• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HarCo.45

Nov 4, 2010
    Benelli SBE II w/ Hornady sst's in the slug zones... Or a Sako 85 Finnlight in .308 for rifle areas.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    Ill be out looking for hunters. I always get a couple free stands left on my property. :)

got any free stands you want to give away? :D

I'm going to give deer hunting a try for the first time myself. I'm planning on using a cross bow borrowed from a friend as well as his pop up blind. The deer I'll be hunting (private land) are very used to humans and won't mind my scent at least the first time. My buddy will come and field dress it and take it to a nearby farm where we can hang it. He said he would butcher it too. I'll just need to watch and learn. I may go this week end. Not really worried about getting a trophy, just a deer or two and then to the butcher for some pork and beef to mix. I'll borrow a meat grinder as well for all the processing. If I like it and want to do it every year then I'll get my own stuff.

Hunting is not new to me, just deer hunting.

Dantheman

Jan 26, 2011
    Thanks for the tip. Sounds dangerous if the orange army will be shooting at the deer going in my direction. Maybe I should acquire a vest?

I hunted Fred Shed once and only once. Ill never go back. The only time was opening day about 10 years ago. I remember taking a 30 minute walk into the woods in the dark. By sun rise I counted 15+ hunters within eyesight and more when I immediatley walked out. It was actually kinda freaky and I would have felt much better with a plate of steel covering my vitals. Theres much much better public land to hunt in rifle country.

IjustCantAim

Jan 20, 2010
    got any free stands you want to give away? :D

Hunting is not new to me, just deer hunting.

I just gave two away that were left on my property. One had a 15 foot ladder and the stand looked like it would fit two people. It was huge. Dragged it out of the woods with my four wheeler. :)

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I'm looking forward to Saturday morning and evening. Probably won't make it Sunday morning, but, certainly be there Sunday afternoon. I plan to hunt the entire 2 weeks mornings and afternoons. I'll be hardcore this year.

highwayheat

highwayheat
    Jun 13, 2012
    Ceciltucky
    Did anyone have any luck? I knew the wind would probably be a factor. My oldest and I went out anyway and played the direction of the wind and had no movement all day. I stayed as long as I could before my son said he was really cold. I'm off all this coming week so I'll be out trying my luck again.

sykesville

Ultimate Member
    You could try frederick city watershed. Get there early and walk in about a mile or so to avoid the orange army. When the idiots show up they will push the deer your direction.

This IS rifle country, correct? I don't see anything about needing reservations. Anyone know? I was thinking about going to the Hanover watershed, but apparently one needs to have reservations. It's really impossible to find a place to hunt and understand at first glance what is allowed and what is required. I have a license, etc., and want to use a rifle on Sunday 25 Nov. Any more options as far as where to go close to Howard County Sykesville, but obviously not in Howard County? thanks

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    This IS rifle country, correct? I don't see anything about needing reservations. Anyone know? I was thinking about going to the Hanover watershed, but apparently one needs to have reservations. It's really impossible to find a place to hunt and understand at first glance what is allowed and what is required. I have a license, etc., and want to use a rifle on Sunday 25 Nov. Any more options as far as where to go close to Howard County Sykesville, but obviously not in Howard County? thanks

Yes you can use a rifle here. No no reservations needed. Print out a map and take it with you http://www.dnr.state.md.us/wildlife/Publiclands/western/fcw_cwma.asp. You can only hunt private property sunday though the public areas still dont allow sunday hunting. May wanna take a compass with you also or a gps. Hint Hint the pond 3/4 of the way twords the top almost halfway between right hand fork rd and left hand fork rd is a decent little spot. Look for the 10ft rock wall about 50yds to the south of pond. Its about a 35min hike in from right hand fork rd.

sykesville

Ultimate Member
    Yes you can use a rifle here. No no reservations needed. Print out a map and take it with you http://www.dnr.state.md.us/wildlife/Publiclands/western/fcw_cwma.asp. You can only hunt private property sunday though the public areas still dont allow sunday hunting. May wanna take a compass with you also or a gps. Hint Hint the pond 3/4 of the way twords the top almost halfway between right hand fork rd and left hand fork rd is a decent little spot. Look for the 10ft rock wall about 50yds to the south of pond. Its about a 35min hike in from right hand fork rd.

Dang, hadn't thought about not being able to hunt on Sundays on public land! Thanks very much, you saved me from a crime! And thanks for the rest of the information as well!

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I bagged this nice 8 pointer this evening at 5:13PM. Came out at 15 yards and I was setting on the ground on my trusty old black milk crate as usual. Spend a lot of time in trees only to take the trophy on the ground during a Full Moon. This is my 5th buck on a Full moon. Typical hunting for me. I even recovered the slug. That was a first.

Attachments

• 1126121841.jpg
      1126121841.jpg
      69.2 KB · Views: 165
    • 1126121840.jpg
      1126121840.jpg
      51.4 KB · Views: 161
    • FULL MOON BUCK NOV 26, 2012 REM BH 20 GA.jpg
      FULL MOON BUCK NOV 26, 2012 REM BH 20 GA.jpg
      36.7 KB · Views: 135
    Last edited:
    This is my opening day buck. I took him at 6:35 am in first light. A small 7 point rack, but he looked chunky so I took him. Used a Lightfield Hybred Magnum 20 gauge slug from. Savage 220. Ran towards my stand and dropped as you see him. No exit wound, I recovered the slug and the wad. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354323151.769396.jpg

Nothinghead

Jun 29, 2011
    Severna Park
    Going back out to Westminster tomorrow with the 760. Going to sit all day, and hope for two for the freezer. Won't have to buy groceries all winter at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom