No Pole: Two AR's, What Does MDS Recommend For Optics.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Glass quality is not in the specs. How clear and the distortions in the glass. not in the specs.
    Don't know what you call it "eye relief sensitivity" how much distance from eye to back of scope and you still see the entire circle. that's not in specs.
    Ruggedness and repeatability of the glass, not in specs. That's does the glass move shot after shot throwing your POI off? cheap glass will do that.

My rule of thumb is 50%-75% of price of the upper is the sweet spot/bang for the buck. There are people that will spend less and people that will spend more. You don't need a high $ scope though for an upper and your ammo that can only do 2 MOA. a 4x scope with forgiving eye relief can do the trick IMO.

I have a variety of uppers ranging from a good quality target barrel with a $250 scope that shoots <1MOA from the bench with reloads, Red dot on a 2MOA gun and peep sights on a 2MOA gun. I shoot the peeps most often cause I'm shooting offhand at 100 yards onto big 12" steel plates. I just count any miss.

Everyone is different but I can say this after learning the hard way first. cheap glass can frustrate you and limit your gun below its ability.

enjoy.

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Glass quality is not in the specs. How clear and the distortions in the glass. not in the specs.
    Don't know what you call it "eye relief sensitivity" how much distance from eye to back of scope and you still see the entire circle. that's not in specs.
    Ruggedness and repeatability of the glass, not in specs. That's does the glass move shot after shot throwing your POI off? cheap glass will do that.

My rule of thumb is 50%-75% of price of the upper is the sweet spot/bang for the buck. There are people that will spend less and people that will spend more. You don't need a high $ scope though for an upper and your ammo that can only do 2 MOA. a 4x scope with forgiving eye relief can do the trick IMO.

I have a variety of uppers ranging from a good quality target barrel with a $250 scope that shoots <1MOA from the bench with reloads, Red dot on a 2MOA gun and peep sights on a 2MOA gun. I shoot the peeps most often cause I'm shooting offhand at 100 yards onto big 12" steel plates. I just count any miss.

Everyone is different but I can say this after learning the hard way first. cheap glass can frustrate you and limit your gun below its ability.

enjoy.
    I recently visited a LGS to look at their C&R's and also checked out their optics. They had a Trijicon Ascent 1-4x24 that I really liked the glass and weight, but no illum.

They also had that I did not look at the glass:
    Vortex PST2 1-6x24 for $600
    Sig 1-8x24 for 500
    Sig 1-10x24 for 700

I did not look at the glass on these 3 as it gives me a reason to return in a few weeks to also look for C&R's. I agree, best to look through the glass first. :D

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    At around 9.6”, under 17oz, Japanese glass and 1-8 magnification, I’d go with the brand new Primary Arms LPVO’s. I have the Votex Viper PST Gen II 1-6, and it’s ok. It’s nothing to get excited about though

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I am going with the Skalarworks mount with the Vortex.

I'll be able to swap out with my green dot

e8499d25f39a46141766571627f21a2d.jpg
    5e3233862be8a55ff305ceb89ce25f15.jpg

Last edited:

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    I am going with the Skalarworks mount with the Vortex.

I'll be able to swap out with my green dot

e8499d25f39a46141766571627f21a2d.jpg
    5e3233862be8a55ff305ceb89ce25f15.jpg
    Interesting.
    I prefer QD mounts and IIRC I have them from Leupold, American Defense, and La Rue; those all work on the lever concept where this one is different. Close enough in price to check it out. :thumbsup:

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Well F me.

I've narrowed it down to the exps2 (no combo) for the pistola, and the NF NX8 1-8 with the FC DMX reticle for the rifle.

I can get both from Sportsmans Warehouse locally; buy, ship to store, check out the visual, and buy if you like, or return if not.

Thing is they (SW) have no QD mounts. Scalarworks does and also has a package deal with the same optic for about $100.00 less than buying their base and the optic from Sportsmans Warehouse. La Rue mounts are about the same price and work with release/clamp levers that I'm familiar with.

Another thing with bases is height; used to be full or 1/3 co witness. now it's like 1.57 or 1.93; which I reckon is about the same thing. IDK.

SW has mounted optics for me before, and you can see them while working. So I may just pay more and let them do it with their torque drivers and such; VS the Scalarworks package.

More shit to consider.

PS, FJB!

photoshooter

Mar 22, 2009
    Pasadena, MD
    LPVO is the trend. Comparing the Vortex Razor GEN III 1-10 FFP vs Vortex Razor 1-6 Second Focal Plane - the 10x FFP is great for longer ranges but really small to see quickly at 1x - where as the 1-6 reticle 2ndFP stays large at at 1x. Illumination helps but only so much. Same is true with other 1-10x FFP scopes like EoTech. just something to consider.

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Well, the optics arrived. :bannana:

The Eotech EXPS-2 was just what I needed for my pistola. Clear reticle for my astigmatism eyes. I have another Eotech (similar to this one) on another platform in MD but that one IIRC appears not as clear as this one; or maybe it's the second dot. IDK. Anyhow I like it.

The NF NX8 1-8 with the FC DMX reticle is very nice. The made in Japan markings on the bottom made me think WTF? But compared to the high end Nightforce stuff at 2x the price, it is what it is; and IDK if anyone can diss Japanese made optics. I really like the reticle set up. I took it out into the hood and the mils work well for ranging. To me the glass is very good as is the illumination; at 1x it's like a red dot and at 8x the circle around the center is illuminated, crisp and clear. My concerns about the Christmas tree markings were unfounded. I can hardly see them at 1x and they are not in the way of a target or background at 8x. For me the reticle really draws my eyes to the center quickly; same as the Eotech.

Getting the scope mounted tomorrow on a Vortex QD cantilever mount. I went with this as it's a duplicate of another mount I have on another platform. I like to keep things redundant.

Pics to follow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom