• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lmo

Mar 1, 2018
    Seizing without just compensation violates the Takings Clause of the Constitution ...

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    In serious answer, probably no. NY didn’t outlaw possession by the common folk. They just banned sales/purchases/transfers to the common folk absent a really damned good reason.

You can still possess it.
    Is it like our magazine law? You have to go out of state to get your body armor?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Doesn’t armor fall under “arms?” How can the government ban a citizens use or armor?
    There are companies that refuse to sell BA to 'legs'.

I refuse to deal with them. They are like;armor for me, none for thee...

Sgt. Psycho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 1, 2009
    What are “legs”?
    "Leg", short for "Straight Leg" back in the day, is an Army slang term for non-Airborne qualified (jump qualified) soldiers. Jump qualified soldiers perform their PLF (parachute landing fall) with their knees bent. Calling non jump qualified soldiers "straight legs" or just "legs" for short is a way of contrasting Airborne soldiers with soldiers who have never had to perform a jump, therefore never having to have the bent knees for a proper PLF. "Legs today are also known as "NAPS" - Non Airborne Personnel.

I believe Outrider was using the term in his context to describe people whom the body armor companies think are not qualified to purchase armor, such as non-police, non-first responder, or non-military civilians.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    "Leg", short for "Straight Leg" back in the day, is an Army slang term for non-Airborne qualified (jump qualified) soldiers. Jump qualified soldiers perform their PLF (parachute landing fall) with their knees bent. Calling non jump qualified soldiers "straight legs" or just "legs" for short is a way of contrasting Airborne soldiers with soldiers who have never had to perform a jump, therefore never having to have the bent knees for a proper PLF. "Legs today are also known as "NAPS" - Non Airborne Personnel.

I believe Outrider was using the term in his context to describe people whom the body armor companies think are not qualified to purchase armor, such as non-police, non-first responder, or non-military civilians.
    Thanks!

Attachments

• 5AE98EA9-A1CB-41D7-A37A-32265D49CB9A.png
      5AE98EA9-A1CB-41D7-A37A-32265D49CB9A.png
      148.3 KB · Views: 60

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Doesn’t armor fall under “arms?” How can the government ban a citizens use or armor?

They are indeed arms. Legal challenges would be novel though, as I’m not sure bans or restrictions have been litigated against. Most restrictions on armor relate to convicted or dangerous persons, not blanket bans on citizens from possessing it.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland

Wow. Legislatures literally wipe their asses with the US Constitution, daily.
    "We'll just pass laws because it'll take years and millions of dollars to litigate them all the way to SCOTUS."

I have been a scrupulous rule-follower my entire life. Not anymore. I know that Maryland is eye-balling something like this and there's zero chance that I'll surrender anything while the police are being defunded, we're facing down another "summer of love" and Communists are on the brink of permanent government power.

It's hard to believe. 20 years of military service, honorably discharged, 20 years of security clearances and flawless polygraphs. Never anything worse than a speeding ticket. Now I'm a criminal. We're all criminals, just for living our quiet, peaceful lives.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    They are indeed arms. Legal challenges would be novel though, as I’m not sure bans or restrictions have been litigated against. Most restrictions on armor relate to convicted or dangerous persons, not blanket bans on citizens from possessing it.

I'd be kind of surprised if one isn't forth coming. And unless SCOTUS decides for some crazy reason they wouldn't qualify as arms, it'll get overturned toot sweet. Look at the taser court case.

Up next, let's ban airbags and seat belts in cars.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Exactly this.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Is it like our magazine law? You have to go out of state to get your body armor?
    Oh, nope I was wrong. It does ban possession. All of the news I've been reading says it bans the sale, but the short bill says possession is also a misdemeanor offense unless you are actively in law enforcement or the secretary of state as deemed your profession to have an exemption and only while you are actively employed in said profession.

The language is short and shitty. Near as I can tell, the INSTANT you are no longer employed in said profession you are a criminal if you are in possession. The INSTANT. There is a 15 day grace period, but only AFTER the law goes in to effect. There is no language about needing to turn in your body armor after you cease employment in your profession. So you better hope you've turned it in before you retire, resign or get terminated.

What a crock of shit. The justification is even ridiculously patronizing.

Bill justification

"Unless you are actively working in law enforcement, there is no legiti-
    mate reason to purchase or own a bullet-proof vest (known in New York
    State law as a body vest). Bullet-proof vests are necessary to protect
    those in law enforcement or those whose professions put them at risk of
    injury such as armored car drivers or security guards. Otherwise, bullet
    proof vests are used by those intending to protect themselves while
    committing crimes."

I guess if someone is breaking into your house, as the homeowner you are now committing a crime? Is this like the anti-landlord/tenant protection laws gone too far? Pro-burglar? Or what if you've had a threat against your life? Because it for sure sounds like if you are some VIP, you'd be committing a crime wearing body armor, let alone a crime victim. Don't be on witpro in live in/pass through New York!!!

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    It's a misdemeanor. I'd violate that law all day long if it meant the difference between death and a misdemeanor.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Oh, nope I was wrong. It does ban possession. All of the news I've been reading says it bans the sale, but the short bill says possession is also a misdemeanor offense unless you are actively in law enforcement or the secretary of state as deemed your profession to have an exemption and only while you are actively employed in said profession.

The language is short and shitty. Near as I can tell, the INSTANT you are no longer employed in said profession you are a criminal if you are in possession. The INSTANT. There is a 15 day grace period, but only AFTER the law goes in to effect. There is no language about needing to turn in your body armor after you cease employment in your profession. So you better hope you've turned it in before you retire, resign or get terminated.

What a crock of shit. The justification is even ridiculously patronizing.

Bill justification

"Unless you are actively working in law enforcement, there is no legiti-
    mate reason to purchase or own a bullet-proof vest (known in New York
    State law as a body vest). Bullet-proof vests are necessary to protect
    those in law enforcement or those whose professions put them at risk of
    injury such as armored car drivers or security guards. Otherwise, bullet
    proof vests are used by those intending to protect themselves while
    committing crimes."

I guess if someone is breaking into your house, as the homeowner you are now committing a crime? Is this like the anti-landlord/tenant protection laws gone too far? Pro-burglar? Or what if you've had a threat against your life? Because it for sure sounds like if you are some VIP, you'd be committing a crime wearing body armor, let alone a crime victim. Don't be on witpro in live in/pass through New York!!!
    so if you do a Marty McFly or Bruce Wayne (Michael Keaton) and slide a device like a cast iron stove door, or serving tray under your shirt during a break in will that be considered body armor....

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    so if you do a Marty McFly or Bruce Wayne (Michael Keaton) and slide a device like a cast iron stove door, or serving tray under your shirt during a break in will that be considered body armor....
    I haven’t looked at specific statute for NY, but I think it reads effectively 8 layers of Kevlar or more, or the equivalent to level II NIJ standard protection in a wearable vest.

Better hope your baseball catchers vest or dirt bike armor is fairly thin plastic.

Also no jousting competition in NY or medieval or renaissance re-enactors.

Also I don’t see exemptions for museums. So I hope the Met is going to get rid of their medieval arms and armor collection FAST.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I haven’t looked at specific statute for NY, but I think it reads effectively 8 layers of Kevlar or more, or the equivalent to level II NIJ standard protection in a wearable vest.

Better hope your baseball catchers vest or dirt bike armor is fairly thin plastic.

Also no jousting competition in NY or medieval or renaissance re-enactors.

Also I don’t see exemptions for museums. So I hope the Met is going to get rid of their medieval arms and armor collection FAST.
    Places like the Met fall under the discretionary exclusion in the law.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom