• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Did everyone get their September 2015 edition of American Rifleman?

Theres an awesome feature article on page page 73 about the BAR and its counterpart the Ohio Ordnance HCAR. Sean and I were lucky enough to interview the lead designer Robert Landies at the 2015 NRA show. Robert is mentioned a few times in the article.

[YT]9CGoeVSra04[/YT]

Oh and a little behind the scenes fact. Half way through the video when Robert took the HCAR out of my hand i said "thank god" in my head. That gun is so damn heavy my arms were buring from holding it up :lol2:

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    JMB is rolling over in grave thinking:

Of all the guns to tacti-cool, they had to pick one of mine.

That was my original thought too, but once i saw it and put my hands on it i realized how well they put it toghether and how much thought went into it.

That said, if i had the extra cash laying around i'm not sure if i'd buy it over their 1918. The original is just so awesome.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    JMB is rolling over in grave thinking:

Of all the guns to tacti-cool, they had to pick one of mine.

The BAR has been hacked in since its inception.

Clyde barrow always cut down the BARs he stole from national guard armories.
    clydebarrow.jpg

WWII: soldiers and marines stripped off extra parts to eliminate weight.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    The BAR has been hacked in since its inception.

Clyde barrow always cut down the BARs he stole from national guard armories.
    clydebarrow.jpg

WWII: soldiers and marines stripped off extra parts to eliminate weight.

I think they called them whipit guns. I remember seeing one with a short leather sling so the gun would ride in between your arm and ribs. Then you could "whipit" out and start blasting away.

RB5082

Mar 6, 2015
    @Engineerbrian - I wasn't aware it had two different speed modes. I shot it on the slow mode and found it very nice. Not sure I'd want to carry it too far and it gave me a much deeper appreciation for the men who did!

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    Did everyone get their September 2015 edition of American Rifleman?

Theres an awesome feature article on page page 73 about the BAR and its counterpart the Ohio Ordnance HCAR. Sean and I were lucky enough to interview the lead designer Robert Landies at the 2015 NRA show. Robert is mentioned a few times in the article.

I got mine, but it wasn't on page 73, it said F-06

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    We have a few BARs are the AGC. Mostly FA guns. The gun in semi auto is just heavy. However in FA, the gun comes alive as the weight keeps the gun on target! You almost have to shoot it to keep it on target! Here is a friend showing the slow and fast fire.

As far as this modern version of the BAR... it does not do much for me. Ohio Ordnance always makes a great product but its not one I would want. First for an "Modernized" gun, its still in 30-06. The M14 moved to 308 and so should this gun if you wanted to modernize it. It just does not have the looks and does come off as tacticool. I am sure its a cool gun to shoot but its still not modern and its lost its historical appeal.

You know a while back I tried real hard to get them to make me a 1918 (not a2) receiver but they refused and I scrapped the project. I bet they would today. It always tempts me to build an original 1918 in semi but it will not be cheap and I think I would rather just have something else for the money. However if I ever come across some cheap parts, I would build myself one! I like it better with no bipod! A real mans gun!

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    We have a few BARs are the AGC. Mostly FA guns. The gun in semi auto is just heavy. However in FA, the gun comes alive as the weight keeps the gun on target! You almost have to shoot it to keep it on target! Here is a friend showing the slow and fast fire.

As far as this modern version of the BAR... it does not do much for me. Ohio Ordnance always makes a great product but its not one I would want. First for an "Modernized" gun, its still in 30-06. The M14 moved to 308 and so should this gun if you wanted to modernize it. It just does not have the looks and does come off as tacticool. I am sure its a cool gun to shoot but its still not modern and its lost its historical appeal.

You know a while back I tried real hard to get them to make me a 1918 (not a2) receiver but they refused and I scrapped the project. I bet they would today. It always tempts me to build an original 1918 in semi but it will not be cheap and I think I would rather just have something else for the money. However if I ever come across some cheap parts, I would build myself one! I like it better with no bipod! A real mans gun!

Cool video! I shot mine standing up, that recoil will rock you. Let me know if you want me to come and try it in prone. I'll bring my own ammo :brows:

Thats a good point about the HCAR in .308. I wonder if it was a cost factor for OOW since they are already set up for 30-06

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    If I had the cash,I would so get a HCAR. Its bad*ss,well thought out modern improvement on a great original design. As I've said before, JMB would approved this, as any designer would. I remember as a 10-12 yr old in SC, one of the neighborhood dads had a busted up bar receiver that I used to lug around as my "toy" gun! Seriously! The stock was gone and I think the muzzle was removed in some way...been along time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom