• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    Ok, from the top...

Utah offers a non-resident carry permit that is currently valid in 31 states. These states include Virginia, Delaware, Pennsylvania and West Virginia - all states surrounding Maryland. For Maryland residents who cannot obtain a Md. permit, it gives you a chance to be able to protect yourself while you travel, shop, visit family, etc.

Utah requires a training class by a Utah certified instructor. For many people, that class is the only firearms training they have ever taken, and for some, will ever take. Its a nice course outline that provides good gun safety information, enhanced by the instructor's knowledge and experience.

The cost to obtain the permit is relatively inexpensive, and the permit is valid for 5 years after which it can be renewed for $15.

Any other questions?

Marylandfisherman

Self Aware
    Nov 10, 2011
    Ok, from the top...

Utah offers a non-resident carry permit that is currently valid in 31 states. These states include Virginia, Delaware, Pennsylvania and West Virginia - all states surrounding Maryland. For Maryland residents who cannot obtain a Md. permit, it gives you a chance to be able to protect yourself while you travel, shop, visit familt, etc.

Utah requires a training class by a Utah certified instructor. For many people, that class is the only firearms training they have ever taken, and for some, will ever take. Its a nice course outline that provides good gun safety information, enhanced by the instructor's knowledge and experience.

The cost to obtain the permit is relatively inexpensive, and the permit is valid for 5 years after which it can be renewed for $15.

Any other questions?

That answers it all. :party29: thanks a bunch:party29::party29:

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    It's a very good permit to have if you travel. Won't do you any good in Maryland though.

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    I don't think I've ever seen a question answered so authoritatively.

The downside? You've got to pull over, unload, and secure your gun before you reenter Maryland. It's kind of like having a dog. A Utah CCW brings you so much joy, but you know that it's going to end abruptly and break your heart.

Elliotte

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2011
    Loudoun County VA
    One more thing, within the past year Utah changed their laws somewhat. In the past, anyone who met the requirements could get a Utah non-resident permit. Now if you live in a state that has reciprocity with Utah (i.e. VA, PA, DE, WV) you must have been issued a resident permit in your home state before Utah will issue you a Utah non-resident permit. Since MD and UT don't have reciprocity this law change doesn't affect us here in MD, but any residents of VA, WV, PA, or DE are affected by the new law.

Last edited:

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    Now if you live in a state that has reciprocity (or recognizes) with Utah (i.e. VA, PA, DE, WV) you must have been issued a resident permit in Utah before Utah will issue you a Utah non-resident permit.

That should read "you must have been issued a resident permit in your home state"

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Ok, from the top...

Utah offers a non-resident carry permit that is currently valid in 31 states. These states include Virginia, Delaware, Pennsylvania and West Virginia - all states surrounding Maryland. For Maryland residents who cannot obtain a Md. permit, it gives you a chance to be able to protect yourself while you travel, shop, visit family, etc.

Any other questions?

Well said Jim.:)

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    I don't think I've ever seen a question answered so authoritatively.

The downside? You've got to pull over, unload, and secure your gun before you reenter Maryland. It's kind of like having a dog. A Utah CCW brings you so much joy, but you know that it's going to end abruptly and break your heart.

"Maryland Mode" blows chunks. When we travel, I quietly pretend I actually live in Utah!!

:D

It's a good tool to have in the box, IMO...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom