• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I don't call a person, I call the automated line (410-653-4500, Option 8) and get to listen to a woman tell me the dates they are working on. And my point it that they don't even keep that updated ...or they make no progress. To update that line each morning with current data would take someone about 30 seconds....it should be the first thing they do each AM so that we know the status and folks don't call to speak to them in person.

Automated, huh...that's a step in the right direction. Sucks they can't make progress, though.

Pmbspyder

Platinum Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    Your not looking at this the right way.

26,000 applications processed prior to 10-1 = Zero $

26,000 applications processed after 10-1 X $50.00 for HQL = $1,300,000.00 in the Pirate Chest.

This post is all that needs to be said. The MD gov are crooks and the MSP is being used as an extension to do their bidding

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Your not looking at this the right way.

26,000 applications processed prior to 10-1 = Zero $

26,000 applications processed after 10-1 X $50.00 for HQL = $1,300,000.00 in the Pirate Chest.

1) You are already paying $10 for each application processed.

2) You are making a BIG assumption, that each application is from a different person. How many people here have multiple applications in? Only one $50 fee per person per 10 years. Or $5 a year.

And of course, the are costs involved with processing those HQLs.

And anyway, $1.3 million is PEANUTS to the government.

Along with passing SB281, they passed a $37 BILLION budget.

At $37 BILLION works out to $4.223 MILLION every HOUR, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

So they go through $1.3 million in about 18 minutes 28 seconds.

rmiddle

Ultimate Member
    Sep 8, 2012
    Cleveland, TN
    You log into the MVA with a password that is approved by the MVA. To keep people honest, they run random audits on their systems. The password ultimately may lead to showing the person responsible for abusing sensitive information. Every system is run by a different government entity with different audits and different passwords. Some of the systems do not interface with one another because the databases were created by different companies. How much would it cost tax payers to redo every single goverment database so they are able to communicate with one another using one simple log on?
    On the bright side, almost everything the State Police does with purchase applications requires manual data entry. Funding has been approved for an automated system that will eliminate much of the manual process, freeing up more people to concentrate on record checks. And just in time for everything else to be delayed for the new hql that will NOT be electronic for a few years yet. Oh boy!

Do you know anything about IT? I do things like that all the time. It isn't hard as long as you have a solid API to use. Even when you don't have a solid API there are work around and ways to make it work.

Thanks
    Robert

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Do you know anything about IT? I do things like that all the time. It isn't hard as long as you have a solid API to use. Even when you don't have a solid API there are work around and ways to make it work.

Thanks
    Robert

I work it IT. And no there is no API. Some of these databases are so old they should have been retired in 1960. Then there is the data translation problem. My guess is that the data comes up a a series of codes and each system needs detailed training to understand the output.

For example a line might read f2 5 1 pr 3 yr.

This may mean class 2 felony sentence 5 years probation after 1 yr 3 yrs remaining.

This is how it was done in the dark ages before the internet and all the fun times of sql. It used to be that the entire mainfraime had 64k ( thats right K ) of core memory--- that's why codes were used instead of text.

By by all means bid on the contract.. I want no part of it, its bad enough I am force to work with this ...

Wish I never got into IT.

Mr H

Banana'd
    By all accounts, yes... the systems are farting dust.

If I am hearing it correctly, not only must a Trooper be the sole one to work an app all the through, it may also be that they must do it all on the same computer for each step of the app.

With the number of Troopers doing the work increasing, and the number of systems remaining the same, I shudder to think of the amount of idle time and confusion that is causing, and the inefficiencies that result from having to jump around to grab the next available machine.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    By all accounts, yes... the systems are farting dust.

If I am hearing it correctly, not only must a Trooper be the sole one to work an app all the through, it may also be that they must do it all on the same computer for each step of the app.

With the number of Troopers doing the work increasing, and the number of systems remaining the same, I shudder to think of the amount of idle time and confusion that is causing, and the inefficiencies that result from having to jump around to grab the next available machine.

That sounds like either hard terminals or the use of host or Ip based securtity as an additional check on unauthorized access. Many old systems were hardwired and assumed physical lines and SNA as all or part of the architecture for security. Many send passwords in clear on login because they assume a secure line of communication. Then they used terminal emulation or SNA and then IP, SNA was secure in part, but IP is wide open without encryption. Thus a big problem.

The one trooper one app idea, is likely part of a 'need to know ' protocol to ensure that a few people as possible access an individuals records.. It makes auditing easier and may or may not be enforced by the system, but it could be used to help prevent information leakage.

This is all guess work of course.

Mr H

Banana'd
    That sounds like either hard terminals or the use of host or Ip based securtity as an additional check on unauthorized access. Many old systems were hardwired and assumed physical lines and SNA as all or part of the architecture for security. Many send passwords in clear on login because they assume a secure line of communication. Then they used terminal emulation or SNA and then IP, SNA was secure in part, but IP is wide open without encryption. Thus a big problem.

The one trooper one app idea, is likely part of a 'need to know ' protocol to ensure that a few people as possible access an individuals records.. It makes auditing easier and may or may not be enforced by the system, but it could be used to help prevent information leakage.

This is all guess work of course.

Guesswork, indeed...

When all we hear is an amalgam of heresay and partial knowledge, then yeah... All we can do is mash it together and pull out the parts that make some kind of sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ddsabedra

Latest threads

Top Bottom