• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I think since they are calling it a pistol it will transfer as one and need the HQL. Don't see an FFL taking in a pistol and then checking "other" on the form.

If it were being considered as a pistol in and of itself, you could not purchase it in MD unless on the Handgun Roster.

ascorb

Mar 2, 2016
    We have sold the 9mm version of that same lower at Scott's Gunsmithing. I used one to build an AR 9mm pistol using a 10 1/2" barreled upper. We have the dedicated 9mm in stock for the past few months (usually....depends on how many have sold recently). Yes, that transfers on the Federal 4473 as an 'Other' firearm. The AR15 (5.56 cal compatible) version would have to also use a MD 77R with the requisite 7 day wait although an HQL is not required (other dedicated calibers.....9mm, 308, etc do not require a 77R. When you do the buyer's part of the 77R process online, on the screen with the HQL, check the exemption block and that will allows the exemption for a lower receiver. Selecting that exemption also cleans up the sellers side of the transaction making Barrel Length unavailable and pre specifying Lower Receiver on the Firearm screen as well as opens possibilities under model specifications to other than Handgun Roster models.

Okay, I selected exempted and selected lower reciever. Honestly, I would have never guessed that was an option. Thanks for all of your tips!

ascorb

Mar 2, 2016
    If it were being considered as a pistol in and of itself, you could not purchase it in MD unless on the Handgun Roster.

It wouldn’t be considered a pistol even though it's labeled "lower receiver and has pistol in the name". I learned from this thread that it must have a barrel attached to be called anything other than a lower receiver of some sort. This also means that I cannot actually order a fully built AR pistol off line. I guess ordering a complete lower pistol would be the easiest method if you don’t want to build from an 80 percent lower or if you are really lazy like me. This thread has been very informational.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Okay, I selected exempted and selected lower reciever. Honestly, I would have never guessed that was an option. Thanks for all of your tips!

For those with an HQL, that can also be specified even though not required. Whenever possible, I encourage our customers to use the exemption, however, because it does some things to set up the sellers firearm info to make it cleaner. Not a really big deal either way....unless, of course, you don't have an HQL.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    It wouldn’t be considered a pistol even though it's labeled "lower receiver and has pistol in the name". I learned from this thread that it must have a barrel attached to be called anything other than a lower receiver of some sort. This also means that I cannot actually order a fully built AR pistol off line. I guess ordering a complete lower pistol would be the easiest method if you don’t want to build from an 80 percent lower or if you are really lazy like me. This thread has been very informational.

Not quite....What it actually would mean (if your ordered a complete pistol) is that it would have to be on the Handgun Roster. There are a few AR pistols on that roster. But of course, ordering a complete AR pistol not only requires entry into the MD Handgun Roster, but eliminates the flexibility you have with customization...i.e. picking out barrel makes, lengths, rail type etc . FYI, dedicated 9mm lowers, presumably because they can't be modified into a banned AR15 configuration, doesn't require a 77R at all! ....Just a 4473 and NICS check.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD

Correct. Neither MD or Fed law differentiates between a stripped lower and a pre built lower. Also, the only reason the description species 'pistol' is because it has a pistol buffer tube installed. You could also buy a similar lower with a Rifle tube and stock or a Carbine tube and stock. Of course, in that case you would need to have an upper with a barrel >= 16 inches and with a barrel either stamped HBAR or described in manufacturers advertising or specifications as 'Heavy BArrel'.

FYI, opinion are like rear ends on this, but I would suggest using a pistol length 5.56 upper at least 10 inches long. Muzzle blast and flash can be quite severe in 5.56. (that's partly why I did my pistol build in 9mm. 9mm is a caliber optimized for use in pistol barrel lengths. I even built my 9mm with a 10-1/2 barrel which pretty well maxes out the ballistics for a 9). Just tossed this out as food for thought (this and related info has been beat to death in other threads).

ascorb

Mar 2, 2016
    Correct. Neither MD or Fed law differentiates between a stripped lower and a pre built lower. Also, the only reason the description species 'pistol' is because it has a pistol buffer tube installed. You could also buy a similar lower with a Rifle tube and stock or a Carbine tube and stock. Of course, in that case you would need to have an upper with a barrel >= 16 inches and with a barrel either stamped HBAR or described in manufacturers advertising or specifications as 'Heavy BArrel'.

FYI, opinion are like rear ends on this, but I would suggest using a pistol length 5.56 upper at least 10 inches long. Muzzle blast and flash can be quite severe in 5.56. (that's partly why I did my pistol build in 9mm. 9mm is a caliber optimized for use in pistol barrel lengths. I even built my 9mm with a 10-1/2 barrel which pretty well maxes out the ballistics for a 9). Just tossed this out as food for thought (this and related info has been beat to death in other threads).

I did some research, I dont think I'll be going 5.56 due to the blast. If I were I think I would go perhaps 11.5 inches and put a linear comp on it. During my research folks suggested 300 BLK as an opimtum caliber for short barrels due to the fact that they do not lose much velocity even down to 9.5 inches. The blast isnt bad either. I could be wrong though

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I did some research, I dont think I'll be going 5.56 due to the blast. If I were I think I would go perhaps 11.5 inches and put a linear comp on it. During my research folks suggested 300 BLK as an opimtum caliber for short barrels due to the fact that they do not lose much velocity even down to 9.5 inches. The blast isnt bad either. I could be wrong though

I don't have any real personal experience with the 300 blackout. I do know a couple people who use that in SBRs that are customers at Scott's. Several use suppressors with their SBR or even a carbine and then use the 220 gr 300 Blackout which is subsonic for extra noise suppression.

I shot an AR pistol built by a friend with a 8" (or thereabouts) barrel and the muzzle blast and flash was substantial. Not horrible....but I would guess it would take some of the fun out for many. I am sure you would also lose quite a bit of energy from the round in barrels that short. Most of our customers use a 10-1/2 or 11-1/2 inch barrel for a pistol build in 5.56. There is a bit of muzzle blast from that even when shooting into our bullet trap. 300 blkout might be worth considering.

ascorb

Mar 2, 2016
    I was warned LOL. I took a leap of faith but was stonewalled by the trash policy. Oh well, I'll just look at other places. Any suggestions? I just replied and asked if Brian Frisch wrote their trash policy.

FROM PSA
    ------------------------------
    Hello,

Our company policy prohibits us from shipping complete pistol lowers to Maryland residents. If neither of the below requirements apply to you, your order will be cancelled in 5 business days if not resolved beforehand.

We will process your order if you are a Federal Firearms License holder or a Law Enforcement Officer with the intent to use this weapon in the line of duty. PSA only recognizes City Police Officers, County Sheriff Deputies, and State Police (including Highway Patrol) as LEOs. If this is the case, please provide a copy of your credentials and a letter on department letterhead signed by your department's superior officer stating that the firearm will be used for duty purposes.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Best regards,
    Compliance Department
    Palmetto State Armory
    P: 803-724-6950
    F: 803-788-797
    --------------------------

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I was warned LOL. I took a leap of faith but was stonewalled by the trash policy. Oh well, I'll just look at other places. Any suggestions? I just replied and asked if Brian Frisch wrote their trash policy.

FROM PSA
    ------------------------------
    Hello,

Our company policy prohibits us from shipping complete pistol lowers to Maryland residents. If neither of the below requirements apply to you, your order will be cancelled in 5 business days if not resolved beforehand.

We will process your order if you are a Federal Firearms License holder or a Law Enforcement Officer with the intent to use this weapon in the line of duty. PSA only recognizes City Police Officers, County Sheriff Deputies, and State Police (including Highway Patrol) as LEOs. If this is the case, please provide a copy of your credentials and a letter on department letterhead signed by your department's superior officer stating that the firearm will be used for duty purposes.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Best regards,
    Compliance Department
    Palmetto State Armory
    P: 803-724-6950
    F: 803-788-797
    --------------------------

The FFL has to order it directly. Not you.

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    Forget PSA, find someplace easier to do business with. I don't blame them for not wanting to deal with Maryland laws (well, okay, yes I do, but it's their business to run) but since they won't ship ammo to MoCo or Naptown, and this whole deal with "if an FFL or LEO orders, its okay, but screw you commoners" ...

Nah. They don't want my money so I'll use it elsewhere.

ascorb

Mar 2, 2016
    Forget PSA, find someplace easier to do business with. I don't blame them for not wanting to deal with Maryland laws (well, okay, yes I do, but it's their business to run) but since they won't ship ammo to MoCo or Naptown, and this whole deal with "if an FFL or LEO orders, its okay, but screw you commoners" ...

Nah. They don't want my money so I'll use it elsewhere.

Honestly, I had a feeling it would happen because folks in this thread warned me. It still felt like a punch to the gun. I think I would have felt better if they didnt have the LEO only thing. It makes me feel like as a commoner I'm not allowed to excercise 2A. I love LEOs, nothing against them.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I contacted bluefins to see if they would do it, it's just a second leap of faith.

There are several IP's that order from them. Some even stock their stuff. I got a PSA full rifle lower from Engage a while back. It was C&C

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom