• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Reposting on a new page:

I'm trying to find out if anyone is going to Annapolis for the 1:00 PM bill introduction on Tuesday. And I don't see that here. Unfortunately, I had to read posts where a bunch of people are bickering Is there anything going on Tuesday?.

Here's a call-out I put up on another thread and will re-post here:

Tuesday Jan. 31st, MOMS DEMANDING ACTION will hold their LOBBY DAY EVENT at the Statehouse at all morning. THE PATRIOT PICKET WILL BE THERE TO CONFRONT THEIR STUPIDITY WITH FACTS, SO JOIN US! As always, you can grab a Patriot Picket sign or bring one of your own.

FOR THOSE THAT CAN COME EARLY: We will take our signs back to Rowe Blvd and Taylor Avenue for the first time in 2017 to catch the eyeballs of the many MOMS DEMANDING ACTION streaming in to the State Capitol for their Lobby Day Event. We will start that action at 7am on Rowe Boulevard @ Taylor Street. This is a great opportunity for people to join in, and still be to work around 9am. You can park in the Grauls Market lot because they are not open at that hour, no es problema.

After 9am we will switch over to Lawyer's Mall to confront them with our signs there.

FOR THOSE WHO CAN JOIN THE ACTION MID-MORNING: On Tuesday morning Jan. 31st, we will definitely be in place by 10:30am at Lawyer's Mall. At that time, the MOMs will be forming up and the Maryland Senate will also be crossing the street to get to their session so they are our audience too!

AT 11:45am the MOMs will rally at Lawyer's Mall and we expect to be pushed across the street by the Maryland Capitol Police, but with our signs and 1st Amendment rights, WE WILL BE SEEN AND HEARD.

So basically, our core group will be conducting the Patriot Picket between 7am and 12:30pm on Tuesday. Feel free to jump in for any part of Tuesday's action.

For those that can be in the room for the bill introduction at 1pm, COME ON DOWN!

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Reposting on a new page:

Here's a call-out I put up on another thread and will re-post here:

Tuesday Jan. 31st, MOMS DEMANDING ACTION will hold their LOBBY DAY EVENT at the Statehouse at all morning. THE PATRIOT PICKET WILL BE THERE TO CONFRONT THEIR STUPIDITY WITH FACTS, SO JOIN US! As always, you can grab a Patriot Picket sign or bring one of your own.

FOR THOSE THAT CAN COME EARLY: We will take our signs back to Rowe Blvd and Taylor Avenue for the first time in 2017 to catch the eyeballs of the many MOMS DEMANDING ACTION streaming in to the State Capitol for their Lobby Day Event. We will start that action at 7am on Rowe Boulevard @ Taylor Street. This is a great opportunity for people to join in, and still be to work around 9am. You can park in the Grauls Market lot because they are not open at that hour, no es problema.

After 9am we will switch over to Lawyer's Mall to confront them with our signs there.

FOR THOSE WHO CAN JOIN THE ACTION MID-MORNING: On Tuesday morning Jan. 31st, we will definitely be in place by 10:30am at Lawyer's Mall. At that time, the MOMs will be forming up and the Maryland Senate will also be crossing the street to get to their session so they are our audience too!

AT 11:45am the MOMs will rally at Lawyer's Mall and we expect to be pushed across the street by the Maryland Capitol Police, but with our signs and 1st Amendment privilege, WE WILL BE SEEN AND HEARD.

So basically, our core group will be conducting the Patriot Picket between 7am and 12:30pm on Tuesday. Feel free to jump in for any part of Tuesday's action.

For those that can be in the room for the bill introduction at 1pm, COME ON DOWN!

Good idea.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    great now I have to find route 2.

Where are you in relation to 301? Are you actually in Accokeek with 301 to the east of you? If so, 301 to Route 4 east and then some backroads to route 2 are a possibility. If you are east of 301, then find those backroads to route 2 and avoid 301.

Worst case scenario, take 301 to route 50 and into Annapolis. Just avoid the DC beltway altogether.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    I think it was made clear as day. You just cannot admit that I was not insinuating that you are a liar and that your accusation that I was was misfounded because you failed to read my entire post before laying the accusation.

I can admit when I am wrong, can you?

That's what I expected. More promises about your capabilities, but a failure to follow through.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    I hope there is as much time and energy being spent on preparing and fighting 159 and Jen as there is being spent here arguing amongst one another. We are our own worst enemy at times...they know this and effectively use it against us.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Was a Connecticut style ban in the works back then?

I was new gun owner (bought my first firearm months before the legislative effort came together) and not plugged into what was happening (but trying as best to keep up via reading MDS, MSI announcements, etc).

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

The primary goal (back in 2013) was to institute laws at the state level that would criminalize possession of firearms. The "Ban List" was more than a list of guns to not sell. It was a list of evidence in your upcoming trial.

Specifically, there was a provision in the original text for "registration" of regulated firearms that you already owned. It was short - something like 90 days or less (not bothering to look it up now). It had no exception for sickness, travel or deployment. You had a short time-frame to register, and if you did not register then possession of the gun meant you were instant felon, with a potential penalty long enough to disqualify you for life from gun ownership everywhere in the USA, due to Federal law.

The goal was to criminalize possession - to turn gun owners into permanent non-owners. It was a smart play for them because it actually set up a condition where federal law would do the dirty-work. All they had to do was get you to plead out to owning a non-registered gun - maybe let you pay a small fine and turn in the gun. But even though you never went to jail - or even saw the inside of a courtroom - you were sentenced under a criminal firearm statute that could have resulted in more than 2 years. That was (is) enough to put you in NICS for life.

One question asked during the FSA hubbub was why they used the same old list from 1994 (the Regulated Firearm List). Why didn't they update it, or even replace it with just the new "features test"? The answer is simple once you realize the goal of FSA-2013 was criminalization: they needed a drop-dead way to identify those who could be prosecuted, and proof that they broke the law.

Maryland already had thousands of firearms on their registration list. They knew who you were and what you had. And helping the state's attorney would be the the form you signed before FSA declaring your possession and acknowledging that you understood it to be a regulated firearm. By banning the exact same list that existed at the time you signed that form, there was no way for you to argue you didn't know it was banned.

As soon as the registration period passed it would be short work to see who didn't file the right forms, and to go collect your guns and charge you. Instant lifetime ban, baby.

They wanted this bad. Really, really bad. This was the goal. So bad that when we pushed an amendment that would have given deployed combat personnel 90 days to register after they returned from deployment, it failed. This was an easy "gimme" amendment, we thought. After all, there were people on rotation before the bill was even proposed that would not return from Iraq until well after the registration period expired. Deployed soldiers would be instant criminals and would have no way to avoid it.

That Senate amendment failed along party lines. That is an example of how bad they wanted this.

We eventually got the whole regime tossed, and it was not the GOP alone who pulled it off. They were supportive, don't get me wrong. They just openly said they couldn't do it alone. The fix was in.

What we did was work with Dems who were open to hearing and dealing. Dems who were not in the leadership of any committees. Dems you would never suspect. And it worked, because we made sense and they realized the system would hurt their constituents. They would have never heard that from O'Malley - he actually tried to ban meeting with us (that backfired spectacularly with a few Dems who didn't like being told what words they are not allowed to hear).

I think the overall contention here is the idea that this community needs to choose exactly one path: in-yer-face combat or more nuanced approaches. We need both. The people on the inside get things done, but absolutely would get nowhere without the energy of those willing to get loud. But be absolutely clear - being loud won't get you anything on its own. If it were that easy, it'd be over by now.

And this is why some of us have to play nice with the other team.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Patrick, thanks for the lengthy explanation. The more that I learn about O'Malley's criminalization schemes for gun owners, the more that I'm convinced he's a sociopath, purely focused on his personal success and devoid of empathy and even morality in his decision making. It's reassuring that there were indeed good Democrats that stood with Republicans to protect Marylanders as best they could in 2013.

I agree that a multipronged approach to protect our rights is our best defense. Beyond the reasons that you've stated, sometimes success comes in different areas (e.g. a court case garners a favorable ruling). It also involves more people to the best of their abilities. In the present day, I'm pleased with the effort that MSI has made to challenge MD restrictive gun rights laws in court, and I'm wowed by the tip of the spear efforts that members of the MDS community have made to challenge and draw attention to new restrictive legislation as it percolates up.

The synergy from these not fully overlapping efforts between the grassroots fighters bringing attention to attempts of infringements on the streets of Annapolis and those able to bend the ears of legislators in the halls of Annapolis when/if it comes to a point of sausage making is critical.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Del. Aruna Miller's canned response today to the NRA-ILA mass e-mail letter. Looks like unsubstantiated claims, and/or cherry-picked facts without regard to relevance or cause and effect:

"Dear _____,

Thank you for contacting my office and expressing your comments HB159-Weapon-Free Higher Education Zones. I respect your position and your strong convictions about this matter.

The overwhelming majority of the 4,400 colleges and universities in the United States prohibit the carrying of firearms on their campuses. Gun-free policies have helped to make our post-secondary education institutions some of the safest places in the country. A Department of Justice study found that 93% of violent crimes that victimize college students occur off campus.

Studies have confirmed that policies allowing civilians to bring guns onto college campuses are unlikely to reduce mass shootings on campus, are likely to lead to more shootings, homicides, and suicides on campus, and would likely compromise the lives and safety of innocent students, faculty, and staff. I believe introducing guns to college campuses, concealed or otherwise, the risks far outweigh the benefits. For these reasons, I am a co-sponsor of HB159.

Once again, thank you for sharing your concerns with me. I encourage you to always remain vocal on the issues that matter to you. Your active engagement plays an important role in shaping our future. To follow the status of this bill and other legislation, please log onto the Maryland General Assembly's website.

Best Regards,
    Delegate Aruna Miller"

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom