• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    PSA. If you include shooting with either hand from the start of your handgun endeavors , it is no more awkward with weak hand than stong hand , if you learn both simultaneously .

Luckily , I had already virtually memorized Sixguns by Keith before I started serious handgun shooting . ( Keith emphasized learning both hands from the start . With an eye for eventually learning the esoteric skill of accurately shooting a gun in each hand simultaneously .)
    I am about 40 years too late lol

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    I'm not ambidextrous. So I have to practice shooting with both left and right hands? How's about right-hand US infantry soldiers? Do they have to practice shooting with left hand? I know there is a need, but I don't recall such training.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    I'm not ambidextrous. So I have to practice shooting with both left and right hands? How's about right-hand US infantry soldiers? Do they have to practice shooting with left hand? I know there is a need, but I don't recall such training.
    I can't speak to basic infantry training.

But I can tell you that I have seen in several interviews with Kyle Lamb that he said the biggest takeaway he had from The Battle of Mogadishu was to basically become ambidextrous with his carbine. In MOUT environments, minimizing exposure to the enemy while maximizing downrange accuracy was deemed to be very important.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Ridiculous.
    I'm not sure what aspect of Bigfoots comment you find ridiculous.

One of my many benefits I find of appendix carry is easy access (relatively) for a support hand draw. It comes out upside down, so having a means to get it oriented correctly is necessary (I still use the method Mike Pannone taught me, but others like Kelly McCann have other, also effective ways of doing so). But it'll work well enough if the strong hand/arm is out of commission.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I'm not sure what aspect of Bigfoots comment you find ridiculous.

One of my many benefits I find of appendix carry is easy access (relatively) for a support hand draw. It comes out upside down, so having a means to get it oriented correctly is necessary (I still use the method Mike Pannone taught me, but others like Kelly McCann have other, also effective ways of doing so). But it'll work well enough if the strong hand/arm is out of commission.
    There is not 1 carry position that is optimal and practical for everyday carry use utilizing both hands equally.
    I'm not talking about in an emergency. This is what you are talking about.

He was talking about cross draw carry and ankle being optimal for everyday carry for either hand. I implore anyone run any course of fire using an ankle holster, pocket holster or cross draw.

Cross draw is the only thing that relates to my whole topic here is having a temporary carry option should the need arise from a medical issue.

Last edited:

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    There is not 1 carry position that is optimal and practical for everyday carry use utilizing both hands equally.
    I'm not talking about in an emergency. This is what you are talking about.

He was talking about cross draw carry and ankle being optimal. I implore anyone run any course of fire using an ankle holster, pocket holster or cross draw.
    People who think that these ways are viable, legit ways to carry (other than special situations) are sadly mistaken thinking they are equivalent.
    Oh, I see.

Yeah, I don't have EQUAL access to either hand AIWB.

I do have BETTER access to my weak hand than I would with 3:00 carry, at least for my body type/flexibility level.

Ankle carry is fine if you spend a large portion of your day driving or sitting in a cubicle farm in a less-permissive environment. Otherwise, not much of a fan.

Abuck

Ultimate Member
    I use strong side pocket carry, and/or 2,3,4 position, depending on my activity, such as walking, hiking, driving. Either are going to be very hard to reach in a strong arm down situation. Honestly, if needed quickly, the trousers will come down to allow me to reach far enough. Then what? Fire with limited mobility due to pants being down a bit? Put the weapon down, pull up my pants, and possibly die trying to do that under extreme stress? It’s sounds comical, but it’s not.

There are situations I’ve shifted a pocket carry to the weak side for this very reason. I’ve done some weak side firing, but not nearly enough.

Edit: The above is for an emergency active situation. Now I see the OP is inquiring about being a bit more prepared to carry weak side. That is one nice thing about a pocket carry piece, easy enough to switch sides. For anything larger, a weak side holster is something I don’t have, but would acquire quickly if needed.

Last edited:

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I swear, on my screen I am typing in english. Is the stuff posting in Esperanto and confusing people? lol
    No hablo Esperanto.

It is not at all relevant to the topic (like that should stop anything on MDS), but your comment reminded me of this video I just saw:

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    For a support side holster, try the DeSantis Slim Tuk. At around $40, it's a pretty good holster for the money, and it's ambidextrous.

The two sides, inside and outside, are mirror images. By merely switching the clip from one side to the other, it can switch back and forth from left hand to right hand.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I haven't tried to draw with my support hand (yet), but I've shot a few competitions that required some support hand shooting. It's pretty humbling to have a bunch of people watching you try to figure out where your hands go when mounting a shotgun to the wrong side...for the very first time in your life...on the clock :o. Pistols were easier to figure out how to hold (it's only one hand...and one place to put it).

The biggest challenge I've found so far is remembering which eye to use. Long guns seem to HAVE to use whichever eye is on the same side as the gun...so it didn't really take long to get into the habit of paying attention to whichever eye could see the sights.

Pistols, since I could move them to either eye...or use either eye, definitely causes some brain fuzz. Sometimes shooting around a barrier from the support side forced use of the support eye, and that wasn't too hard to figure out. Holding a pistol directly in front of me in my support hand will still spaz my eyes for the first time or two.

I guess the answer is practice and point shooting...but ain't nobody got time for that!

Crosseye Dominant

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2018
    No hablo Esperanto.

It is not at all relevant to the topic (like that should stop anything on MDS), but your comment reminded me of this video I just saw:

Lol, we gave up on asking the president question the last couple years. Too much blood pressure elevation.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    For a support side holster, try the DeSantis Slim Tuk. At around $40, it's a pretty good holster for the money, and it's ambidextrous.

The two sides, inside and outside, are mirror images. By merely switching the clip from one side to the other, it can switch back and forth from left hand to right hand.

Screenshot_20221223_003435_Gallery.jpg

Yup. It's a pretty solid holster. It needs a wedge or claw to pull the handle in though. It conceals for me better if I wear it on my right side with the clip outside of my front belt loop. If it's more centered, the handle sticks out at the baseplate. It also has some side to side teeter tottering to it, as that one clip is pretty narrow. You can get it to ride pretty low though, which I like, and it plays well with optics.

It's fast on and fast off, while still staying secure. Unlike the mission first minimalist holster, I've never yanked up on the gun and had the holster come with it. With that other one, you've got to be very careful putting it on to get the clip to engage with your belt.

I've moved on to the bravo concealment torsion. It's more comfortable, stable, and conceals better. It's also about 35-40 bucks. They make wrong-handed torsion, but only for g19s.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I haven't tried to draw with my support hand (yet), but I've shot a few competitions that required some support hand shooting. It's pretty humbling to have a bunch of people watching you try to figure out where your hands go when mounting a shotgun to the wrong side...for the very first time in your life...on the clock :o. Pistols were easier to figure out how to hold (it's only one hand...and one place to put it).

The biggest challenge I've found so far is remembering which eye to use. Long guns seem to HAVE to use whichever eye is on the same side as the gun...so it didn't really take long to get into the habit of paying attention to whichever eye could see the sights.

Pistols, since I could move them to either eye...or use either eye, definitely causes some brain fuzz. Sometimes shooting around a barrier from the support side forced use of the support eye, and that wasn't too hard to figure out. Holding a pistol directly in front of me in my support hand will still spaz my eyes for the first time or two.

I guess the answer is practice and point shooting...but ain't nobody got time for that!
    You still use your dominant eye. For pistols, a trick that helps me is canting the top of the pistol over to the right about 45 degrees. Doing that aligns the sights/red dot with my dominant eye quickly and naturally.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    View attachment 393338
    Yup. It's a pretty solid holster. It needs a wedge or claw to pull the handle in though. It conceals for me better if I wear it on my right side with the clip outside of my front belt loop. If it's more centered, the handle sticks out at the baseplate. It also has some side to side teeter tottering to it, as that one clip is pretty narrow. You can get it to ride pretty low though, which I like, and it plays well with optics.

It's fast on and fast off, while still staying secure. Unlike the mission first minimalist holster, I've never yanked up on the gun and had the holster come with it. With that other one, you've got to be very careful putting it on to get the clip to engage with your belt.

I've moved on to the bravo concealment torsion. It's more comfortable, stable, and conceals better. It's also about 35-40 bucks. They make wrong-handed torsion, but only for g19s.
    You might want to upgrade that plastic clip with a large Ulticlip. Those things are amazing.
    I love how thin these are. Damn near perfect. My issue was the plastic disks with the teeth were stripping.
    I really didn't care because the pistol kept it's cant for the most part.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    You still use your dominant eye. For pistols, a trick that helps me is canting the top of the pistol over to the right about 45 degrees. Doing that aligns the sights/red dot with my dominant eye quickly and naturally.
    This^^^

Last edited:

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    For amusement value I tried this last evening, drawing left handed. It went poorly. Appendix carry cross draw was smoother but damn that's an uncomfortable way to carry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom