• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    I have my own opinion based on experience with both, but will hold off on stating it as I'm interested to see what others have to say. I prefer to hear from those who have actual experience with both vs. a one-sided biased opinion.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    I have my own opinion based on experience with both, but will hold off on stating it as I'm interested to see what others have to say. I prefer to hear from those who have actual experience with both vs. a one-sided biased opinion.
    30+ years ago, there was no choice: unless you're disabled, you have to use a bow. I hunted for years with a bow at first.

Recently, crossbows can be used for hunting by everyone. Technically, my choice is with the crossbow: you can hold your aim forever and not spook a dear when you draw. It is almost like shooting a gun: you have a scope and your shots are more predictable.

Aesthetically, my choice is with a recurve bow w/o any sights shooting from muscle memory. The more experienced the hunter, the more likely they are to challenge themselves and hunt using the most primitive of tools.

This really boils down to what type of experience the hunter is looking for and how long they've been hunting.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    I've hunted with both, and hunt for a vareity of reasons. Depending on hunting to provide my meat is not one of them. If it were I would choose a Xbow and to hell with others opinions. Since I'm not depending on hunting to keep me in meat, I will pick a vertical bow, I wish I were good enough to go tradtional.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I just got into it since I was able to hunt with rifles when I lived elsewhere. I went with a xbow since I have horrible shoulders and pulling/holding a bow heavy enough for me to hunt with hurt like Hades. Also, as a rifleman getting into it late with limited time I thought the xbow was a more ethical choice for me.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    Crossbows offer a smaller compact package that can be aimed in a more conventional fashion, utilizing optics and do not require that you hold back tension manually while you wait for your shot. But the longer arrow of the bow allows for more storage of kinetic energy which will allow for a harder hit over a longer distance than a crossbow.

If I didn't have bad shoulders, I would stand hunt with a bow using heavier aluminum arrows for better penetration but hunting from a blind does not allow for all that much room and a crossbow is the winner.

Like anything else, either one is a winner if you become proficient.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    Crossbows offer a smaller compact package that can be aimed in a more conventional fashion, utilizing optics and do not require that you hold back tension manually while you wait for your shot. But the longer arrow of the bow allows for more storage of kinetic energy which will allow for a harder hit over a longer distance than a crossbow.

If I didn't have bad shoulders, I would stand hunt with a bow using heavier aluminum arrows for better penetration but hunting from a blind does not allow for all that much room and a crossbow is the winner.

Like anything else, either one is a winner if you become proficient.

I don't know what kind of crossbow you have, but newer models shoot arrows (yes they are called arrows vs. bolts) that are just as heavy. Crossbows are shooting speeds that exceed compound bows. In my case, the carbon crossbow arrows are heavier than my bow arrows, only 2" shorter, and speed is about 80fps faster.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    30+ years ago, there was no choice: unless you're disabled, you have to use a bow. I hunted for years with a bow at first.

Recently, crossbows can be used for hunting by everyone. Technically, my choice is with the crossbow: you can hold your aim forever and not spook a dear when you draw. It is almost like shooting a gun: you have a scope and your shots are more predictable.

Aesthetically, my choice is with a recurve bow w/o any sights shooting from muscle memory. The more experienced the hunter, the more likely they are to challenge themselves and hunt using the most primitive of tools.

This really boils down to what type of experience the hunter is looking for and how long they've been hunting.

Elaborate on shots are more predictable.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    Sounds like you are a Xbow hunter that wants to call himself a bow hunter?

Really? How long have you bow hunted stud? I picked up my first bow about 20 years ago. I prefer a bow, but wanted to see the smack that would be laid down....like calling crossbows for kitties. That and inaccurate statements. The point being that most of the smack probably comes from folks that have never even used a crossbow. I submit that a bow is easier to shoot with consistent accuracy. Even with a scope, I cannot stack arrows like I can with a bow even from a supported position. The only advantage I've found with the crossbow is extended range.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    You need to practice a lot more with a compound/traditional bow. A crossbow has a much lower learning curve for proficiency.

Sent from my smartphone using Tappatalk 2.

It depends on what your standard is. I will not shoot the same aim point with my bow because I'll split carbon arrows. Not so much with a crossbow.

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    I can't do this without sounding like a prick so I will keep it short! My crossbow has sat in the corner since the third day I got it and that is where it will stay. No trolling thread will change my mind about it!

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    It depends on what your standard is. I will not shoot the same aim point with my bow because I'll split carbon arrows. Not so much with a crossbow.
    I'm kind of guessing it depends on what kind of compound/traditional bow you're shooting vs. the type of cross bow.

A very experienced bow hunting friend of mine kills over 30 deer a year. He uses a PSE Tac 15 bow that costs a pretty penny in the bow world. Prior to that, he shot some of the best compound bows you could buy.

I change aim points with my crossbow and my compound bow. The lighted nockes are expensive to replace.

Someday, I'd like to harvest a deer ethically with a recurve bow and maybe with an atlatl.

There's a reason why you needed to be handicapped in order to hunt with a crossbow, until recently (hunters in MD have declined from 100K to 50K in the last 10 years).

Kbroc2

Jun 1, 2013
    Harford
    If I wasn't for rampant deer populations and the state basically opening season to harvest as many deer as possible, I would say crossbows shouldn't be allowed to be used in bow season unless disabled they are effectively short range guns that I believe aren't in the spirit of bow hunting. However they are awesome weapons with many upsides

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    I can't do this without sounding like a prick so I will keep it short! My crossbow has sat in the corner since the third day I got it and that is where it will stay. No trolling thread will change my mind about it!

I just finished saying I prefer bow. You Can call this trolling or call it seeing who knows what they are talking about vs. who just talks. It was inevitable that someone would come out and say something smart like hunters that use crossbows are somehow less than those who use bows. I've hunted with a crossbow exactly three times. It has a place as an option, but is not as easy as some would think. After dragging for a mile on Friday with pack, stand, and crossbow I would have definitely preferred a bow....the shot I had to make was irrelevant. That said, I won't bust on anyone using a crossbow because it isn't as easy to shoot well as a bow in my opinion. Again, my definition of shooting well may be different than others.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    I just finished saying I prefer bow. You Can call this trolling or call it seeing who knows what they are talking about vs. who just talks. It was inevitable that someone would come out and say something smart like hunters that use crossbows are somehow less than those who use bows. I've hunted with a crossbow exactly three times. It has a place as an option, but is not as easy as some would think. After dragging for a mile on Friday with pack, stand, and crossbow I would have definitely preferred a bow....the shot I had to make was irrelevant. That said, I won't bust on anyone using a crossbow because it isn't as easy to shoot well as a bow in my opinion. Again, my definition of shooting well may be different than others.
    I have a small confession. I'm getting older and my friends that hunt are too. Two years ago they refused to hunt with crossbows until temperatures really dropped after January. Old and cold = hard to place an ethical shot even with the 50% drop off on a compound bow. They miss the fact that when they were young they could hold the draw forever. They're not disabled, but they are all about making an ethical shot. If someone is a better shot with a compound bow or a recurve bow they should stick with what they are good at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    partyboytowsonhigh1956

Latest threads

Top Bottom