• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Atlantic Guns at the Rockville location is big into cowboy shooting. Lots of hand guns and lever action. The Damascus Isaac Walton has learning seminars quite frequently because they are an active SASS participant.

March 9th is the next one.

It is a great class for those new to Cowboy Action Shooting.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia

I have a Chinese made 87, she's in the shop right now getting her stock shortened. My arms aren't long enough to keep her mounted and really work the action at the same time. It seems pretty common for the 87s. There's a guy who works on them, slicking the action up and modding it to take two shells at a time, which was done to my 87 already. Not bad for a $350 shotgun.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    One more question for the folks shooting CAS outdoors. The match I'm hitting up on Tuesday gives your rifle brass back. Are the outdoor matches "lost brass" or do some of them let you get your brass back? I'd hate to lose 50 44-40 empties since I'm a reloader.

Viper21773

Jan 17, 2009
    Hagerstown
    One more question for the folks shooting CAS outdoors. The match I'm hitting up on Tuesday gives your rifle brass back. Are the outdoor matches "lost brass" or do some of them let you get your brass back? I'd hate to lose 50 44-40 empties since I'm a reloader.

Generally only State level and above matches exercised a "lost Brass" policy in order to keep match moving. The Maryland State Championship, "Thunder Valley Days" at Damascus IWLA allows brass pick-up until the targets have been reset and the next shooter is ready to come to the line.
    This year the Northeast Regional, "Mason-Dixon Stampede" at Thurmont Conservation & Sportsmans Club will have the same policy.
    With ammo and components as hard to come by as they are, everyone wants to get their brass back.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    That's a genuine Japanese made Winchester. Which explains the price. At the last Chantilly show one of the vendors had several Rossi 92s in .357 for $453. I'm going to the Fredericksburg show to see if he shows up, I'll pick one of them up then. If they aren't there, I'll go looking for a 44-40 revolver, preferably an old Vaquero.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    That's a genuine Japanese made Winchester. Which explains the price. At the last Chantilly show one of the vendors had several Rossi 92s in .357 for $453. I'm going to the Fredericksburg show to see if he shows up, I'll pick one of them up then. If they aren't there, I'll go looking for a 44-40 revolver, preferably an old Vaquero.

I'm sure you'll be able to get a Rossi at that price, as the online vendors (Kentucky Gun, Buds, etc) that often have them in stock charge between $400-500, depending on whether the model is stainless (around $500) or not (less). Is there an American made 1892 these days? As you said, Winchester is using the same Japanese manufacturer that Browning does (hence the price - they function well and are beauties), Rossi is from Brazil, and Uberti from Italy. Taylor also buys from Italy and gussies them up.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I'm sure you'll be able to get a Rossi at that price, as the online vendors (Kentucky Gun, Buds, etc) that often have them in stock charge between $400-500, depending on whether the model is stainless (around $500) or not (less). Is there an American made 1892 these days? As you said, Winchester is using the same Japanese manufacturer that Browning does (hence the price - they function well and are beauties), Rossi is from Brazil, and Uberti from Italy. Taylor also buys from Italy and gussies them up.

No more American made 92s :sad20: If I'm going to spend that kind of money I'll get an Uberti 73. I just want a .357 since I can pick up dozens of .38 Special brass at any range, but finding 44-40 is impossible, .45 Colt next to impossible. If I hit a big match where we can't get the brass back, I'm leaving the 44-40 at home and bringing the .357.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    The pricing on their next set of releases is also going upward ...

1892 Short Rifle, MSRP: $1070; so probably selling for at least $100 less
    http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?family=022C&mid=534162

94 Trails End Takedown, MSRP: $1460
    http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?family=003C&mid=534191

73 Sporter Case Hardened (250 rifle production), MSRP: $1740
    http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?mid=534217&family=027C

If they are doing small batch production, it would explain some of the Lexus like prices for a high end Toyota product.

I like the Miroku made Brownings, such that if Browning had put out their Model 92, it would have been from the same factory and thus close to identical to the new Winchester 1892s, priced the same ($850-950 these last two years), and eventually in my gun safe. Irrespective of the firearms manufacturer, I find the profile of the 1892 (and near contemporary JMB lever designs) to be very appealing such that I found it hard not to order a couple of these cheesy pint glasses earlier this week :innocent0 ...

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/12fc/?pfm=stPatricksDay_Drinkware_17_12fc

If you're banking 357 brass, I'll save you some. I have 5 platforms (3 rifle) that shoot the round, and I don't reload this point (and if I do, might start with 45 Colt - excuse to get a new rifle too).

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I did end up getting the Rossi 92 last weekend and hit the range last night. It came with the scope mount installed instead of the proper rear sight, so I had to do the swap on Sunday. I managed to get it right the first time. 80 rounds of .38 Special and she's good to go now.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Watch the speed of these folks. I figure they're getting off 10 shots while I'd be lining up my first.

Yes, thi is as fun as it looks!

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I like the short stroke lever guns they're running. Judging from the size of the ejected brass, I don't think they're shooting Classic Cowboy. I really hope I can get Sunday off so I can join up with the Pepper Mill Gang in King George County and break in my Rossi 92.

Viper21773

Jan 17, 2009
    Hagerstown
    "Judging from the size of the ejected brass, I don't think they're shooting Classic Cowboy."

I would say that they're not shooting Classic Cowboy because of their attire.
    66's & '73's from the top tuners can run like that whether it's a .38 or .40+ caliber.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom