x is a lot of scope for the price. Buy once, cry once. And get an AWESOME warranty and service.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I have been researching a long range scope and have come to the Vortex conclusion and FFP seems the way to go from what I have found. Good Luck and pics when you get it.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 BDC SF usually $330 at Midway when on sale and I think they are this month.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Considering these two scopes in the $500 range:
    Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 mildot
    Leupold Mark AR 6-18x40 mildot

Shooting Remi 700 SPS Tactical 20" bbl in .308 (Hogue stock) with 20 moa Nighforce steel base.

Which would you recommend to go long distance target shooting with (500-1,000)?
    I am trying to compete with the hubby who has a 7mm Remi, Choate stock and a Weaver Classic V 6-24x42 (his scope goes out further than the two I am considering, but at the 18-20x, the Weaver isn't very clear.) I decided to go optics first, sure I'll be replacing the stock at a later time.

Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 (30mm tube):
    http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-viper-6-5-20x50-pa-riflescope-mil-dot-reticle

Leupold Mark AR 6-18x40 (1" tube):
    https://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/mark-ar-riflescopes/mark-ar-mod-1-6-18x40mm/

Thanks in advance!
    I use the smaller Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 on my 6.8 SPC II AR and it works very well. My .308 bolt gun (20" Howa 1500, B&C stock)) uses a Bushnell Elite Tactical 6-24x50 FFP with EGW 20 MOA rail and Burris Tactical rings. The Bushnell is about twice your budget but is known to be able to reach and hold at 1000y with a .308.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Charles of the Manor

Latest threads

Top Bottom