• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    I usually try to understand the other side in any disagreement. For example: while I disagree, I can see someone making the argument that a semi-automatic centerfire rifle and 30 round magazine make such a potentially dangerous combination that we should debate it. (again, I disagree with them)

BUT, where in the world do they really think a flash supressor, bayonette lug, and pistol grip come into play. Unless, they're really doing a Feinstein and looking through a catalog for the scary ones.

sheesh!!

prmorin

Mar 14, 2010
    If they somehow do manage to pass a AWB in Maryland, does anyone have any estimates on what kind of timeline we would be looking at?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Yes, I agree that the proposition of making a lot of people into unwitting criminals might be what gets us grandfathered mags and guns. Definitely an argument that should be made if things don't go well.

If they somehow do manage to pass a AWB in Maryland, does anyone have any estimates on what kind of timeline we would be looking at?
    End of the year, I'm guessing. Maybe October if they're feeling ungenerous. SB516 gave you until October to buy your gun, and until December to register it.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    NO WIGGLE ROOM!!!! That is where we have lost something every time. In 1934 we gave a little and allowed certain firearms to be restricted by the NFA. In 1968 we allowed them to ban import of certain firearms and several other restrictions. In 1986 we lost the right to legally register new machine guns . In the 90's we were fighting this same battle, and we ultimately allowed the first AWB. It is time to take the NO COMPROMISE approach. If we give a little each time, we eventually loose it all. It is time to push no compromise and go on the offensive to repeal the bad laws on the books now. Make them compromise and loose for once.

I agree woth this. If we start talking about compromise it should be the other way around. If semi-automatic rifles are the problem, and need to be under the NFA, then they should open up the MG registry. That would be a real compromise because each side would give up something.

prmorin

Mar 14, 2010
    Yes, I agree that the proposition of making a lot of people into unwitting criminals might be what gets us grandfathered mags and guns. Definitely an argument that should be made if things don't go well.

End of the year, I'm guessing. Maybe October if they're feeling ungenerous. SB516 gave you until October to buy your gun, and until December to register it.

Thanks for the insights, looks like I will at least have time to get another stripped lower in and registered.

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    I agree woth this. If we start talking about compromise it should be the other way around. If semi-automatic rifles are the problem, and need to be under the NFA, then they should open up the MG registry. That would be a real compromise because each side would give up something.

That's generous of you. I don't see that as a compromise but as a reach to destroy civilian firearms ownership. The irony is a government law, the Hughes Amendment to FOPA'86 closed off the MG registry. 22 years later in Heller, MGs weren't considered protected under the 2nd Amendment because they were dangerous and unusual and "not in common use".

So an act by the government, had it not been done, may have extended Constitutional protection to the one class of arms that were militia-worthy. But because they did it, it had the opposite effect.

Do you think semi-autos under the NFA would fare any better? Especially with a manufacturing ban and no legal transfers? How do you think hunters will feel when they find out their Remington 7400/750 requires NFA registration?

You looking forward to the multi-month background check, permanent registration, $200 tax stamp and government permission in advance to go shooting or hunting across state lines?

That's not a compromise. A more than century old technology is not the problem. Revolvers are semi-automatic. Most handguns are too.

The goal of NFA'ing semi-autos is destroy civilian gun ownership once and for all. To make it so onerous and fraught with legal risk (under the NFA, you're assumed in violation until you prove otherwise) that most people will simply turn them in or graciously allow the government to buy them back. How generous! The government using your tax money to bribe your property away from you. You're paying yourself for your own guns.

You're also assuming the bureaucracy tasked with administering the process will be playing above-board under this administration. I am not so charitable. They are after our destruction, nothing more.

No compromise.

Matt

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    That's generous of you. I don't see that as a compromise but as a reach to destroy civilian firearms ownership. The irony is a government law, the Hughes Amendment to FOPA'86 closed off the MG registry. 22 years later in Heller, MGs weren't considered protected under the 2nd Amendment because they were dangerous and unusual and "not in common use".

So an act by the government, had it not been done, may have extended Constitutional protection to the one class of arms that were militia-worthy. But because they did it, it had the opposite effect.

Do you think semi-autos under the NFA would fare any better? Especially with a manufacturing ban and no legal transfers? How do you think hunters will feel when they find out their Remington 7400/750 requires NFA registration?

You looking forward to the multi-month background check, permanent registration, $200 tax stamp and government permission in advance to go shooting or hunting across state lines?

That's not a compromise. A more than century old technology is not the problem. Revolvers are semi-automatic. Most handguns are too.

The goal of NFA'ing semi-autos is destroy civilian gun ownership once and for all. To make it so onerous and fraught with legal risk (under the NFA, you're assumed in violation until you prove otherwise) that most people will simply turn them in or graciously allow the government to buy them back. How generous! The government using your tax money to bribe your property away from you. You're paying yourself for your own guns.

You're also assuming the bureaucracy tasked with administering the process will be playing above-board under this administration. I am not so charitable. They are after our destruction, nothing more.

No compromise.

Matt

This.

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    I wasn't arguing for compromise. Was just saying that with a Dem Gov, Dem Senate, Dem House, and tons of momentum right now that ARE going to pass some sort of gun control measure this session. Since the Republicans have no means to block such legislation in this state, they can do their best to limit the damage and focus on aspects of the coming bill that can be challenged. I firmly believe an AWB will pass this session, but what make up that bill will have is how the minority will effect the outcome. Remember, the Dems in MD don't need ANY republican support at all to pass whatever they want and they could go for a NY style bill if they want. It's pressure from us and moderate legislators that will hopefully prevent that level of new law

Victory or Death

Jul 6, 2012

No compromise.

Matt

:thumbsup: agreed, you don't compromise with someone trying to rob you right?

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    I am in total agreement within you, mpickering. We have been "compromising" much in the past but it hasn't really been a compromise. In the past they have asked us for a foot, and we said no, then they said ok compromise and give us six inches. It was not a compromise because we did all the giving in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom