• ...and so much more!
  • Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    You'll have to use an FFL here for the transfer. That's PSA policy, I'm pretty sure. I'm not sure how the transfer will read. Since it is set up as a pistol, IS it a pistol? Would it require an HQL? I'm not sure.

ascorb

Mar 2, 2016
    You'll have to use an FFL here for the transfer. That's PSA policy, I'm pretty sure. I'm not sure how the transfer will read. Since it is set up as a pistol, IS it a pistol? Would it require an HQL? I'm not sure.
    Yeah, that's what Im confused about lol. I don't necessarily have to get it from PSA but was just wondering if any complete pistol lowers are even able to be legally bought online and transferred than built into a pistol.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

k9guy

Feb 12, 2011
    The other thing you have to look out for is if it was sent as a "pistol" then you would need an HQL and it would have to be on the handgun roster.

That's why most people who build AR pistols in MD start with a stripped lower to avoid these obstacles.

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County

I Was having it sent to an FFL but they said NO lowers stripped or otherwise would be sent to MD. Company policy period. They may have changed their policy but I suggest you call them first. I was able to get a stripped lower from my LGS and built it myself.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Hey outrider, did you go to Atlantic's sale yet? Wonder if there is any parking, I didnt want to lug a rifle through down town silver spring due cause its pretty crowded.

No. I wasn't planning on going.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    I think since they are calling it a pistol it will transfer as one and need the HQL. Don't see an FFL taking in a pistol and then checking "other" on the form.

It is not a pistol until a barrel is installed. Complete pistol and rifle lowers can be transferred as "other".

No HQL handgun roster required. Because this is MD, you will still have to do the online 77R and a 7 day wait.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    It is not a pistol until a barrel is installed. Complete pistol and rifle lowers can be transferred as "other".

No HQL handgun roster required. Because this is MD, you will still have to do the online 77R and a 7 day wait.

Not arguing but am curious.

If a pistol maker wanted to crank out pistol frames so long as they never put a barrel on them they are others?

ascorb

Mar 2, 2016

I just called bluefins to get some more info bit david wont be in until tommorow.

730dc

Mar 11, 2013
    Sorry to butt in but it goes along with this thread any ffl here know if you would need a hql for a ruger 22lr pistol barrel/upper looking to get a pac light upper which is no frame or bolt just he barrel and upper frame with serial # on it

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Not arguing but am curious.

If a pistol maker wanted to crank out pistol frames so long as they never put a barrel on them they are others?

Yeah I know. It seems weird. But you cannot buy , say a Glock lower without an HQL. An awful lot of this stuff makes no sense.

Sorry to butt in but it goes along with this thread any ffl here know if you would need a hql for a ruger 22lr pistol barrel/upper looking to get a pac light upper which is no frame or bolt just he barrel and upper frame with serial # on it

With the Ruger mk series, the barrel is the firearm. One of the reasons I prefer the Buckmark. If you look on the handgun roster, you will see the Pac-lite listed as receiver only

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171029-205225.jpg
      Screenshot_20171029-205225.jpg
      55.3 KB · Views: 97

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    We have sold the 9mm version of that same lower at Scott's Gunsmithing. I used one to build an AR 9mm pistol using a 10 1/2" barreled upper. We have the dedicated 9mm in stock for the past few months (usually....depends on how many have sold recently). Yes, that transfers on the Federal 4473 as an 'Other' firearm. The AR15 (5.56 cal compatible) version would have to also use a MD 77R with the requisite 7 day wait although an HQL is not required (other dedicated calibers.....9mm, 308, etc do not require a 77R. When you do the buyer's part of the 77R process online, on the screen with the HQL, check the exemption block and that will allows the exemption for a lower receiver. Selecting that exemption also cleans up the sellers side of the transaction making Barrel Length unavailable and pre specifying Lower Receiver on the Firearm screen as well as opens possibilities under model specifications to other than Handgun Roster models.

ascorb

Mar 2, 2016
    We have sold the 9mm version of that same lower at Scott's Gunsmithing. I used one to build an AR 9mm pistol using a 10 1/2" barreled upper. We have the dedicated 9mm in stock for the past few months (usually....depends on how many have sold recently). The AR15 (5.56 cal) version would have to also use a MD 77R with the requisite 7 day wait although an HQL is not required. When you do the buyer's part of the 77R process online, on the screen with the HQL, check the exemption block and that will allows the exemption for a lower receiver.

Thanks I'll keep it in mind, I am just happy I dont have to jump through so many hoops. I guess I'll just start my application online.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom