• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    I get the point of shooting without hearing protection; but I just feel that the very limited additional training benefit is not worth the risk of damage to ones hearing. I won't recommend your training to any of my associates, and I strongly urge anyone reading this to avoid any training that would even allow a participant to do such a foolish and unsafe act.

Hope you can convince NRA to modify this portion of the training.

If we accept this what's next? Do you know what a bullet whizzing past you sounds like? I do, and it's not something I recommend either.

Respectfully submitted.

Stay safe.

See my discussion on the important topic of protecting your hearing:
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?p=1932935#post1932935

Took the words right out of my mouth..

C45P312

Jan 17, 2012
    Virginia
    NRA Defensive Pistol Course Description: The NRA Defensive Pistol Course is conducted by a select group of NRA Advanced Pistol Instructors. The training focuses on technique and the development of a defensive mindset. The goal of the course is to further develop the Knowledge, Skills, and Attitude necessary to carry and employ a concealed pistol ethically, responsibly, and with confidence. Upon successful completion of this training student's should be able to demonstrate the following:

• Know NRA Rules for Safe Gun Handling and How Applied when Carrying Concealed
    • Moral Responsibility when Carrying Concealed
    • Methods to Steer Clear of Threatening Confrontations
    • Continuum of Force - Mental Preparation Staying Within the Law
    • Developing a Defensive Survival Mindset when Incorporating a Handgun into Personal Protection Strategy
    • Psychological and Physiological Changes You May Experience Throughout an Attack
    • Cover and Concealment
    • Proficiently Presenting – Holstering Your Handgun
    • Flash Sight Picture (FSP) – No Bulleyes Shooting
    • Reloading Under Stress – No Magazine Ammunition Loaders
    • Competently Rectify Malfunctions and Stoppages
    • Optional Real World One Shooter at a Time Exercises Shoot 1-5 Rounds Void of Ear Protection and Increased Heart Rate Shooting.

Thanks for that Grizzly. Didn't mean to start anything here. Just wanted to know if it was part of the curriculum is all. NRA has yet to get back to me after 3 emails.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    Thanks for your lovely insight and value added to this thread. If you have any more words of wisdom you can provide the members of MDShooters.com, by all means, continue on with posting in this thread.

I am just trying to confirm if that is what is stated in the NRA Curriculum so I know if I should recommend this course to the more elderly students looking to get some training and knowledge. And by elderly I mean those who already have some notable hearing lost already. I rather not subject them to this type of training where the curriculum calls for shooting a firearm without any hearing protection.
    Don't let those type of comments bother you. I see you are fairly new to MDS and you will have to get used to dealing with the know-it-all-been-there-done-that-gun-god-types.

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    If we accept this what's next? Do you know what a bullet whizzing past you sounds like? I do, and it's not something I recommend either.

Respectfully submitted.

I don't see how you can compare being down range with being behind the firing line,, :sarcasm: but I guess it is the same thing:sarcasm:

And yes I do know what a bullet passing by at supersonic speed sounds like, I have been in the scoring pit as rounds pass over head, it isn't a wizz, it is a crack. I don't know what a sub sonic round sounds like though.

Tom

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    What's with this guy above me? He's posted this same thing in several forums.Spammer?

jbrow117

MC Driver
    Nov 9, 2008
    Michigan
    Hearing protection

I've taken the course and removing our hearing protection was not required.
    I do not think it is an NRA requirement.
    There was a score requirement. Two students (out of 8) were asked to come back in 6 months.
    A good prerequisite would be PPOTH, IDPA CCW practice or know how to present from a holster and hit what you shoot at. The final qualification was scored and timed using turners.

1.Always keep the firearm pointed in a safe direction.
    2.Always keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.
    3.Always keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.

Additionally, the NRA advocates the following rules of safe gun handling:

Know your target and what is beyond.
    Know how to use the gun safely.
    Be sure the gun is safe to operate.
    Use only the correct ammunition for your gun.
    Wear ear and eye protection when appropriate.
    Never use alcohol or drugs before or while shooting.
    Store guns so they are not accessible to unauthorized persons.
    Be aware that certain types of guns and many shooting activities require additional safety precautions.
    Clean your gun, making absolutely sure that it is unloaded before doing so.

jbrow117

MC Driver
    Nov 9, 2008
    Michigan
    Thanks for that Grizzly. Didn't mean to start anything here. Just wanted to know if it was part of the curriculum is all. NRA has yet to get back to me after 3 emails.

The training department just cashed one of my checks from May (that's 6 months, I had to use 2 hands to count). I had to find my old ledger as I didn't even remember what I had written it for. I wish I knew when they were going to cash them so I could leave it in savings and collect interest! :)

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Very well put jbrow117, thanks for the update.

I've made my case, people who have shot with me know I'm not a safety nazi. I'm sincerely glad the NRA is getting into some more intermediate training.

Also, my intent is not to bash the NRA; far from it, I am a proud life member. Frankly I'd like to take some NRA classes, but I'm reluctant to waste so much of my time and money completing these prerequisites. A couple years ago I sat through the IDPA Safety Officers course (8 hours); I was dreading it, but the instructor was so engaging and explained so much about IDPA that he made it (a relatively basic class) as interesting as possible.

It would be nice if the NRA accept individuals with significant 'other' training on a case-by-case basis; in lieu of their prerequisites to attend this course. Interview then maybe a brief range check sufficient?

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    It would be nice if the NRA accept individuals with significant 'other' training on a case-by-case basis; in lieu of their prerequisites to attend this course. Interview then maybe a brief range check sufficient?

I agree with this. Good concept.

When I was in LE, I spent two weeks at Blackwater taking a customized "Courthouse security" class to beef up our courthouse security. The class was basically 2 weeks of shooting. The certificate says "Courthouse security blah, blah".....I don't think the NRA would view that cert as meeting their requirements for the NRA Defensive Handgun course, so I don't even bother.

Besides, I think that our Defensive Handgun class is way better :) (but we will make you wear your hearing protection the whole time)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom