• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    One round in the chamber or no round in chamber? It's a choice and we have two camps.

However, I feel like it is high noon at the O.K. Corral and everyone are facing each other situation with these discussions. No one is using places to cover? So all the bad guys will just walk straight up to you directly where you have no time to rack the slide? If they sneak up behind you without your awareness, you are screwed too even with a round in the chamber.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    I took Japanese sword classes for a short time. In the old days, some Samurai are trained to draw the sword and cut as fast as they can. They want to focus on one draw one cut to kill. So we can't have the same concept as one draw, rack, and shoot with pistol?

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    One round in the chamber or no round in chamber? It's a choice and we have two camps.

However, I feel like it is high noon at the O.K. Corral and everyone are facing each other situation with these discussions. No one is using places to cover? So all the bad guys will just walk straight up to you directly where you have no time to rack the slide? If they sneak up behind you without your awareness, you are screwed too even with a round in the chamber.
    I'd rather have a round in the chamber.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    I took Japanese sword classes for a short time. In the old days, some Samurai are trained to draw the sword and cut as fast as they can. They want to focus on one draw one cut to kill. So we can't have the same concept as one draw, rack, and shoot with pistol?
    You literally added one more step than a samurai swordsman! Why do that?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    So we can't have the same concept as one draw, rack, and shoot with pistol?
    No. There cannot be. Prepare for worst case scenario. Having to shoot the threat with one hand.

You can have that camp of thinking if you want. You can do what you want. However, anyone carrying empty is in no way on the same level as those who do.

Why in the world would you want a threat to have a head start on you?? There might be a scenario you need to slow draw one handed while your other hand cannot move that would give away what you are doing.
    Racking that slide when you have to be quiet can give you away.

People OVERTHINK their abilities. Because they have never trained those abilities. I have worked with Israelis who don't carry "Israeli".
    Also, there is no guarantee that you will rack that slide fully so it goes into battery.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    No. There cannot be. Prepare for worst case scenario. Having to shoot the threat with one hand.

You can have that camp of thinking if you want. You can do what you want. However, anyone carrying empty is in no way on the same level as those who do.

Why in the world would you want a threat to have a head start on you?? There might be a scenario you need to slow draw one handed while your other hand cannot move that would give away what you are doing.
    Racking that slide when you have to be quiet can give you away.

People OVERTHINK their abilities. Because they have never trained those abilities. I have worked with Israelis who don't carry "Israeli".
    Also, there is no guarantee that you will rack that slide fully so it goes into battery.
    That last bit is key. People act as though racking one in is a foolproof procedure, and it is assuredly not in my experience.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    That last bit is key. People act as though racking one in is a foolproof procedure, and it is assuredly not in my experience.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk
    I agree in a panic/super stress situation. You could fail to pull the slide all the way back and not strip a cartridge from the magazine, or you could fail to bring the slide fully forward into battery and not know it.

Not knowing it is the worst part of all

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I agree in a panic/super stress situation. You could fail to pull the slide all the way back and not strip a cartridge from the magazine, or you could fail to bring the slide fully forward into battery and not know it.

Not knowing it is the worst part of all
    Only one way to eliminate that.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    321212902_663085331961977_2465816216594519008_n.jpg

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I have only had one student bring a gun to a class that had a failure solely caused by the gun. It was a revolver. (The semiauto failures were limp wristing, failure to engage grip safety, failure to properly seat magazine, failure to properly manipulate slide - operator errors.)

redsandman6

Dec 22, 2011
    Dundalk
    if you would have to fire from retention i cant see being able to rack the slide. i mean all you have to do is watch enough youtube videos of actual defensive gun usages to know there is very little time to react in most cases

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Here is a good point. I was taking my HK45c out of the holster and somehow hit the mag release. The mag fell to the floor. I carry with one in the chamber always. So if I didn’t and the same thing happened in a draw situation, I would have nothing to shoot.

One is better than none IMO

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Here is a good point. I was taking my HK45c out of the holster and somehow hit the mag release. The mag fell to the floor. I carry with one in the chamber always. So if I didn’t and the same thing happened, I would have nothing to shoot.

One is better than none IMO
    That's another reason why I don't like the mag releases on most HKs.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The point being that a chambered round is better than none, not the location of the mag release. Could also happen if a mag was not fully seated in any brand

I have had mags fall out on racking the slide in different guns than HK

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom