• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    Have practiced a little. More the point shooting part not drawing. Mostly with a 1911 thats right handed controls. Eye opener getting that safety off.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Eddie Eagle would have a cow watching me shoot, draw or even think left handed.
    Good advice though.

Edwonbass

Jan 28, 2021
    Union Mills, MD
    As a guy that has had rotator cuff surgery (strong hand side) I can tell you, it's hard enough just trying to wipe your ass with your weak hand or in my case the left hand. Like Blaster said, there is no fighting through the pain. The damn thing just doesn't work until the it's healed for a few weeks. Lucky for me, I have to get my left shoulder done soon and I shoot right handed.
    I am a righty but left eye dominant, so I at least have that going for me.

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Wild Bill smiles.

WildBillFinal-220x300.jpg

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    They aren't popular currently because of the danger of falling on your back, but.
    I.W.B. S.O.B. one with a radical (30°, or so) forward cant.
    You can draw with either hand & its one of the better CC locations IMO.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Good idea, although might be "low probability training". Where using limited time for training might be better used for something more likely, and usually under-developed, like to draw from the usual position with the weak hand, or point shooting in general. Of course if someone had an issue, and was going to be down an arm for awhile, would be a good idea to start practicing that. IMO training something like draw proficiency takes muscle memory, which takes repetition and consistency. You can also train for an unusual scenario, where there isn't enough time or attention to really get proficient at it, just a little bit of info to give options.

Unless the idea is to open the door to dual wielding training, if that is the case, then F-yea, kids love that s#!t.

Last edited:

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Good idea, although might be "low probability training". Where using limited time for training might be better used for something more likely, and usually under-developed, like to draw from the usual position with the weak hand, or point shooting in general. Of course if someone had an issue, and was going to be down an arm for awhile, would be a good idea to start practicing that. IMO training something like draw proficiency takes muscle memory, which takes repetition and consistency. You can also train for an unusual scenario, where there isn't enough time or attention to really get proficient at it, just a little bit of info to give options.

Unless the idea is to open the door to dual wielding training, if that is the case, then F-yea, kids love that s#!t.
    Agree. Though I have read some secondary sources that doing "mirror training", i.e. training with everything reversed (weak hand performing functions the strong hand normally does, and vice versa) has benefits for the strong hand performing its normal functions. So there may be benefits even if it all SEEMS to be for nothing.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

Seriously? How hard is it to throw an offside holster in your pants when walking around the house drawing a gun occasionally?
    And no, it isn't worth spending that time doing something else that you should be doing anyway.
    Do you think about hard things all day long and think something easy needs to be difficult?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Do you suggest using carry positions that you can draw from with both hands, or a weak side back up weapon, or something else?

Obviously , I'm not Blaster .

But yes , for a BUG/ Second gun , best practices is for it to be accessible to either hand .

For a long time , with multiple guns , I used a straight Left Hand holster for the second .

From back to day one , I had made a point to learn/ practice with either hand . Eventually I slacked a little , but still made a point to do left only shooting every session .

My left only accuracy was at least as good as right only , sometimes better . Albeit , I was a little faster with right .

Then I had injury and tendon surgery to left hand . Returned to 100% by physical therapist standards , but not what it used to be . I'm now " normal person adaquate " with left hand shooting . No problem with 3yd weak hand only Qual stages , but no longer quasi ambidextrous . So as I run accross them at gun shows , I'm looking for crossdraws .

More unexpected , was how much a ( comparitively ) weaker left hand effected two hand strong hand shooting .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    There are no "UNI" locations/positions to draw from using either arm.

Yes there are ! Not necessarily as easily with both , and they will have inherent trade offs , but reasonably accessible to either hand is certainly possible .

Crossdraw
    Strong side belt , but fairly far to the rear at 4:30 or so . Someone with average upper body flexibility can reach behind the back with off hand for a twist draw without too much difficulty .
    Ankle holster worn on inside of ankle is equally available to either hand .

( The other implied possibility of strong side hip at 3:00 , to reach accross with off hand for twist draw is highly variable. Some people can do it with some holsters . But a barrell chest , big boobs , or a Dunlop can make that a total non starter .)

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Eddie Eagle would have a cow watching me shoot, draw or even think left handed.
    Good advice though.

PSA. If you include shooting with either hand from the start of your handgun endeavors , it is no more awkward with weak hand than stong hand , if you learn both simultaneously .

Luckily , I had already virtually memorized Sixguns by Keith before I started serious handgun shooting . ( Keith emphasized learning both hands from the start . With an eye for eventually learning the esoteric skill of accurately shooting a gun in each hand simultaneously .)

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Yes there are ! Not necessarily as easily with both , and they will have inherent trade offs , but reasonably accessible to either hand is certainly possible .

Crossdraw
    Strong side belt , but fairly far to the rear at 4:30 or so . Someone with average upper body flexibility can reach behind the back with off hand for a twist draw without too much difficulty .
    Ankle holster worn on inside of ankle is equally available to either hand .

( The other implied possibility of strong side hip at 3:00 , to reach accross with off hand for twist draw is highly variable. Some people can do it with some holsters . But a barrell chest , big boobs , or a Dunlop can make that a total non starter .)
    Ridiculous.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    But true

Added - If the question was : What are ideal positions ro carry one & only one gun , and only draw with strong hand , those aren't ideal .

But the topic was : Whether or not there are carry modes accessible with either hand .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom