• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Anything is possible from Colt during that era , but their general intention was the Sporter family of rifles and carbines had the large pins, and were sold through normal distributors, and marketed to the general public.

The rifles and carbines with no names, just model numbers had small( normal) pins, were sold through the LE Distributor network, and marketed to LE, Mil, and foreign sales.

It wasn't illegal ( pre-'94 AWB) to sell a non-Sportster to general public, but Colt Industries severely frowned upon it.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Enjoy your rifle Trepang and keep it original. Here's my clunker (serial number has been obscured). I wouldn't trust my life to it but it's an ok range toy.:

Wondering why you say that? I have an older LE trade one with the restricted roll mark that I got from Lou (RIP) and I would certainly trust my life to it if it was in my possession.

But mine is currently with my FIL who fell in love with it when we took to the the range.:rolleyes:

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I say that because I expect 100% reliability no matter what ammo or magazines I am using. While I have rifles that live up to that standard, I've never fired an AR that can.

Feb 28, 2013
    I say that because I expect 100% reliability no matter what ammo or magazines I am using. While I have rifles that live up to that standard, I've never fired an AR that can.

Curiously enough, I had the very occasional hangup with a store bought gun, but never wif the ones I built...

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown

The M4 carbine is the least reliable of the AR rifle series. But 99% of issues are traceable to magazine, ammo and lube (usually too little).

Can you throw up a picture of the magazine that had issues? What color is the follower and is it anti tilt? The carbines are especially sensitive to magazine issues as the higher gas port pressures and reduced dwell time decrease the time available for feeding.

I've seen an absolute garbage mag feed and function fine in a SCAR that had an out of spec magwell (too tight) that wouldn't work in 8 other rifles. (Feed lips where spread out of spec)

I would choose the AR over any other service rifle in use by any modern military so I admit I'm slightly biased.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Trepang,

Do not worry. That AR will spank any other gun when we arrange a meet time. You have a shrouded firing pin carrier, that is GOOD.

Does the buffer have a H stamped into it?

Here is what I suggest you get to cover all bases:

Colt Action Spring (Yours may be worn)
    Colt Gold Extractor Spring (That gun probably does not have it)
    New Receiver End Plate (per our P.M.)

Give me a side shot of the FCG pins. That gun has a notched hammer. They suck for reliability. This tells me what to suggest to swap ot out with. If its a large pin the Geissele is the only reliable aftermarket option. If its small pin then a ground Colt M16 Hammer is what I suggest.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Trepang,

Do not worry. That AR will spank any other gun when we arrange a meet time. You have a shrouded firing pin carrier, that is GOOD.

Give me a side shot of the FCG pins. That gun has a notched hammer. They suck for reliability. This tells me what to suggest to swap ot out with. If its a large pin the Geissele is the only reliable aftermarket option. If its small pin then a ground Colt M16 Hammer is what I suggest.

The buffer tube does have an "H" stamped on it on the end - the end that goes into the lower receiver.

I have already ordered a new Colt endplate and castle nut from Brownells.

I have attached several pictures - if you can tell me what I need to order before you work on it, I will get the parts ordered today. Please be as specific as possible so I get the right parts. I do want to keep the gun as original as possible. If you recommend swapping the hammer out for reliability I will do that and just keep the original parts in the safe.

***EDIT*** It looks like everyone is sold out of Colt Gold Extractor Springs - can you provide an alternative? BCM?

Would it be a good idea to go ahead and order any parts for the Rock River AR in case the buffer tube or castle nut get damaged during removal due to their use of Locktite? It is a commercial tube and I just put a brand new Magpul stock on it so if I replace it, I'd like to stay with a commercial tube. If this is a good idea, please let me know what I should order and a manufacturer recommendation.

Thanks again! Looking forward to getting these two Ars squared away!

Attachments

• For Chad 1.jpg
      For Chad 1.jpg
      68.7 KB · Views: 127
    • For Chad 2.jpg
      For Chad 2.jpg
      72.6 KB · Views: 124
    • For Chad 3.jpg
      For Chad 3.jpg
      68.5 KB · Views: 117
    • For Chad 4.jpg
      For Chad 4.jpg
      69.5 KB · Views: 122
    • For Chad 5.jpg
      For Chad 5.jpg
      46.6 KB · Views: 123
    • For Chad 6.jpg
      For Chad 6.jpg
      54.9 KB · Views: 115
    • For Chad 7.jpg
      For Chad 7.jpg
      72.1 KB · Views: 122
    • For Chad 8.jpg
      For Chad 8.jpg
      74.8 KB · Views: 122
    • For Chad 9.jpg
      For Chad 9.jpg
      79.5 KB · Views: 119
    Last edited:

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Im here. My PM explains my absence.

Yes, get a new castle nut for the RRA. New buffer tube is not needed. I have the colt extractor springs.

I cant tell if thats a large pin or small pin FCG. We will need to measure one pin.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Trepang,

Im here. My PM explains my absence.

Yes, get a new castle nut for the RRA. New buffer tube is not needed. I have the colt extractor springs.

I cant tell if thats a large pin or small pin FCG. We will need to measure one pin.

Chad, It measures 4mm on the bolt release side as pictured below. Does that help at all?

Attachments

• Hammer Pin.jpg
      Hammer Pin.jpg
      68.4 KB · Views: 103

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    If it really is 4mm, its .155 pins which are small pin (milspec)

Order a DPMS Hammer. It will be a non permanent improvement to replace that one.

The only other option if you want a colt part is to get an M16 Hammer and ill grind the sear catch off.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    If it really is 4mm, its .155 pins which are small pin (milspec)

Order a DPMS Hammer. It will be a non permanent improvement to replace that one.

The only other option if you want a colt part is to get an M16 Hammer and ill grind the sear catch off.

Drove the pin out to measure it and did a ton of research - I believe it is the .170 pin.

What hammer should I order? Just the hammer or should I also order any other FCG parts while I am at it?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Drove the pin out to measure it and did a ton of research - I believe it is the .170 pin.

What hammer should I order? Just the hammer or should I also order any other FCG parts while I am at it?

There is no milspec style hammmer for the large pin colts that works and isnt notched, unless you replace the entire group. In my experience the geissele are the only large pin ones worth using.

I can look up options tonight when I get back to my hotel. There isnt many geissele options for .170 though.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    There is no milspec style hammmer for the large pin colts that works and isnt notched, unless you replace the entire group. In my experience the geissele are the only large pin ones worth using.

I can look up options tonight when I get back to my hotel. There isnt many geissele options for .170 though.

Don't worry about it now Chad - enjoy your vacation / birthday. This stuff can all wait until we meet up in a couple weeks. :thumbsup:

Hope you had a good birthday, enjoy your time with the family.

Happy New Year! :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom