• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr H

Banana'd
    This is what I was thinking also, the guy says compact and people are mentioning glock 19, I know departments that use that as their service weapon, IMO not compact to me. Compact in comparison to the G17, but not compact.

I'm seeing a little confusion among some of us.

I do mean SUB-compact. Pocket, hog-leg, IWB, etc.

My primary carry weapon that this would complement is a Sig P239.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Mouse gun. Sub-compact.

That's what I read in the title, even though technically the G19 is a "compact" version of the full-frame G17. So that makes the G26 a sub-compact.

I am looking at all options right now. I am a bit spoiled by the ease of cleaning/take-down of a Glock, so the Kahr (need a screwdriver or something to pry something else) made me cringe. Oh well. I don't clean handguns that often, even when I shoot suppressed (more Glock spoilage).

My wish list:

- Subcompact - small/slim like the Kahr or Ruger
    - Lightweight - under 20 ounces (sans ammo)
    - External safety so I can stuff it without a holster
    - Decent trigger with a short reset (or a trigger that can be modified)
    - No magazine disconnect
    - Dependable and low-drama like a Glock. It is a tool; I don't want to coddle it.

Still have not found it, though I do not know the full field of options out there. I am just starting to look into these, so it might be out there.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    It's been mentioned, but try out the Walther PPS.

They're a little smaller than a G26, and a LOT thinner (as in less than 1" overall thickness). They have a flush-fit (i.e. dangling pinky) 6 round magazine, a 7 round mag with a small rest for your pinky, and an 8 rounder with a full pinky grip.

Striker fired, Glock like trigger and action, so that may make you uncomfortable for pocket type carry stuff.

However - they shoot *really* nicely, and at least for me, the ergonomics are great. Very little felt recoil for the size of the thing, with little muzzle flip at all.

I have about 1,000 rounds through mine and it is totally reliable.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Kimber just came out with the Solo which looks smooth as hell and is striker fired, so no hammer to snag. I don't know whatb they feel or shoot like, but it looks nice. Ruger also has the LC9 that is out and should fit the bill.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Glock 26 .. Goes " bang" everytime you pull the trigger. Had mine riding CCW for that last 14 years.

Attachments

• glock26p2.jpg
      glock26p2.jpg
      40.3 KB · Views: 262

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    For compact (no pinky dangle) the Kahr CW9. Very light. Very small. Very reliable.

For subcompact the brand new Kahr CM9 - like their PM9 series but with less fancy cosmetic stuff and a lot less expensive too. Great for a wife's purse or a BUG. 3" barrel. As soon as that is put on the MD handgun roster I'm getting one.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    Glock 26 .. Goes " bang" everytime you pull the trigger. Had mine riding CCW for that last 14 years.

I'm with SCARCQB on this one. The 26 is my new favorite CCW, it really disappears in a Crossbreed Supertuck. It's like carrying a cell phone. About as reliable as a hammer.

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    My primary CCW pistol is a Glock 26.
    Although I don't have large hands. Can't imagine trying to accuratlly shoot anything smaller for a primary weapon.
    I too use a Super Tuck IWB holster. But have also carryed it in my pocket. HTH:)

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Continental has a Kahr MK9 in their rental pool. I might make the trek up there some day to give it a shot. It's almost 80 miles one way, so I'll need to plan it when I am already further north for another reason.

krucam

Ultimate Member
    Continental has a Kahr MK9 in their rental pool. I might make the trek up there some day to give it a shot. It's almost 80 miles one way, so I'll need to plan it when I am already further north for another reason.

What happened with the 'hook up' in St Mary's (Sanners) with the PM9??? Hell, I was going to be an accidental visitor on that one myself... :rolleyes:

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    What happened with the 'hook up' in St Mary's (Sanners) with the PM9??? Hell, I was going to be an accidental visitor on that one myself... :rolleyes:

I have not PM'd yet and still want to do it. I am working on the range this weekend with heavy equipment. Big upgrades for a guy working alone.

When it comes to trying the guns, I figure in for a penny, in for a pound. I'd like to try them both and see the differences a few ounces makes. The MK is all steel and about six ounces heavier though almost exactly the same size. Curious what that does to the shooting.

I tried a PM9 in a pocket this week at a shop that had one in stock. Unless I was wearing cargo pants it would not go into a pocket without being real obvious. So it'd be an IWB holster. Weight probably less of a carry issue this way, but it might make shots nicer.

For the price, I'd want to shoot the gun more than the minimum required to maintain proficiency. So day to day shooting comfort is on the list.

The only downside to the MK is the all stainless silver look. No black available. Don't get me wrong, the stainless looks terrific. But I tend to beat my tools up and would feel bad getting a pretty one dirty.

Edit: I see future PMs incoming about helping with the range. I wasn't fishing for help by mentioning me working alone. I like it. Thanks.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Compact:
    CZ P-01 (Fits the hand like a glove)

Sub-Compact:
    Kahr MK9 (near perfection)
    Kel-Tec PF9 (if yours runs reliably, they often need a break-in)

The die is cast...

Came across a used MK9 today while wending my way from shop to shop, and fell for it.

Yes, the full metal frame is heavy, and yes I have to drop my pinky... but it still felt like a great fit.

Its polymer brothers felt nice too, and had a slightly longer grip, but something about this one called to me.

I bought a Kel Tec PF9 a few months ago and LOVE it. There were quite a few issues with the earlier models. Mine was built in 2011 and has ~500rds thru it with no issues yet. I don't know if anyone pointed out that they are, by far, the most inexpensive of the reliable sub compacts as well. I don't know if I'd call it a mouse gun, per se (tiny- yes, but 9mm isn't a mouse gun).
    Polish the feed ramp before the first trip to the range and have fun.

Last edited:

LostSoul

Nugget Popper
    Oct 29, 2008
    Ho Co
    I'm fond of my G26, it shoots surprisingly well for a small pistol in my hands. I have no carry permit, so concealed carry is limited to my domicile. It is chunky for its size, but 10 rounds and Glock reliability trump it's thickness in my opinion.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    The die is cast...

Came across a used MK9 today while wending my way from shop to shop, and fell for it.

Yes, the full metal frame is heavy, and yes I have to drop my pinky... but it still felt like a great fit.

Its polymer brothers felt nice too, and had a slightly longer grip, but something about this one called to me.

A shop in Towson rents the MK9 on their range, and I want to give it a go. Something about the all-metal gun also drew my attention.

I figured out what it was for me: even though all-stainless, it is still ultra-compact. As a result, it weighs closer the gun that I normally shoot. Hand/eye, training and muscle memory all kick in to say "this is what you already know".

Same reason I use the same kind of sights on every pistol. It's training.

Another gun I want to try: Sig P380 HD. It is the heaviest of the P380 line (all steel) and just felt right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom