• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Here's an argument for open carry. Open Carry

For myself...it's a situational thing...though admittedly I think open carry is like having a sign that says "Shoot Me FIrst!" But if many carry openly a criminal will...or should...realize he's outgunned and to look for greener pastures. It can go both ways.

Since I've been in AZ for over a year now...only once have I seen anyone open carry...outside of a gun store employee. As far as people here carrying concealed...I have no idea...concealed means concealed!

I just took the training course for AZ concealed carry license over the weekend. While there's no requirement for a license to carry in AZ there are advantages...no background check when buying a firearm so the sales process is speeded up. There is also reciprocity with 37 other states which is a big plus.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    There are times I would prefer open carry.

As far as the "shoot me first" thing, I think it's more of a myth than anything else. Criminals are risk averse, believe it or not. Generally speaking, they much rather choose weak victims, rather than go after someone who appears ready and willing to fight.

My 2 cents

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Yet people continue to press the point.

I did not need to read the article(though I did). It made ll the same points I understand, having a bit common sense.

Last edited:

GenoBluzGtr

Mar 23, 2018
    I would definitely carry something larger and more powerful, were it not for the need to conceal it.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    As noted, there is zero proof that OC makes you more of a target than CC.
    yeah there's an OC website where folks discuss their OC adventures, and predominantly they say that no one even notices.

concealed is nice as you can walk in stores etc that frown on 2A with no issues.

Virginia is nice as you can do both and not worry about printing, showing, etc.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    OC is not for me. I don't have the retention skills to overcome someone who might be attracted to my firearm.

I have to fall back on old age and cunning.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    OC is not for me. I don't have the retention skills to overcome someone who might be attracted to my firearm.

I have to fall back on old age and cunning.

beware old men.jpg

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    When I lived out of state and carried I never had any problem.
    It was for some years and before the rank and file locals in Maryland even had thoughts to even carry were permitted.
    People just need to get around more instead of being all scared all the time.
    I get it for those who think they may be overcome, that makes sense or for those that have deep rooted fears they're going to get jumped.
    On this site I remember reading about people looking for things like printing, bulges etc.
    Who gives a dam when you really get down to it if you asked me.
    It must be horrible to live in a world where you have to be so damned scared of everything all the time is what I say.
    Hey, theirs a guy with a gun!
    Well if he's not pointing at me, so the F what?

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    There are times I would prefer open carry.

As far as the "shoot me first" thing, I think it's more of a myth than anything else. Criminals are risk averse, believe it or not. Generally speaking, they much rather choose weak victims, rather than go after someone who appears ready and willing to fight.

My 2 cents
    If im fishing or on boat Im open carrying. In town/regular public im ccw.

But yeah if a bad guy is going to shoot someone hes gonna go for a gun freezone. But still theres stupid people that will go into a gun store to try and rob them...

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    OC is situational and equipment dependent. 99% of the time, compact pistol concealed AIWB, best all around IMO. Of course it does help normalize it by dramatically increasing your chances of a conversation with awkward gun folk or bitchy Karens. When hiking or biking, I do like to OC, more comfortable, more secure, and can carry a larger pistol, kinda nice on dirt bike trails up in bear and meth territory. I don't really buy into the danger/deterrent thing, figure most of the time 90% of the population won't notice someone carrying open. It is a good idea to be 100% about where you can or can't carry, and to have some form of retention holster and at least entertain the idea of training to counter a gun grab. Good for CC or OC, but the chances of needing to use that information may be more likely when carrying open.

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    I'm not a fan of open carry myself, but people should do what they're most comfortable with.

I don't want attention or curiosity from anyone else for carrying a firearm. Concealed means concealed and I like that. I'm focused on applying my practiced skills should it be necessary to draw and fire in the face of a threat.

paperwork351

no error code for stupid
    Mar 7, 2008
    Gaithersburg
    OC is situational and equipment dependent. 99% of the time, compact pistol concealed AIWB, best all around IMO. Of course it does help normalize it by dramatically increasing your chances of a conversation with awkward gun folk or bitchy Karens. When hiking or biking, I do like to OC, more comfortable, more secure, and can carry a larger pistol, kinda nice on dirt bike trails up in bear and meth territory. I don't really buy into the danger/deterrent thing, figure most of the time 90% of the population won't notice someone carrying open. It is a good idea to be 100% about where you can or can't carry, and to have some form of retention holster and at least entertain the idea of training to counter a gun grab. Good for CC or OC, but the chances of needing to use that information may be more likely when carrying open.
    How prevelant is snatch and grab? Some videos on YT. Being distracted isn't helpful. How effective is the
    Safariland ALS or the one you push down then forward to draw? I can't remember the model of the second
    holster. Blackhawk Sherpa?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    When I lived out of state and carried I never had any problem.
    It was for some years and before the rank and file locals in Maryland even had thoughts to even carry were permitted.
    People just need to get around more instead of being all scared all the time.
    I get it for those who think they may be overcome, that makes sense or for those that have deep rooted fears they're going to get jumped.
    On this site I remember reading about people looking for things like printing, bulges etc.
    Who gives a dam when you really get down to it if you asked me.
    It must be horrible to live in a world where you have to be so damned scared of everything all the time is what I say.
    Hey, theirs a guy with a gun!
    Well if he's not pointing at me, so the F what?
    If im fishing or on boat Im open carrying. In town/regular public im ccw.

But yeah if a bad guy is going to shoot someone hes gonna go for a gun freezone. But still theres stupid people that will go into a gun store to try and rob them...
    Yup. When I'm out and about, I'd rather be OC. I rarely make unplanned stops when I'm out running around. Often times, I'm somewhere out in the countryside, where most folks aren't skeert of guns. If I know I will be amongst more civilized people(:sarcasm:), I will be CC.
    As for printing, I don't GAF. People have all kinds of junk strapped to them or hanging from their belts these days. If John Q Citizen notices I'm carrying concealed, he probably is a gun person anyway. If a perspective thug notices, well that's OK too. He'll get the message(or not).

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    I lived in Arizona in the late 70s, then you could only open carry, unless you were LE, or a very few other special exemptions. The problem was folks calling the police on you, just a bit of a hassle. Was even asked to cover it up or leave it in the car in a few places. Was always wishing I could legally conceal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom