• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thanatron

MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2012
    Just an FYI..

In May I was in FL visiting some family and decided to apply for the permit. I called ahead of time to schedule an appointment in Punta Gorda FL right outside of where my family lives.

The woman I spoke w/ told me to bring my hunter safety cert and my MD ID. To be safe I brought my MD firearm card, hunter safety card, my Govt work ID, and my license. My appt was at 8am.

I was the first scheduled appt for the day. I filled out the application at a computer kiosk which included 16 questions, got digitally printed, had my photo taken, then paid.

I was out the door in under 30mins. There was a line of people (mostly young women) that were waiting out the front door and into the parking lot.

I applied 5/27/2014 and was approved today (37 days total).

It was $105 and my CC was charged 2 days after my appointment.

FL has their shit together.

breimer273

Jul 25, 2013
    SOMD
    I should be getting mine soon then too. I did the paper alternative but it was process a week or so after yours. Here's to hoping!

Congrats!

wrc

unexpected T_STRING in
    May 31, 2012
    AACO
    Thanatron did it at a kiosk computer in Florida, presumably here:

Punta Gorda Regional Office
    8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (EST)
    Bob Griffith, Supervisor
    230 Bal Harbor Boulevard
    Suite 111
    Punta Gorda, Florida 33950
    Phone: (941) 575-5770
    Fax: (941) 575-5775
    griffir@doacs.state.fl.us

You *can* change your address with the FL Dept. of Ag. online, which is quick and easy.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Thanatron did it at a kiosk computer in Florida, presumably here:

You *can* change your address with the FL Dept. of Ag. online, which is quick and easy.

Could you change it to your Florida hotel room address while on vacation and forget to change it back until 7 years later at renewal time thereby having a FL resident permit? :sarcasm:

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    Except in FL and MD. FL will only accept UT resident licenses, not non-resident licenses.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/utah.pdf

Yes, that's why I said it's "almost pretty much" a national carry permit.

A bunch of states - MD, NJ, NY, CT, MA, RI, CA, OR, IL only accept their own permits. Most (but not all) of the others will accept the UT permit, even for nonresidents. So UT will cover you for most states.

With FL and UT and a permit from your own state you are pretty much covered in most places.

wrc

unexpected T_STRING in
    May 31, 2012
    AACO
    Could you change it to your Florida hotel room address while on vacation and forget to change it back until 7 years later at renewal time thereby having a FL resident permit? :sarcasm:

:sarcasm: aside, still an interesting point! The Florida concealed weapons permit no longer has your address on it. Anyone checking it would need your driver's license or some other ID that establishes residency to determine if it is a FL resident or non-resident permit.

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    Several states, including Florida and South Carolina, while recognizing the permits of other states, DO NOT accept non-resident permits for those states.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    Several states, including Florida and South Carolina, while recognizing the permits of other states, DO NOT accept non-resident permits for those states.

SC is stuck in the past. We should ask them to honor all permits from all states. They don't even honor permits from neighboring Georgia.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    SC is stuck in the past. We should ask them to honor all permits from all states. They don't even honor permits from neighboring Georgia.

Quite true. About half the country's state residents are blocked from carrying at all in SC. Can't believe they haven't been sued yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom