• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • codefive

Jun 9, 2012
    Is this still in front of the two combined committees and therefore we still need 70 copies? And is the time limit still one minute or up to three as normal?

Same question ... I hate wasting paper if I dont have to and I hate writing a 3 minute testimony and having to deliver it one minute more. lol.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Curiosity question - are off-duty LEO required to disarm when visiting the House/Senate? Trying to bring a friend, and this will be an issue for him.

gmkoh

Feb 26, 2013
    Annapolis
    Jim 12- from the Missouri study:
    What about the Missouri study on handgun permits to purchase?
    .Webster, D. W., Vernick, J. S., & Bulzacchelli, M. T.
    (2009). Effects of state-level firearm seller
    accountability policies on firearm trafficking.
    Journal of Urban Health, 86(4), 525–537.
    .But BATFE and the Congressional Research
    Service have said traces don’t show how often
    specific types of guns are used in crimes, traced
    guns aren’t representative of guns used in
    crimes, most guns used in violent crimes aren’t
    traced, and most traced guns haven’t been used
    in violent crimes.

.In fact, Webster and colleagues admit
    these limitations!

“First, the cross-sectional study design precludes an assessment of whether
    changes in gun control laws prompt subsequent changes in crime gun
    exports. Longitudinal crime gun trace data could not be obtained, as
    many of the state laws of interest were in place before crime gun tracing
    become common practice…. Second, our outcome data does not include
    all crime gun exports. Not all crime guns are submitted to the ATF for
    tracing. In 2009, gun traces could not be completed for nearly 40% of
    crime guns due to insufficient or incorrect data. Third, although reducing
    the diversion of guns to criminals is a key objective of some gun control
    laws, there is currently insufficient research to discern the degree to which
    reductions in diverted guns affects gun violence, and it appears as though
    some have had no impact.”

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    I am now officially a certified Maryland Voter Registration Volunteer. Was so nice of the Board of Elections to give me a special training session today so I can start in my official duties tomorrow at the rally. Lol, I called and asked them for forms this morning and they wanted to know how many, I figured a hundred would do and they said you need to be certified and when I told them why I wanted them, they set up the session :)

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    I wonder whether anyone -- expert or not -- has drilled down into and challenged the Johns Hopkins/Bloomberg sponsored study that Frosh seems to cite in response to questioning or challenges to his position. Besides the validity of the study itself, is Frosh's reliance on it for so many of his arguments justified?

If it was a study about oil well fracking and it was paid for by the oil industry, Frosh would be the first to discredit it. Same situation here, with JH/Bloomberg sponsoring this one.

Excellent point. It should be brought out that a study can't be trusted when funded by someone that has a predefined view on gun control. This should it brought out in public testimony. Absolutely!

Saginaw

Jan 13, 2013
    Fort Meade, Odenton
    I am now officially a certified Maryland Voter Registration Volunteer. Was so nice of the Board of Elections to give me a special training session today so I can start in my official duties tomorrow at the rally. Lol, I called and asked them for forms this morning and they wanted to know how many, I figured a hundred would do and they said you need to be certified and when I told them why I wanted them, they set up the session :)
    Great Idea!!

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Every little thing helps. Those lefties really have this rally thing downpat. We need to start duplicating their tactics. :). I have noticed they always register voters at rallies.

Does anyone know if we have 1 minute or 3 minutes for each bill?

jspero

Aug 6, 2009
    One Foot Out The Door

Great job and very important. Thanks for your dedication!

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Great job and very important. Thanks for your dedication!

Forgot to mention the BIG poster boards and extra thick sharpies :D

I even got spares to bring. Have a flow chart in mind with a lather, rinse, repeat theme to have everyone that has a gun ending up a criminal.

State of Maryland
    Criminalizing the Bill of Rights
    One Law at a Time

GoGoGadget

Deplorable Member
    Mar 10, 2011
    A.A.Co. and Carteret Co. NC
    Hey,

Any DINOs out there that want a sign? I made 3 of these devilish babies

:evilgrin3:evilgrin3:evilgrin3

Attachments

• amother fed3.jpg
      amother fed3.jpg
      72.5 KB · Views: 406

saln

Dec 28, 2008
    So, when are we going to see even, 10% of their "85%" show up to testify?

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    This is probably posted somewhere else, but I can't seem to find it. Got a few questions about tomorrow:

1.) What time should I get there? I screwed up on the 6th, left too late, got all jammed up and thanks to the stadium lot being closed when I was trying to get there, I got frustrated and went home. I don't want to do that tomorrow.

2.) If I get there early is there anywhere to go to get out of the cold, or do we stand around for hours in line to be able to get in to testify?

3.) How important is it to dress in business casual? I ask because if I'm going to be waiting around outside for a long time, I want to at least dress warmly, and frankly, dress clothes aren't really as warm as street clothes.

4.) I keep hearing that "the lots fill up fast" in regard to the lots downtown. How fast? Like, if I'm going to park downtown, how early do I need to be there? Would it just be better to park at the stadium and take the shuttle?

Again, sorry if all of this has been covered - I found some stuff in a couple of other threads, but the information seemed a bit generalized.

So, when are we going to see even, 10% of their "85%" show up to testify?
    This is something I'm trying to work into a 1-minute testimony.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    You would need to be downtown before 8am if you want any hope of getting a spot there.
    I can do that - is there anyone else going down that early, and how long would I have to hang out in the cold?

I've been working on my script for my testimony. I had big plans to address 3 key points, but I've found that 60 seconds goes by just a little too fast, so I went with just one point - the fact that there is such overwhelming opposition to any gun control legislation. I've got this down to about 70 seconds:

My name is trickg, I’m from Glen Burnie, and I’m a registered voter.

For my testimony I’d like to address the erroneous idea that Marylanders want the proposed gun control legislation. This is patently false. The proof is in the people you see before you, and the letters that have been sent to you, our elected representatives. To date, over a million pieces of correspondence have been sent in opposition to the firearms related bills that would further restrict the good, law-abiding people of this state, and yet do nothing to address the real problems with mental health and the criminal element. Look around at the thousands and thousands of people who have come out to testify and oppose these bills. These are the people who put you in office and whom you’ve pledged to represent. We ARE the majority. Listen to us and represent us, and let these restrictive gun bills die rather than to push them forward as part of a political agenda.

I oppose any and all legislation that would further infringe upon the rights of the people of Maryland to keep and bear arms. Please take to heart the simple words of the 2nd Amendment of the Bill of Rights – A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. Thank you.

Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    I don't think I'll be able to come tomorrow.. :(
    I went on feb. 6th and the 1st, so I'm passing the baton to somebody else! Represent me!

I may be able to go Wednesday, especially since I'm afraid that day will have the lowest turnout...

Bravo

Bravo
    Feb 18, 2013
    Howard County
    Frosh uses a time honored liberal tactic of using a study throwing it out there, obfuscating and then using comments like " clearly the study proves" , or outright misrepresenting statistics like " murder rates in Massachusetts went down when fingerprinting was introduced", I cringe when people get drawn into his little lawyerly spiel and then waste their time and points bt letting him set the agenda and going back and forth. Don't play this stupid game.

Don't play this stupid game. Hit back with a quick comment like a "Bloomberg sponsored gun study has as much credibility as a tobacco company sponsored smoking study." Why doesn't Mr Frosh address the fact that Maryland gives probation for carjacking? Armed robbery? Assault in the first degree? He hides behind these phony studies because he doesn't have the guts to confront criminality. Etc.... Etc..., turn it around on them.

When they say the only reason murders are up after X passed gun control is because state Y is where they get the guns.... Tell them to own it because they passed this law without even understanding what the outcome would be. Make them own it.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    This is the only information I've seen about this week, so we'll start here:

http://www.associatedgunclubs.org/legislative/temporary/GUN_BILL_DAYS-HEARING_INFO.pdf

No offense to AGC but for printing just a list of bills and whether they're good or bad, that flat out sucks. It doesn't cut and paste either. One page out of 37 is all I need and that one page is set in type so small it's useless as a reference.

Excel spreadsheet or a simple Word table that can be cut and pasted would have been 1000% more useful.

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    No offense to AGC but for printing just a list of bills and whether they're good or bad, that flat out sucks. It doesn't cut and paste either. One page out of 37 is all I need and that one page is set in type so small it's useless as a reference.

Excel spreadsheet or a simple Word table that can be cut and pasted would have been 1000% more useful.

I just went through that too. Creating a word doc with a support and oppose section, then pasting in the bill number and description and my comments. Took hours.

Maybe next go round, the first person to do that can provide a template that people can edit and just put in their comments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom