• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    It is nice to not have to track them. That happened to me on my first deer when I started out. The next two required a bit of tracking, but it was actually a nice learning experience.

I like some aspects of tracking...when you lose one I don't like knowing its injured somewhere...
    Speaking of tracking have you heard if you spray hydrogen peroxide on blood it will foam up and you can see/track it better?

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I have a friend that has 6 kids. He shoots with a compound but can't afford bows for his wife and 6 kids. I let him borrow a crossbow and now their entire family can hunt. Now he can take any member of his family out with him.

The average family can't afford 4 bows and equipment for each one.

I use a tac15 and love it.

Good for you helping them out...That's one thing I don't mind if people are filling their freezer to feed their family...:thumbsup:

bojaydk

Oct 2, 2011
    Crownsville, MD
    Well that implies that you plan on being lazy and don't intend to take the time to become proficient. If you put your time in you can make just as fast and ethical kills with a compound, just takes a bit more practice.

Wow, that's quite the generalization that anyone who uses a crossbow is lazy. Call it what you will, it makes it easier and safer for the average person to bow hunt. Therefore I'm all for it. Why would anyone in this forum, who should be all for making hunting easier to access for the average person, be against such a tool? Doesn't make sense to me.

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    Speaking of tracking have you heard if you spray hydrogen peroxide on blood it will foam up and you can see/track it better?

If I can see the blood to spray hydrogen peroxide on it why do I need to spray it? :lol2:
    I guess you mean spray the general area and look for foaming?

My first tracking job had no blood trail just a few disturbed leaves and dirt. I just followed the path of least resistance through the woods and found him piled up about 100 yards out. On my second tracking job I had the proverbial red carpet to follow.

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    I have a friend that has 6 kids. He shoots with a compound but can't afford bows for his wife and 6 kids. I let him borrow a crossbow and now their entire family can hunt. Now he can take any member of his family out with him.

The average family can't afford 4 bows and equipment for each one.

I use a tac15 and love it.
    thats his fault for stretching his wifes legs beyond their financial means!

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    Wow, that's quite the generalization that anyone who uses a crossbow is lazy. Call it what you will, it makes it easier and safer for the average person to bow hunt. Therefore I'm all for it. Why would anyone in this forum, who should be all for making hunting easier to access for the average person, be against such a tool? Doesn't make sense to me.
    Another line of ******** with sugar sprinkled on! safer? are you serious?

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD

You miss understood me, or maybe I miss spoke.
    I don't think people who use crossbows are lazy. Both bow and xbow should require the hunter to practice. Your assertion that a xbow produces faster and more ethical kills because it is easier to master suggests that one need not practice. All I intended to point out is that a bow kills just as good if you master it.
    My personal preference is the bow but I would like other hunters to use whatever they are most proficient with.

bojaydk

Oct 2, 2011
    Crownsville, MD
    You miss understood me, or maybe I miss spoke.
    I don't think people who use crossbows are lazy. Both bow and xbow should require the hunter to practice. Your assertion that a xbow produces faster and more ethical kills because it is easier to master suggests that one need not practice. All I intended to point out is that a bow kills just as good if you master it.
    My personal preference is the bow but I would like other hunters to use whatever they are most proficient with.

Agreed.

bojaydk

Oct 2, 2011
    Crownsville, MD
    Here's an interesting read. Crossbow hunting is illegal in NY, but they lifted the ban temporarily last year (I think). Here is the open legislation to get it reinstated.

http://open.nysenate.gov/legislation/bill/S1699-2013

The justification section is what I've been talking about:

JUSTIFICATION: Currently, hunting with a crossbow is not permitted in New York State except under very limited conditions relating to being almost completely physically disabled. However, a person is permitted to hunt with a long bow. In states including Georgia, Michigan, and Ohio that allow the use of crossbows, crossbows appear to be an important recruitment and retention tool for hunters.

Many people start out hunting with crossbows and eventually switch to longbows or compound bows. Also, the sportsmen in these states have realized that the recruitment of additional hunters outweighs any differences over hunting tools. The Sportsmen's cause and the future of hunting are only enhanced by more people entering the ranks of active and Participating Sportsmen.

Further, these states found that crossbow use has not resulted in a decrease in "bag limits nor has poaching increased.

As expected, where crossbow hunting is permitted, it has been documented as a safe, responsible and popular means of hunting, and it has had no ill effect on wildlife resources or on any other group of sportsmen. Crossbow seasons also create hunting opportunities for people with disabilities, and those that cannot use a longbow or compound bow. Many people want to hunt with archery equipment, but simply are not able to physically maneuver a longbow or a compound bow - i.e. disabled persons, older persons or persons that lack the upper body muscle strength needed for longbows or compound bows. Crossbows can be used by all of these persons, affording them the opportunity they are now missing. Finally, the bill defines crossbow in accordance with the standards adopted by the American Crossbow Federation.

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    And the ACF was referenced,imagine that...I believe the guys from the maryland bowhunters society had a run in with them when all this crossbow shit came to light in maryland. something about the crossbowers actually wanted to take a peice of bow season for themselves shorting the bow hunters on a couple weeks. cww might correct me if i am wrong,he was at the meeting. Bunch of soft heads they are!

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    I've used "regular" compound bows all my life and never felt drawn to use a xbow. BUT, now I want one in the worst way. The idea that the whole family can use the same bow during the entire season is very appealing.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I have an Excalibur and find that while it is most accurate; if I am not using a rest or a shooting stick to steady it; it will not be as accurate as my PSE Whitetail Extreme compound.

But if using a rest or shooting stick; the Excalibur is deadly accurate; it will place a bolt in the same hole; shot after shot. I am amazed by how accurate it is.

My Excalibur is heavier than a compound; and it takes longer to ready another bolt for a second shot (if you have that opportunity) compared to a compound.

Also, you have to be careful of vertical limbs and tree's immediately around you; so the crossbows limbs (especially my Excalibur's limb - it's a recurve crossbow) to not slap against them and knock it (or you) out of position.

I hunt with both types of bows. I like having the choice. The crossbow is much more favored by me when all of the leaves have fallen off the tree's and the concealment factor is less; making it easier for deer to pick you out. So I move less with the Excalibur.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Now the discussion has gone the way it should have gone. I'm glad to see crossbows keeping guys in the woods that might otherwise retire from hunting...or maybe just gun hunt a few days a year. Lots of solid statements now. I really found the crossbow harder to shoot well. I guess I am holding myself to a high standard of consistency. I agree with SOMDSHOOT that they are bulky and cumbersome, especially in a climber with no shooting rail.

I thought he said that he doesn't use a treestand anyway but sits on a milk carton?

I like the idea of sitting on a milk carton on the ground and using a crossbow. I'm going to get one of those bipods and use that with the crossbow.

I think cross bows are awesome! :thumbsup:

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I thought he said that he doesn't use a treestand anyway but sits on a milk carton?

I like the idea of sitting on a milk carton on the ground and using a crossbow. I'm going to get one of those bipods and use that with the crossbow.

I think cross bows are awesome! :thumbsup:

Bi-pods on crossbows don't give nearly enough support.

A tri-pod is the way to go and one of those bubble levels to make certain the limbs are level works well too.

I use a tri-pod from an MG42 under mine. Rock solid.

The only thing bad about crossbow hunting is having to wait until september to use it again.

DaveP

Jan 27, 2013
    St. Marys county
    Bow only for me cause crossbows are for "kitties"

Well, I sure hope you are hunting with wood, sinew, and flint.

LOL, I started bowhunting with a Bear Kodiak, shooting instinctively, switched to a Bear Whitetail when it was THE compound in 1977-78, with SIGHTS!, and after a second compound in the mid '90s, bought an Excalibur crossbow about 6-7 years ago.

What ever you prefer. Learning curve is much shorter with Xbow, but I know some DEADLY folks still shooting stick and string.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Bi-pods on crossbows don't give nearly enough support.

A tri-pod is the way to go and one of those bubble levels to make certain the limbs are level works well too.

I use a tri-pod from an MG42 under mine. Rock solid.

The only thing bad about crossbow hunting is having to wait until september to use it again.

The regs for coyotes says that you can use firearms and archery. So that means crossbows are allowed, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JBIRD EST.1984

Latest threads

Top Bottom