• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    I haven't seen an official thread on this, but there has been a lot of chatter obviously. If you already know that you are going to run, or are considering running (and need a nudge from the MDS community) - either as Dino, Libertarian or GOP- post up here. Please list district/office/affiliation, etc.

Thanks.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    I'll start. I have been considering running for one of the new Frederick County Council seats as a Libertarian (and attempting to win). Alternatively, I hate Ron Young and would get a kick out of running DINO against him in the primary, but have zero interest in the position.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    I have been considering running for frederick cnty commissioner as well as a DINO. I will not know until next year as some things are up in the air.

trailman

Nov 15, 2011
    Frederick
    If it was not for my job I'd run against Young, I am in his District. Either way I'm a registered Dino as of January and would love to organize against him. Patrick Hogan is not going to run again either in our area, I hope we can find a good candidate to replace him on the R side.

I wonder how an announced Libertarian would do in our area? I wonder if they could peel of enough zombie from both sides to be viable?

ofofhy

Jan 27, 2013
    Balto City
    For some reason, I can't remember... Does MD have the "straight party ticket" lever on the voting machines. Meaning you can push one button (or pull a lever) that votes everything Democrat?

I know RI still has it, they (the democratically controlled gov't there) defeated a measure to remove it.

USAFRavenR6

Apr 7, 2012
    Mur-land
    Am I able to maintain my full time job for anything that is out there for Frederick County? If so I would love to run. I am a veteran and would love to sit in those meetings and give my opinions.

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave
    I'll elaborate... a little.

A few of us had a conversation with Kelly during the previous session (including Dblas and FlyingBlind). Del. Anderson was basically begging Kelly to talk with some of the dems about proposed amendments. Anderson flat out told him, "You have votes there, but you have to talk to them. Hell, you haven't even asked me how I would vote."

Kelly said it wasn't worth his time. He talks the talk, but he isn't going to bat for anyone behind the scenes. I have more detailed info, but I'm not at liberty to discuss it. Kelly was instrumental in reversing the progress we were making in the House Judiciary.

Talk to Patrick.

trailman

Nov 15, 2011
    Frederick
    For some reason, I can't remember... Does MD have the "straight party ticket" lever on the voting machines. Meaning you can push one button (or pull a lever) that votes everything Democrat?

I know RI still has it, they (the democratically controlled gov't there) defeated a measure to remove it.

I don't recall that on the machines I've used.

trailman

Nov 15, 2011
    Frederick
    Am I able to maintain my full time job for anything that is out there for Frederick County? If so I would love to run. I am a veteran and would love to sit in those meetings and give my opinions.

Probably not, commissioners and senators and delegates are have daytime commitments several times a week.

trailman

Nov 15, 2011
    Frederick
    I'd like to know if any of the State Orgs are going to make any effort to oust candidates like we were talking about this past spring, if so I'd throw my time and talent into it. I've advocated in Annapolis before, worked political issues on the sportsmen's side.

daijizai

May 11, 2013
    Columbia
    Until recently I was not fed up enough with the current state of politics in America to run as I do not want the job. Recently I find I am pissed off enough that I would run, but my current company would require my resignation as its employees are not permitted to hold public office to prevent appearance of impropriety...

Since I am sadly not independently wealthy and the offices in Annapolis are part-time, I will have to hold off for now - especially considering that I live in HoCo and do not have the public face, clout, or backing required to challenge one of the federal seats were I could make the largest waves.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    I'm curious, why DINO for county council?

Because I want to be able to vote in Maryland as a DINO. Local politics having a D or R after your name is pointless IMO. With local politics it is less party based and more on real issues. It's like running for the Comptroller's office , I do not care what your view on the Iraq war was, I do not care what your view on welfare is. That office's job and influence is on how the funds of Maryland are processed and the biz side of things.

In Frederick County I see a couple main issues: 1) Keeping the county running with a positive budget without tax increases. 2) Ceasing the Development of new lands

You have to remember 2A is something that is important to us. It is not a "big" local issue on the County level and you need to remind yourself that when thinking about running. A county can not super cede the State, they can only make symbolic statements and use their influence to make a county 2A friendly, nothing more. There are more "agitated" topics that people are concerned with.

The other thing I have been thinking about if not BOCC is BOE for Fred Co. That position is probably one of the most important positions that impacts are lives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom