• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Out side of the fact your father found it, I have a feeling that gun has a history you probably don't want to be a part of...

KMK1862

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2010
    York County, PA
    Right now, this is not a bring-back or war trophy pistol. It may have been, but we don't know and may never know. I would have no issues with someone who owned a peice like this having it refinished and/or restored.

Considering you got it for free, I would have it restored and refinished. It looks pretty rough in your pictures, but they weren't the best gun pictures I've ever seen.

A P.08 Luger with a fine blue and wood grips is a beautiful and functional work of art, IMO.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    That may be BUT it would be a fun project to play with.

This!

I love working on a gun that can't be screwed up any worse... It's a great opportunity to try new things and expand my skill set. That particular gun would be a great for experimenting with metal prep and finishing.

That said, I would leave it as is. There are lots of old, crappy $50 guns you can experiment with that don't also come with a good story.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    This!

I love working on a gun that can't be screwed up any worse... It's a great opportunity to try new things and expand my skill set. That particular gun would be a great for experimenting with metal prep and finishing.

That said, I would leave it as is. There are lots of old, crappy $50 guns you can experiment with that don't also come with a good story.

Nawwww, with my LIMITED expertise Id have to see how much improvement I could make. Id really like to try electrolysis but soaking in ATF would be a good backup method. I've been lucky with cold blue so no need not to do that again.

Jackalope

Ok so a local shop was able to ID it as a 1941 Luger. They said its in real rough shape and that they don't think it would be worth it to have a gun smith re-blue it in its current state. However if I were to clean it up COMPLETELY removing all its old bluing and replace a few little parts they said look like they could stand replacing and that he would see what he could do with it to get it working condition. The barrel however has so much rust built up you can no longer see the rifling. He recommended soaking it for about a week in kerosene to dissolve the rust and then to start cleaning it with with 0000 steel wool and a bronze brush and small files. So I bought it a gun cleaning kit, some oil and everything I need to start TRYING to restore it. Tonight its soaking in oil and tomorrow it goes into the kerosene. Thankfully they look at it the same way I do, even if it costs me $600 to a grand its not like I'm out anything as thats what a decent one would run me if not more to buy so I'm not out anything more then the cost of one in the first place. They agree it won't have any collector value but I'd be finishing what my father started 30 or so years ago.

I'll also take better pics of it tomorrow and post em up before I start really getting into it.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Good man, hopefully it turns into something that you can safely shoot, in memory of your father. If not, at least you finished a project of his for him.

Just make sure the spousal unit fully understands that it will not be sold, period - it's a keeper purely for the sentimental factor.

Since it won't have much of a collector value, you pretty much have free reign on finish options - it's all what you think would be tasteful and what isn't going to kill your pockets.

jtarpley59

live free or die
    Jan 6, 2010
    Churchton
    Good man, hopefully it turns into something that you can safely shoot, in memory of your father. If not, at least you finished a project of his for him.

Just make sure the spousal unit fully understands that it will not be sold, period - it's a keeper purely for the sentimental factor.

Since it won't have much of a collector value, you pretty much have free reign on finish options - it's all what you think would be tasteful and what isn't going to kill your pockets.

:thumbsup:

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Good luck with your Luger. Since it is not a collector gun, It may be easier to just replace the barrel to make it a shooter. At any rate, you still have something with a personal memory of your father.

Jackalope

Ok took lots of pictures. Hope these are better.

26326464001_medium.jpg

26326464002_medium.jpg

26326464003_medium.jpg

26326464004_medium.jpg

26326464005_medium.jpg

26326464008_medium.jpg

26326464009_medium.jpg

26326464010_medium.jpg

26326464011_medium.jpg

26326464012_medium.jpg

26326464013_medium.jpg

26326464014_medium.jpg

KMK1862

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2010
    York County, PA
    Thanks for the better pictures. Man, she's a beat up, tired, old lady.

I know the gun has sentimental value to you, but parting this one out might be the smartest move.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I've seen worse off guns that were brought back to firing condition.

Can't really gauge how deep the pitting is, but if the 'smith you consulted has faith, then I don't see why it couldn't be brought back to firing condition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom