• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Ain't no way the faster pistol shooters were shooting 200+gr ammo out of the revolvers, even with powder puff loads. I can shoot that fast with my 32-20s with 115gr bullets and Trail Boss powder, but no where near as fast with my .45 Colt and 255gr bullets and Trail Boss powder.

Viper21773

Jan 17, 2009
    Hagerstown
    Yea it's a safe bet nobody is shooting anything approaching 200 gr. I was referring to your observation of the speed of the leverguns and size of the ejected brass. Very few folks I know shoot anything heavier than 180gr(typically 160gr) outta their 45's, and thats usually with BP.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I got an email today from the Pepper Mill Creek Gang about the match this coming Sunday. Stage 3 is interesting. Standard load out except 7 in the rifle. Shooter apparently has to reload on the clock. I knew I got an 1860 for a reason!

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I shot my second SASS match today with the Pepper Mill Creek Gang in King George, VA. It was cold and the targets were a lot smaller than the ones the Virginia City Marshalls use. I would have shot a clean match but I managed to eject a live round on the one stage where I didn't keep a couple extra on me. It was fun, the crowd was full of interesting people, and I think I'll be going back next month since it's only an hour away.

BTW, there were four Maryland plates in the lot. Anyone from here at this shoot?

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Did you also try any events with a shotgun? You mentioned an 1887 upthread. What are the popular shotties used at these events? Break action coach guns, pumps, or levers?

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Did you also try any events with a shotgun? You mentioned an 1887 upthread. What are the popular shotties used at these events? Break action coach guns, pumps, or levers?

My estimate: 55% 1897 pump, 22% hammered double, 22% non-hammered double, 1% lever.

On the typical 4 shot shotgun stage, it's close on the pump vs. SxS. More than 4 shots and you can really see the speed advantage of the pump. The videos of the top competitors I've seen all show pumps.

Of course, you get fast at whatever you practice.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    My estimate: 55% 1897 pump, 22% hammered double, 22% non-hammered double, 1% lever.

On the typical 4 shot shotgun stage, it's close on the pump vs. SxS. More than 4 shots and you can really see the speed advantage of the pump. The videos of the top competitors I've seen all show pumps.

Of course, you get fast at whatever you practice.

Just at the two matches I've been to, 40 shooters total, I've only seen about 3 1897s, the rest were doubles and my 87 lever. The top competitors run the pump shotguns, but they have a stable of them, as they tend to break parts with some frequency under hard use.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    Although I don't shoot gunfighter, my guess is that the lowered hammer spur of the Bisley would make it easier for the thumb to cock it.

JoeR

Viper21773

Jan 17, 2009
    Hagerstown
    I shoot GF but have never tried Bisley's. I shoot Vaqueros with SBH hammers. It's gonna be what feels right to you. I had Eagle Gunfighter grips on my guns and took them off because the stock grips filled my hand better.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Dang, one guy at the match tonight was shooting in the 20s shooting duelist with two Schofelds. And my 1860 once again threw a live round out. I'm probably doing something wrong. I'm picking up some 44-40 snap caps next week. I think I'm shooting my Rossi 92 this weekend.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Dang, one guy at the match tonight was shooting in the 20s shooting duelist with two Schofelds. And my 1860 once again threw a live round out. I'm probably doing something wrong. I'm picking up some 44-40 snap caps next week. I think I'm shooting my Rossi 92 this weekend.

You're shooting too fast! :)

(Or there's a slight hesitation in the levering. Crank it hard.)

And, yeah, Schofields are nice.

Viper21773

Jan 17, 2009
    Hagerstown
    Dang, one guy at the match tonight was shooting in the 20s shooting duelist with two Schofelds.

Sounds like you may have met Dutch Coroner. Dutch is the N.E Region Classic Cowboy category champ.

And my 1860 once again threw a live round out. I'm probably doing something wrong. I'm picking up some 44-40 snap caps next week. I think I'm shooting my Rossi 92 this weekend.

You may be "short-cycling" the lever. Are you levering and pulling the trigger to find that the hammer has followed the bolt down?

I need to find a better front grip so my hand isn't moving twice during a run.

1860's are beautiful rifles, good style points, but definitely a handicap with the mag follower and for reloads.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Sounds like you may have met Dutch Coroner. Dutch is the N.E Region Classic Cowboy category champ.

I believe you are correct.

You may be "short-cycling" the lever. Are you levering and pulling the trigger to find that the hammer has followed the bolt down?

That's probably the case. The stock is a touch long for my short arms. Might have to get a short stroke kit for her.

1860's are beautiful rifles, good style points, but definitely a handicap with the mag follower and for reloads.

If I need to reload three or more on the clock, I can add rounds faster than most people can load their newer model lever guns. Especially when their flipping ammo out because they're in a hurry. And she goes well with my 87 shotgun. Which I'll get back some day when the smith is done shortening the stock. Now I need two 44-40s and I'll be a Classic Cowboy :thumbsup:

Viper21773

Jan 17, 2009
    Hagerstown
    My preferences vary a little from the norm as well. I shoot 44's - do reloads on my '73 through the top, and prefer a hammer sxs.

Shooting Thurmont Sunday?

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    My preferences vary a little from the norm as well. I shoot 44's - do reloads on my '73 through the top, and prefer a hammer sxs.

Shooting Thurmont Sunday?

Nope, going to Cavalier http://www.cavaliercowboys.org/ I'm trading some BP (if I can find the bottles) for some Trail Boss and shooting the match. Looks like I'm shooting that one with my SxS I got for free a few years ago. I might have to hit Thurmont next month, it's the same distance for me either way.

ETA Last Sunday of the month for me is in King George, VA, with the Pepper Mill Creek Gang. First Sunday is Cavalier, third Saturday is KC's Corral near Richmond, and IPSC or Pin shooting for the free weekend.

Viper21773

Jan 17, 2009
    Hagerstown
    Since both Damascus and Thurmont cancelled their March matches I'm looking forward to Sunday. I would like to shoot the NRA match sometime, but a family situation makes it impossible right now. Humphrey Hook was my first TO at Thurmont in '07, always enjoy seeing him.

Shoot straight and Good luck @ Cavalier

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Well, the 1860 performed flawlessly. Unfortunately, one of my 32-20 reloads was a dud. So stage three and my clean match was finished. And to top it off, I actually missed with my rifle on the fifth stage. I did manage to shoot 40s through the whole match, even with the misses. Getting better, still haven't shot a clean match since my first one.

Viper21773

Jan 17, 2009
    Hagerstown
    Guns and ammo were flawless, I can't blame anything but the guy holding them! Thurmont shot 5 stages today. I singled on three stages, and doubled on one - only one clean stage today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom