• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sonomer

Jul 22, 2012
    I found some of these old AR magazines in my uncle's collection after he passed away. They're all steel, and made my companies like Circle K, LaBelle, Adventure Line Mfg, some just say "Colt" on the bottom. All are 30RD and have grey plastic followers. Can I run them in a modern AR? Are they worth anything to a collector? I'm not a huge AR fan.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    I hope your uncle's collection was outside the state of Md when you took possession of these mags. I would give them a try and see how they run.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Adventure line was a G.I. contractor. They are aluminum. Don't worry about the "Colt" floorplates. G.I. mags. were disassembled, all the parts put in a large tank with solvent to be cleaned and no attention was paid as to which parts went with which. The plastic followers are probably aftermarket, the G.I. followers were metal back in my day. They will run fine in an AR. There is no collector value. Still, probably worth the trip out of state to take possession of them.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Depending on condition and rarity, some could be worth a little money. Nothing you mentioned stood out but to guys who are into classic ARs some of those might be desirable.

If you have any with aluminum followers, definitely set those aside. The plastic anti-tilt followers are newer.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Thanks for the link. I have many Colt pony 5.56 and .223 and Universal/Simmons.

I picked up some Adventureline and Simmonds at pawn shops in FL this past month. Oddly enough, they can have GREATER collector value than Colt-marked mags.

On the Colt mags, the ones marked .223 are older and more collectible (shootable, I shoot mine). A Colt mag marked "Cal .223" is going to be 1969 manufacture or earlier.

Later Colt mags (after 1969) were marked 5.56 and yes the metal followers are the valuable ones.

Attachments

• IMG_5486.jpg
      IMG_5486.jpg
      67.2 KB · Views: 496

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    No, actually many of these mags can be collectible and highly sought after...and worth upwards to $40 each.

Check the link below for a summary of what value you may have.

http://www.rawles.to/AR-15_M16_Magazine_FAQ.html

That link is from a guy that sells mags. and is not up to date so, consider the source. Mag prices have declined significantly since then! I know of some mags that were selling in the $75 range back when, those mags are only bringing around $13 now. Some people are still trying to sell at the higher prices so, beware! Some mags are collectable, the waffle mags for example but, most are not. The OP's post did not list any of these or anything that even remotely resembled anything collectable. As I said, a Colt marked floorplate does not make the mag a Colt, it only means that the floorplate is Colt. I have seen lots of people get taken just because they mistakenly believe the Colt marked floorplate makes the entire mag a Colt, it does not. Used GI mags with replacement followers are definitely not collectable.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Becoming collector pieces (not huge buck ones but all the same) especially the colt mags. Ive retired almost all mine except those that have too much cosmetic damage. Id put them away and buy PMags for range use.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    That's what gun shows are for. See you in Frederick?

Last show I worked with Biggfoot44, he picked up an old zippered rifle case after our shift at the MSI table. When he got home he found a vintage Colt mag in one of the pockets.

It was worth twice what he paid for the case.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Actually, if the date i.e.:pre ban can be verified they can worth quite a bit to those in pre ban states. Most mags were not dated back in the day so it is hard to tell for many. Original packaging can help determine a date. As mentioned, others can be approximately dated by the followers and/or markings.
    MA for one has a pre ban law. People can only buy pre ban hi caps and must have a high cap license. Get a copy of their license if you sell to someone.
    Look into Northeastshooters.com
    A couple of years ago verified pre ban Glock mags were going for $60-$70. on that site. I haven't been on there in a couple of years.
    Your old Colts can be verified to a point by the followers. The Circle K and Simmons possibly by the last time they were manufactured. If they were not being manufactured after XX date they would be pre ban.

Link added for example:
    https://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/325633-Preban-AR-15-mags-20-30-40-s

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    That's what gun shows are for. See you in Frederick?

Last show I worked with Biggfoot44, he picked up an old zippered rifle case after our shift at the MSI table. When he got home he found a vintage Colt mag in one of the pockets.

It was worth twice what he paid for the case.

He got the case for $5 ?:innocent0

BTW, Factory new Colt mags were selling for under $10 about a week ago! $9.95 to be exact.

In case anyone doesn't know, there were only a couple forming dies made for G.I. mags and they were passed around to the various companies who made them due to "minority" requirements of the government contracts. Once the company made enough to lose "minority" status, the government would pull their contract and the same forming dies would go to the next manufacturer.

jkeys

Jan 30, 2013
    Everyone keeps saying that you mist go out of state to take posession. I was under the impression that you can inherit standard capacity magazines without worrying about this stulid law.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom