• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vendicator

Nov 5, 2010
    So, who wants to open up the gun range in the back of a restaurant? :D

Say you are going to the range, which allows you to transport there, and the restaurant is only available to the private members of the gun range. Let the loopholes commence!

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    So what is the big thrill to carrying a gun? Is that the whole point, carrying just to carry? You might want to examine your motivations a little.

I wear a heavy cumbersome tool belt all day at work. I am glad to get the damn thing off at the end of the day. Sometimes I amuse myself imagining a bizarro world where people think wearing a tool belt is cool. Of course, you'd need G&S to get a tool belt permit, and you can forget that in Maryland, unless you're a professional tradesman. All the Harry Homeowners would envy my awesome coolness in that bizarro world! They would sit at home watching tv while wearing their tool belts, but couldn't wear one in public without a permit.

Is it just maybe about wanting to reassure yourself that you're not one of the sheep?

By the way, in many Dry parts of Texas, alcohol is only sold at "private clubs". My sister has memberships at several restaurants near her house.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Dog Show ! It IS one of the 4-203 approved events. Have one of the members give an exhibition with their Lab , and a retrieving dummy.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    You cannot carry from one legal place to another. The MD statute is has a specific list of places/activities where you can carry. All must be unloaded in an enclosed holster or case. See MD stattute 4-203.

Not a very good method of self defense.

Last edited:

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    So, who wants to open up the gun range in the back of a restaurant? :D

Say you are going to the range, which allows you to transport there, and the restaurant is only available to the private members of the gun range. Let the loopholes commence!

The question here is would the restricted access customer base be able to sustain the required restaurant business? Perhaps turning it around to looking at it as a range with a restaurant...

So what is the big thrill to carrying a gun? Is that the whole point, carrying just to carry? You might want to examine your motivations a little...

Was my immediate thought when I read the OP.

If and when I am able to legally carry a gun, I don't really want anyone to know I have it. It's my business how I would defend myself and for the person to find out if they threaten me to the point that I am justified to use it. I plan to be one of those little old ladies with a permit packin a pistol in my patent leather pocketbook with the big buckle. :) don't underestimate those types.

Why would I want to open carry a gun?

You cannot carry from one legal place to another. The MD statute is has a specific list of places/activities where you can carry. All must be unloaded in an enclosed holster or case. See MD stattute 4-203.

Not a very good methoid of self defense.

Can we use it as a blunt object if needed during transport? :D

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Why wouldn't someone want to open carry (assuming it was legal)?

I'm not provoked in the least by someone carrying. I much prefer concealed, but if MD had constitutional, I'd consider it a huge step foward compared to where we currently are today.

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    You might want to examine your motivations a little.

this is what we in Maryland call battered gun owner syndrome, it even happens to folks who have been around a long time.

-what is the safest place to keep your gun (on your person)
    -when might you need it (any time is possible)
    -why shouldn't we excersize a right wherever it is not restricted (no reason not to do it whenever we can)

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    If and when I am able to legally carry a gun, I don't really want anyone to know I have it. It's my business how I would defend myself and for the person to find out if they threaten me to the point that I am justified to use it. I plan to be one of those little old ladies with a permit packin a pistol in my patent leather pocketbook with the big buckle. :) don't underestimate those types.

and what is 25% of the population open carried. would you rather be open carrying or only concealed.

inthat scenario concealment would be more likely to have a criminal think that you are unnarmed and a better target than someone OCing.

just saying that there are times for both, sometimes OC is preventing something before it ever starts where CC is only handling an already dangerous situation.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Sounds like a hoot of a good time. Lets all throw our shootin irons on and sit at someone's place and open carry inside while eating. :rolleyes:

Like a nerd convention for gun owners?

To the OP, not legal. Transport to and from shooting area unloaded etc.

On a side note, what is the penalty for getting caught carrying?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    On a daily basis the OC/CC question is very nuanced and complex ( and I'm not going to address in this thread ).

For a specific event that is quasi or semi- public , it can potentially normalize the public perceptions of gun ownership , and gun carry to be shown as somthing widespread among otherwise normal , everyday citizens. .

nutz

Closer to 5's than 10's
    Jun 29, 2011
    Near Indian Head, Md.
    All the Harry Homeowners would envy my awesome coolness in that bizarro world! They would sit at home watching tv while wearing their tool belts, but couldn't wear one in public without a permit.
    Guess I better close my shades, somebody's been peeking in :innocent0

Attachments

• handyman.jpg
      handyman.jpg
      27.2 KB · Views: 124

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    this is what we in Maryland call battered gun owner syndrome, it even happens to folks who have been around a long time.

It is not BGOS. You completely miss my point.

The OP proposes a club where people will carry for the sake of carrying. Indeed, a sort of nerd convention for gun owners.

Someone who carries regularly is going to get over the novelty pretty quickly.

The assumption is that the rare opportunity to actually wear a gun, if only for the sake of wearing a gun, is so awesomely cool, like a fantasy come to life, that people will line up and pay money to taste the dream come true...

Hell, maybe they would. But why?

sorry if I'm breaking an unwritten rule by busting anyone's bubble.

Last edited:

dapefley

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2013
    Hughesville MD
    My point is to somehow exercise our rights, within the legal limits of the law here in Maryland. The vast majority of MD gun owners are unable to carry a gun. Plus, why wouldn't we want to carry as often as possible? Or piss off the anti group even more?

There has to be some kind of way to go about doing that. I am not saying it is "viable" but it is definitely a possibility, at least I think...

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    My point is to somehow exercise our rights, within the legal limits of the law here in Maryland. The vast majority of MD gun owners are unable to carry a gun. Plus, why wouldn't we want to carry as often as possible? Or piss off the anti group even more?

There has to be some kind of way to go about doing that. I am not saying it is "viable" but it is definitely a possibility, at least I think...

Yeah like crossing the border into America. Especially with a Utah permit.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The best exercise of your rights is fighting in the GA or moving.. What is to be gained by walking around with your gun on in a specific location if you cannot protect you and your family everywhere you have a legal right to be?

Seems like a wasted effort to me. Walking around in one place with your gun seems a big waste of time IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    KD96

Latest threads

Top Bottom