• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    A 686 is a very nice gun and deserves more than dresser duty.

Maverick0313

Retired and loving it
    Jul 16, 2009
    Bridgeville, DE
    Wife has a 686+....shoots it well, has 7 rds of Guard Dog it in.....AND.....takes it to the range, shoots .38 to practice....finishes off with Guard Dog so she knows what to expect.

Shazam

Dec 20, 2012
    My nightstand gun lives a lonely life and seldom goes anywhere. It just sits quietly in it's little hiding place. The cool guns, including other prettier and sexier revolvers get taken out to the range.

It's a homely ex-security guard S&W 10 with FBI load.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    Hopefully anyone counting on a nightstand gun will take it to the range and practice with it several times a year.

Jarhead FLSTI

Aug 31, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I love revolvers but keep my CZ75 SP01 as my 'nightstand gun'. I just feel more confident knowing that I have 19 rounds of G2 RIP in my hand.

I know revolvers are typically more reliable but after running several hundred rounds through my SP01, I have confidence that it will go bang when needed. I have also run several magazine of my choice ammo to ensure there are not feeding/ejection issues.

I recently picked up some Liberty Civil Defense ammo that I want to try as well and see how it compares to the G2 RIP.

Rattlesnake46319

Curmidget
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jefferson County, MO
    Another vote against .45LC/.410 revolvers. While S&W makes better products than Taurus, take it from someone who has owned a Judge. The concept is novelty garbage. Short barrel + rifling = maybe hitting a man sized target at 7 yards. I've had all my shot hit a silhouette and then bracket without hitting on the next trigger pull. Specialty ammunition doesn't help either. You can't stuff enough buckshot or discs or whatever in a .410 shell to be effective with that platform. And you will want buckshot. Birdshot, in the words of Ol' Painless at The Box O' Truth, is for birds.

As noted above, there are better ways to deliver .45LC than a Judge or Governor.

The only thing a .45LC/.410 revolver has going for it is sheer weight. You can club a baby seal with one. Or you can swing a tire iron which has more reach.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Another vote against .45LC/.410 revolvers. While S&W makes better products than Taurus, take it from someone who has owned a Judge. The concept is novelty garbage. Short barrel + rifling = maybe hitting a man sized target at 7 yards. I've had all my shot hit a silhouette and then bracket without hitting on the next trigger pull. Specialty ammunition doesn't help either. You can't stuff enough buckshot or discs or whatever in a .410 shell to be effective with that platform. And you will want buckshot. Birdshot, in the words of Ol' Painless at The Box O' Truth, is for birds.

As noted above, there are better ways to deliver .45LC than a Judge or Governor.

The only thing a .45LC/.410 revolver has going for it is sheer weight. You can club a baby seal with one. Or you can swing a tire iron which has more reach.

The difference between the Judge and Governor is about the same as a chevette and a corvette. Fired the Judge when they came out, thought it sucked, bad accuracy, bad shot patterns, 5rds, slowww to reload, bulky and heavy while having a short and uncomfortable grip, the 3" is even worse.

The Governor is actually pretty cool, a buddy sold his judge and bought one, it is basically a 325 night guard stretched 3/4 of an inch, the 325NG is probably one of the most awesome revolvers I've fired, but never got a chance to buy before it went out of production. Has 6 shots instead of the Judges 5, tritium front sight, alloy frame and barrel vs steel, so better balance, shorter OAL, and a full grip, and FAR better trigger. The 45ACP/moon clip capability is probably the best feature, and it ejects them with room to spare, shotshells are pulled about 3/4 the way out by the ejector. I'm still not sold on shotshells for defense, in this they limit it to 6rds then a slow awkward reload where the 45ACP can be loaded about as fast as a mag. Federal has a 000 load (2.5" 4x000 or 3" 5x000), buffer and rifling specific wad system that solves most of the inherent problems, and is probably the only defensive shot load I would consider, looks impressive in gel.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Before selecting a specific gun, you should ask yourself these (and, possibly, other) important questions:
    • Where do I live and is over-penetration an issue (it's more of an issue if you live with your family in a small apartment in town rather than alone in a single-family house out in the country)?
    • What type of firearm do I have the most experience/comfort with? (Remember, you're likely gonna be half-asleep when forced to reach for that gun next to your bed! Can you handle a powerful sidearm at 3.23am when petrified with your wife screaming in your ear?)
    • What type(s) of threat am I most worried about (e.g., strange noise downstairs, home invasion by multiple intruders, robbery, someone I know who's threatened me, SHTF, etc.)?
    • How well can I (and/or my spouse) tolerate loud noises in my bedroom?
    • What types of crimes are typical in your neighborhood?

Perfect starting point.

Bravo.

jonb219

Oct 17, 2013
    Falling Waters, WV
    686 looks better than a GP100? :eek:

I disagree. :cool:

14bcc30fd7fa6303798d4fe2e763b78d.jpg

You make a compelling argument. Very nice!:whoa:

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    I keep a loaded (.357) SP101 in my nightstand and a S&W SD9VE (with a very bright tactical light attached), plus a couple of extra mags loaded for the Smith. The 9mm is just in case there are extra friends or zombies hanging around.

Armati

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 6, 2013
    Baltimore
    Reality check:

The gunfighting Rule of 3:

The vast majority of all gunfights take place at 3 yards or less, are over in 3 seconds or less, and 3 rounds or less are fired.

The old smoke wagon still works just fine.

One of the things lost in modern pistol training is an over emphasis on Camp Perry style marksmanship.

To the OP, get a nice wheelgun and a copy of "Kill or Get Killed" by Col. Rex Applegate. There is nothing new under the sun.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    686 looks better than a GP100? :eek:

I disagree. :cool:

14bcc30fd7fa6303798d4fe2e763b78d.jpg

I absolutely love my blued GP100. Still, it's not as pretty as a 586, in my opinion. I'm no fan of the wood inlay on the rubber grips. If you're going with rubber, put a Monogrip on it and call it a day. Otherwise, stick with the all wood slabsides.

Again, just my opinion. Both are fine guns and git er done.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    I love my 686 but for a night stand gun I used to use my Taurus 66. 7 rounds of 357 magnum and if I ever had to use it I didn't have to worry about the Police siezing it. I sold it when I bought the 686 and regret doing so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom