Not to remove Buck Mark sporter rifle barrel ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • josh19

Dec 12, 2013
    Hi, this is a continuation of the other thread seeking advises in getting the Browning Buck mark sporter rifle 22. Well, I just picked it up couple days ago. A beautiful rifle. I followed the instruction (in the manual) in initial cleaning. First with running the slightly oiled patches through the rifle barrel.

I used the same allen wrench (7/64) as I did with the buck mark 7" pistol to remove the rifle barrel (18"). see photo. I had a hard time try to loosen the barrel screw. Comparing these to the pistol, it looks the same screw/nut. Not sure why I can not loosen it.

Then I called Browning tech support for help. The person said the rifle barrel is not to be removed like the pistol. When cleaning the rifle barrel just clean it assembled

Any thought on this ?

josh19

Dec 12, 2013
    Here is the photo, both barrel screw/nut looks same size. but what 7/64 work on pistol does not work on rifle.

Attachments

• barrel screw.jpg
      barrel screw.jpg
      7.7 KB · Views: 491

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    It's your rifle, do what you want. But the factory already gave you their opinion, so don't expect any warranty service if you mess it up.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I wouldn't pull the barrel on either one for cleaning, doesn't really need it, just to replace it, or work on it. The screws are hella tight, the rifle especially has a ton of threadlocker on it Heat the screw with a high temp soldering iron till you see a puff of smoke from the threadlocker burning up, then use a good bit socket, secure the front section of the barrel/frame in a padded vise and crank it out.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    I have never removed barrel on my Sporter for cleaning. I only remove them on my pistols to swap barrels.

Cleaning the Buckmark is easy with the barrel in place. If you want you can remove the sight rail. This will give you the same access for cleaning as removing the barrel.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    They may well have locked the barrel in place to prevent someone easily putting a pistol barrel onto the rifle frame (if that is possible). So, I don't think I would try it.

josh19

Dec 12, 2013
    You all are absolutely correct and well advised not to mess around with the barrel. Just leave it the way it is. The little child mind always want to take things apart. But I will leave this alone. Really a pretty looking rifle. Love the look and the grip. Will try out in range when weather let up.

Thanks again, everyone for the sharing.

josh19

Dec 12, 2013
    So beautifully crafted. Gun to man is like diamond to a woman. I absolutely like the buck Mark pistol. I put over 2000 rounds and only couple FTF. Very reliable. Just feel good to hold it. Because of the low 22 recoil, I hit the mark easily at least at 25' and 75' indoor range. The sporter should be even better as I can hold it more steady and firm.

Attachments

• BM pistol n rifle.jpg
      BM pistol n rifle.jpg
      6.1 KB · Views: 396

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads