• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Are all of the current RCBS dies and stuff backwards compatible with the JR3?

If I picked up an old JR3, is there anything I should make sure that it has, that isn't available anymore?

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    Like Biggfoot said, dies and shell holders should be good to go.

Spent primer tray and primer arm parts might be a different story as far as replacements if needed.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Are all of the current RCBS dies and stuff backwards compatible with the JR3?

If I picked up an old JR3, is there anything I should make sure that it has, that isn't available anymore?
    I have two ancient RCBS presses. All standard sizes.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Basically I've been torn between getting a progressive press and just keeping it simple with a standard press.
    The main question seems to be "will you be reloading a lot of ammo and do you need to do it quickly?"

The answer is: I guess not, because thanks to inflation it's not really any more cost effective. Reloading gives me precise control over my loads and offers me the ability to experiment but it's not really saving me any money. Maybe a little if I reuse my brass 4X.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Basically I've been torn between getting a progressive press and just keeping it simple with a standard press.
    The main question seems to be "will you be reloading a lot of ammo and do you need to do it quickly?"

The answer is: I guess not, because thanks to inflation it's not really any more cost effective. Reloading gives me precise control over my loads and offers me the ability to experiment but it's not really saving me any money. Maybe a little if I reuse my brass 4X.
    If you do go with a progressive, always keep a single stage in use as well. You'll still have a need for it.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County

There is also the question of do you or will you even like reloading. If I have this right, you just got a nice older single stage and starting to look at all the options out there one can buy.

I would pick one caliber and get what you need for that and see how it goes with your single stage and go from there.

I started on a single stage and still only use that. But I’m a low volume reloader for revolver cartridges which are mostly just fun guns and the ammo is expensive. Especially .45 Colt and .44 special. I buy my higher volume ammo which is basically 9mm and 5.56.

I also batch load. So I do one step at a time when I feel like it until I have what I need to move to the next step.

Also remember too, if you get a progressive, you can still use it like a single stage to get comfortable. The other advantage is setting up a die plate for each caliber so you don’t have to swap dies all the time which may or may not be an issue for you.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Like Biggfoot said, dies and shell holders should be good to go.

Spent primer tray and primer arm parts might be a different story as far as replacements if needed.

Best guess, neither should be a problem with availability. I needed both parts for putting an older 1960's JR2 back into service. RCBS sent them to me at no charge. Lots of similarity with a number of the RCBS presses over the years. A number of parts on some models are identical. The primer cup was once aluminum. Today you'll get plastic, but it'll fit. OP's JR3 is essentially the same press as the JR2, except for the 3 having a heavier handle thread connection.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    There is also the question of do you or will you even like reloading. If I have this right, you just got a nice older single stage and starting to look at all the options out there one can buy.
    I have been reloading with friends' equipment. I do enjoy it. There is a lot of science behind it and seeing what goes into the production of a finished cartridge was eye-opening.

I did not purchase the single stage press last night. The auction ran out while I was searching for answers on parts availability. Since everyone is saying that I'll still want a single stage press alongside a mult-stage press, I may as well just buy a single stage and start out with that.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Sigh...

I understand the difference between the old JR2 and JR3. What is the difference between the JR3 and the older Reloading Partner?

I want to reload the following:
    9mm Luger
    .30-06
    .350 Legend

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Sigh...

I understand the difference between the old JR2 and JR3. What is the difference between the JR3 and the older Reloading Partner?

I want to reload the following:
    9mm Luger
    .30-06
    .350 Legend

Not positive. But if I'm not mistaken, the Partner presses are made with a cast aluminum frame, rather than heavier and stronger cast iron like the older JR3's. I think the later versions of the 3 could once be had as aluminum as well.

If your focus is used RCBS single stage, I would try to find a Rockchucker. That cast iron and compound leverage press will easily handle '06 rifle rounds, case forming, and anything else heavy that you're apt to want to do on a single stage. It will (quite literally) outlive your grandkids.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    If your focus is used RCBS single stage, I would try to find a Rockchucker.
    Yes, .30-06 seems to be the limit for the JR3. There is a lot of back and forth as to whether the extra leverage of the RC is necessary for .30-06. It definitely makes it easier.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Yes, .30-06 seems to be the limit for the JR3. There is a lot of back and forth as to whether the extra leverage of the RC is necessary for .30-06. It definitely makes it easier.

It does indeed make it easier to size '06. I have both a 1979 Rockchucker and a 1968 JR2 on my bench at present. (I think those years are correct.)

Anyway, run a case through the sizing die of both presses. Not that the JR won't handle 06, because it will.
    But you'll only need to do the comparison I describe once. The difference is immediately that obvious.
    Used RC is fine as long as it hasn't been abused. Now if you envision loading cases much longer than 06, opening size can become a consideration.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Now if you envision loading cases much longer than 06, opening size can become a consideration.
    Nah, I'm pretty sure that .30-06 is my limit (famous last words...)

Ok, you guys have saved me from cheaping out and making a mistake. I'll go for the Rockchucker.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Not positive. But if I'm not mistaken, the Partner presses are made with a cast aluminum frame, rather than heavier and stronger cast iron like the older JR3's. I think the later versions of the 3 could once be had as aluminum as well.

If your focus is used RCBS single stage, I would try to find a Rockchucker. That cast iron and compound leverage press will easily handle '06 rifle rounds, case forming, and anything else heavy that you're apt to want to do on a single stage. It will (quite literally) outlive your grandkids.
    My grandfather gave me his Rock Chucker that I use occasionally. When I die your statement will be true, it's solid and in great shape. Just a little grease and wipe it down to prevent rust.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Ok, bought a Rockchucker with primer feeding attachment for $165, including shipping. It was clean and rust-free compared to many other offerings. Doesn't have the ball handle on the lever though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom