• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tmd99

Aug 22, 2015
    Frederick
    OK. Bead sight on mossberg pump 18 1/2" is putting me 6-7 inches high with slugs at 25 yards with my eye as low as possible (too low as i get recoil of shotgun in my face - no rear bead) with barely being able to view bead sight i am so low. Windage is fine. I know shotguns are not precision rifles but 7 inches at 25 yards is a little too much for me. I would like to bring POI down without aiming 7 inches below target. Someone i know measured rifle, sight, distance and figured out cosigns and all that crap and came up with that i currently have bead that is 3/16" height above barrel but need a bead that is 3/8" (or double the height i have) to hit center mass. None of the beads advertised have the measurements so my question is, what product could work or what washer or shim could work to bring my POI down to close to POA. Any experience would be appreciated. thread is 5-40 on the bead (i believe for mossberg). Just looking for answers i can't find with google or searching other threads. Thank you in advance.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    I know of no options for a taller bead but if you talk to a machinist you kay be able to have one made custom.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Aim lower

Honestly, yeah. If you are using shot, shifting your point of aim a fraction lower is the way to go. If you are suing slugs for deer/hogs or turkey hunting you should really be using something like rifle sights, a red dot or ghost ring bolt on sights (to the rib, though with a gun that short, probably no rib).

You long with shot, you aim with slugs and for aiming you need real sights. My 20ga has just a bear and I can hit within 6 inches at 25yds, but that is about it. My 12ga has raised front fiber optic and a rear ghost ring and I can put a slug within 2 inches at 50ydsa d frankly it works well with shot for me too (I am not much of a shotgunner).

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    Try using the top of the bead as your point of aim, using the center of bead for point of aim will probably put you dead on at !00 yards.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Aim lower.

It is possable to shoot surprisingly small groups with bead only. The bad news is if the poi is too far off, there is no way to adjust it.

Option #1- Try different weights and velocities of slug, to see if one is sufficiently closer to poa.

Option#2- Smoothbore Mossberg slug bbls are relatively inexpensive.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Aim lower.

It is possable to shoot surprisingly small groups with bead only. The bad news is if the poi is too far off, there is no way to adjust it.

Option #1- Try different weights and velocities of slug, to see if one is sufficiently closer to poa.

Yeah, the little bit I have shot with slugs, I have my ghost ring sights set about as low as they will go and I am dead on at 50yds and 3" low at 100 with federal truball. Switching to Remington sluggers of similar weight and velocity and those are 3" high at 50yds and 2" to the right. High velocity sluggers are 2" high and 2" left. Go figure. More variation between brands than I see with 22lr

tmd99

Aug 22, 2015
    Frederick

Stevie Boy

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Naples, FL and Ocean Pines, MD
    Aim lower.

Or, a rifled slug barrel which is also relatively inexpensive. They use Sabots though which are generally more accurate and good for longer ranges.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mossberg-Mo...led-Barrel-Ported-3-inch-Shells-/371566011959

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Believed they make sights that you can put on the barrel rib..

Or just put a red dot on it if you have scope mounting holes.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    "Non-AR question?" WHHHAAAAT!?! How tha? Who said you could...wait...MODS! Is he allowed to do that?!?:D

+1 on different ammo. In my experience that alone can shift POI several inches. You might see where it is hitting at 50 and just learn to live with it. Aiming low is much more tolerable than aiming high...at least you can see your target.
    My newest go to smoothbore slug barrel prints about a foot low at 50 with Rem slugs (which, of course, is the brand I stockpiled). If I recall, either Win or Brenneke slugs were about half as low to "good enough."

Is your intent hunting, defending, or playing?

tmd99

Aug 22, 2015
    Frederick
    Just want to keep it bare bones

"Non-AR question?" WHHHAAAAT!?! How tha? Who said you could...wait...MODS! Is he allowed to do that?!?:D

+1 on different ammo. In my experience that alone can shift POI several inches. You might see where it is hitting at 50 and just learn to live with it. Aiming low is much more tolerable than aiming high...at least you can see your target.
    My newest go to smoothbore slug barrel prints about a foot low at 50 with Rem slugs (which, of course, is the brand I stockpiled). If I recall, either Win or Brenneke slugs were about half as low to "good enough."

Is your intent hunting, defending, or playing?

Good suggestions on all above posts. gonna try some different ammo and for 25 bucks may try one the other bead replacements to bring up poi a little. Would like POA/POI a little closer. Can live with some variance but would like it a little closer. Have a 28" barrel that hits where i want, just tweaking the smaller one a little bit. Gonna keep it bare bones without red dots or other optics. I'm surprised that they do not have a few different size bead sights for some of the more popular shotguns out there. Will report back in a few weeks a let you know how it works. Thanks again.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yup, fully rifled is good. My Marlin 512 will put rounds touching at 50yd.

But fully rifled makes it dedicated to only slugs, and versatility to also use buckshot, or regular birdshot can be a desirable thing.

The OP was discussing slugs at 25yd, this is well within the capabilities of smoothbore. If I wasn't mindreading properly, and what the OP really wants is 100yd plus dedicated deer gun, by all means go fully rifled , and don't look back.

Stevie Boy

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Naples, FL and Ocean Pines, MD
    Yup, fully rifled is good. My Marlin 512 will put rounds touching at 50yd.

But fully rifled makes it dedicated to only slugs, and versatility to also use buckshot, or regular birdshot can be a desirable thing.

The OP was discussing slugs at 25yd, this is well within the capabilities of smoothbore. If I wasn't mindreading properly, and what the OP really wants is 100yd plus dedicated deer gun, by all means go fully rifled , and don't look back.

Agreed. Sounded like he was open to spending some money and a barrel change is quick and easy (in my book). It's a personal preference thing, I swap in the rifled barrel for hunting season then back to the HD barrel the rest of the year. Just another option to consider. The other ideas are all good too.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Slugs always hit higher than shot, also a big difference in poi between various loads as others mentioned. A bead will work, but you have to learn to "hold under" with a 6:00 hold. Most field guns will hit with shot when the bead is just under a close target and placed over a further target, full power slugs will hit when the bead is level with the bottom edge of a 12" target at 25-50ish yards and level with the center of a target at 100. It's primarily a handgun/shotgun technique due to the slow arc trajectory. Now you can sight it in with rifle sights or a scope for a given range, but still have to learn hold under/over for ranges outside of the distance you sighted it in at. Going to a managed recoil slug will hit lower, using a taller bead will probably cover the target outside if whatever range it is sighted in at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom