• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD
    I'll start. I have been considering running for one of the new Frederick County Council seats as a Libertarian (and attempting to win). Alternatively, I hate Ron Young and would get a kick out of running DINO against him in the primary, but have zero interest in the position.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Libertarians don't seem to do as well as needed here in Frederick County. If you are serious about running for county council, I suggest considering running as a D if you are from Frederick City, and a R if you live out in the county.

pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD
    Because I want to be able to vote in Maryland as a DINO. Local politics having a D or R after your name is pointless IMO.

The other thing I have been thinking about if not BOCC is BOE for Fred Co. That position is probably one of the most important positions that impacts are lives.

I think if you look at the last election, there were more D votes in an around the city, and more R votes out in the county. I think the part affiliation does make a difference to that extent.

Although the BOE is extremely important, the position really isn't that powerful. Year after year the system seems to but the BOE members on the spot, and people get upset at the BOE because of decisions made by the administration. Just look back to the diving board debacle of a few years ago as an example. And seeing as how they see not getting every additional thing they ask for as a "cut", budget time can't be very fun.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Kevin Kelly is the flank that broke on the assault weapons ban. He wanted to do something to appease the Democrats but also to appease his district and play both sides and when the Democrats realize that he was trying to do this they Exploited it to break the resistance of other Democrats

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Am I able to maintain my full time job for anything that is out there for Frederick County? If so I would love to run. I am a veteran and would love to sit in those meetings and give my opinions.

BOCC's are considered part time employees of FCG. Most of the stuff they do is in the evenings/weekends/nights. You would be able to have your full time job in addition to being a BOCC. You would have to let your employer know what you are running and what your schedule would have to be so you can manage both commitments. Most, if not all of the members of the BOCC have full time jobs outside of being on the BOCC. They might have to be in Winchester Hall for one day a week, but other than that they can use RDP to access everything that they need to do from any location in the world, which is what a lot of them do.

If you would like to discuss more, send me a PM, and we will chat more. BTW snally, this offer is open to you too.

Probably not, commissioners and senators and delegates are have daytime commitments several times a week.

The BOCC does not operate like people in the statehouse. See my reply above.

trailman

Nov 15, 2011
    Frederick
    The BOCC does not operate like people in the statehouse. See my reply above.

I'm pretty familiar with their schedules and coming and goings. I'm not trying to discourage anyone but you are going to spend at least one maybe two full days a week if you want to be a BOCC. If you got a very understanding employer that's fine. All five of the current members are essentially self employed. Also the BOCC is a moot point. Mr Young is going to be the County Executive and with a good reading of the new charter the county board? or whatever isn't going to have any real power. The Executive has broad powers to do as he or she sees fit. Which isn't surprising considering who picked the slate to write it.

If we need anything in Frederick its a plan to derail Sen Young and the rest of the minions up here that are making our lives miserable in Annapolis.

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave
    Kevin Kelly is the flank that broke on the assault weapons ban. He wanted to do something to appease the Democrats but also to appease his district and play both sides and when the Democrats realize that he was trying to do this they Exploited it to break the resistance of other Democrats

This.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

This.

Kelly may have thought he was helping, but did a lot more harm in the long run. :sad20:

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

This...

As much as he seemed to want to support us, once he was laid open by the powers that be, he was pretty much useless to us.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    This...

As much as he seemed to want to support us, once he was laid open by the powers that be, he was pretty much useless to us.

He wanted to be able to say to the state Dems "I did something to stop gun violence" but also say to his electorate "I didn't let them take your guns."

In the end, he gave them the blue print to the banned list.

trailman

Nov 15, 2011
    Frederick
    He wanted to be able to say to the state Dems "I did something to stop gun violence" but also say to his electorate "I didn't let them take your guns."

In the end, he gave them the blue print to the banned list.

People that play both sides of the road often get hit by traffic

dejacks

Apr 23, 2013
    All politicians will tell you what you want to hear. How do we plow through the BS and get their true feelings on the issues that are important to us?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom