• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheDonMD

Mar 18, 2013
    HoCo
    If you travel in VA and don't just pass through, having a VA permit allows you to be in full compliance with the GFSZA.

Perhaps a technicality, but worth noting a permit from the state the school is in makes you 100% legal with the GFSZA.

Got it, thanks.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Some people have said that VA LEO's are more comfortable with a VA permit instead of a reciprocal permit.

I have seen absolutely no proof of this.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    And as a general principles , redundency is a good thing. Moreso out west, but the various states often enough get into urination contests and disaccept and reaccept each other's permits over trivial issues.

With overlapping permits you could carry one in pocket, one in wallet, in case you step out without wallet.

Ideally have staggered expirations, in case one is slow in renewing, or you have a brain fade and forget to renew on time.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Why both? I have a Utah and don't see what VA adds.

Because under the GFSZ act, you must have a permit from THAT state to have a firearm within 1000 feet of a school.

In VA, there have been a couple cases of people being hassled by a few troopers for driving past a school, with a CW, and not having a VA permit.

So many recommend getting the VA permit.

Most other states are not so strict.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Some people have said that VA LEO's are more comfortable with a VA permit instead of a reciprocal permit.

I have seen absolutely no proof of this.

I have not seen any proof, but it was mentioned in our UT class. And for the $100 for 5 years, it seemed like a no brainer to me.

We were told there had been a couple of instances of troopers hassling people without VA permits, driving past a school. IIRC, they were stopped for some other reason, then hassled when it turned out they were carrying.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Do we have any actual proof of VA LEO's actually hassling or arresting people?. I have heard this before but never seen any actual proof.

And I'm not saying compliance isn't a good idea. Obeying the law is always a good thing.

Unsubstantiated stories in firearms safety classes are in the same class as "gun store legal advice" AFAIAC

And the GFSZA is a Fedreal statute, not a state statute. I don't know how a local LEO enforces a Federal law. this guy?

Attachments

• tommy.jpg
      tommy.jpg
      68.9 KB · Views: 111

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    When I was walking through the Howard County gun show with my kids I heard a Utah class being taught and what was being said was embarrassing. To give an example: "there is no way you need more than one or two shots to take down a bad guy". He went on to say that "it is nonsense that anyone would ever have to empty their clip to stop a bad guy even if they were on drugs". Lastly he said "even a .22 will always stop a bad guy with one or two shots". Yes the trainer said "clip" when talking about defensive handgun use.

The training company name is a four letter word/or acronym and they have been the recipients of much scorn on MDS due to a particularly anti freedom statist stance by one of the owners. Nothing the trainer said seemed to make an iota of sense.

Forgive me for not believing some nonsense overheard in a "training" class about VSP harassing people for GFSZ violations.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    When I was walking through the Howard County gun show with my kids I heard a Utah class being taught and what was being said was embarrassing. To give an example: "there is no way you need more than one or two shots to take down a bad guy". He went on to say that "it is nonsense that anyone would ever have to empty their clip to stop a bad guy even if they were on drugs". Lastly he said "even a .22 will always stop a bad guy with one or two shots". Yes the trainer said "clip" when talking about defensive handgun use.

The training company name is a four letter word/or acronym and they have been the recipients of much scorn on MDS due to a particularly anti freedom statist stance by one of the owners. Nothing the trainer said seemed to make an iota of sense.

Forgive me for not believing some nonsense overheard in a "training" class about VSP harassing people for GFSZ violations.

What happened to old adage that you keep shooting until the threat is neutralized? I guess these new fancy boolits we have today will stop anybody/anything.

I'm sure glad I wasn't in that class.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

I've seen/heard her in action out at AGC as well and everytime it confirms my belief that she is dumb as a box of rocks.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    And as a general principles , redundency is a good thing. Moreso out west, but the various states often enough get into urination contests and disaccept and reaccept each other's permits over trivial issues.

With overlapping permits you could carry one in pocket, one in wallet, in case you step out without wallet.

Ideally have staggered expirations, in case one is slow in renewing, or you have a brain fade and forget to renew on time.

This^^^

Things to consider;
    1. GFSZ Act
    2. Redundancy and overlapping expirations
    3. Police are most familiar with their own state's permits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Clearly coming from a person who has never encountered someone drugs or faced any real danger for that matter. Particularly from someone on PCP.

3 "clips" from a Glock 17 may not cause a timely CNS shut down when someone is high on PCP and the shots don't land at one of the few near instant shut down points in the body.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom