No Pole: Two AR's, What Does MDS Recommend For Optics.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Optics, and optic sellers, are all over the place from what I recall a few years ago. Hence the post.

The table is set for platforms:
    AR pistol, 556, with a DDMK18 upper weighing in at about 6 pounds with storage device ( :D ) and Magpul BUS.
    PWS MK114 556 rifle weighing in at about 6.6 pounds also with Magpul BUS. I knew it was lite but nice to find it's this lite.
    Optics are needed for the above.
    And my other chit is mils so pass on MOA.

I already have optics on on other AR platforms:
    Eotech XP or EXP (?); I like.
    Bushnell 1x4 LPVO; I like, particularly the reticule.
    Aimpoint H or T 1 (?); I like but my eyes go quicker to the Eotech bigger window, but I like the lighter weight.
    Nightforce SHV 4x14. Very nice.
    On a bolt action:
    Vortex Viper PST 4x16. Very nice.

LVPO is what I'm looking at for the PWS. Red dot or prisim or what have you for the for the pistol.

I've heard about Trijicon and Leupold making some new stuff.
    This optics chit moves, hence the post. I'd rather taste some strange than set up with the same old; as long as everything shooting wise flows the same.

Oh yeah, budget.
    Considering the two combined were about 3K (maybe more, I'd have to check) or so, that's about the top end.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I have a Swampfox Trihawk 3X Prism Sight I am happy with. And for an LPVO, I am EXTREMELY happy with my Vortex Viper PST GEN II 1-6x24 - VMR-2 MOA. The glass is very bright and 6X is more than enough for 200 yards.. I use 4X at 200 yards for 8" steel plate targets.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I’ll second the PST gen2 1-6.

I have the Viper PST gen1 1-4x and it is a fantastic optic. You can still find them used for pretty cheap.

I’ve shot several NRA matches 200yds at AGC, one at Ft Meade out to 600. Best group was at Mayberry with member Yoshi spotting me. Less than 1/2 MOA group at 500yds. The 18” steel plate was just barely larger than the center dot in the scope. To this day I’ve never shot a goup this tight at that range.

The bottom line is the Viper PST 1-4x did it’s job. So I have to imagine the 1-6 is just a little better.

It’s an excellent 1x scope for close range too.

29af61ce742ebed32df67a3abf8391d6.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Razor Gen III refurb is $1750 from AA Optics, and it will do basically as much as you could want it to. Otherwise, Razor Gen IIE.

Buy once, cry once.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    First of all, sick rifles.

I've got a DDV7p which is essentially the Mk18 but with their non-ris mlok handguard. I SBR'd it and run it suppressed. I've experimented with a number of set ups, but for me, the Aimpoint T2 has been the best choice so far. For the use-case of that rig, a simple/reliable dot and a quality weapon light are all it needs. Contrary to popular opinion, I do not feel the need to run BUIS.

For your PWS 16, I second an LPVO. I have a 16 inch rifle built around a criterion HBAR barrel and I have a Nightforce NX8 1-8 that I absolutely love. It's lightweight and the illumination is truly daylight bright. Eyebox is a bit smaller because it's FFP and a 1-8 in a very small package, but it's wholly useable with minimal practice.

I am also a big fan of the Eotech's/ Vortex holographics with a flip up magnifier. I have astigmatism so many red dots just don't work. The T2 looks great to my eyes and so do most holographics. My old Aimpoint PRO and Trijicon MRO looked like crap to my eyes.

Here's my DD 10.3, my DD 14.5 SOCOM and my custom 16 for some ideas. I have other's but these are my true SHTF rigs with quality optics set ups.
    IMG_6231.jpeg

IMG_6232.jpeg

IMG_0007.jpeg

Last edited:

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    First of all, sick rifles.

I've got a DDV7p which is essentially the Mk18 but with their non-ris mlok handguard. I SBR'd it and run it suppressed. I've experimented with a number of set ups, but for me, the Aimpoint T2 has been the best choice so far. For the use-case of that rig, a simple/reliable dot and a quality weapon light are all it needs. Contrary to popular opinion, I do not feel the need to run BUIS.

For your PWS 16, I second an LPVO. I have a 16 inch rifle built around a criterion HBAR barrel and I have a Nightforce NX8 1-8 that I absolutely love. It's lightweight and the illumination is truly daylight bright. Eyebox is a bit smaller because it's FFP and a 1-8 in a very small package, but it's wholly useable with minimal practice.

I am also a big fan of the Eotech's/ Vortex holographics with a flip up magnifier. I have astigmatism so many red dots just don't work. The T2 looks great to my eyes and so do most holographics. My old Aimpoint PRO and Trijicon MRO looked like crap to my eyes.

Here's my DD 10.3, my DD 14.5 SOCOM and my custom 16 for some ideas. I have other's but these are my true SHTF rigs with quality optics set ups.
    View attachment 454204
    View attachment 454205

View attachment 454203
    I have astigmatism also; for my eyes the Aimpoint dot is clear, the Eotech looks like a circle of blobs with a center blob, but it works. I have an Aimpoint on a PWS pistol that works well and I may go with the same for the DD pistol as I reckon it's about the lightest.

LPVO for the PwS MK114 makes sense (older eyes, mag is good for distance) but the rifle is so light, I want to keep it that way. PWS shaved as much off as they could (including lightning cuts on the trigger guard). Most LPVO I've looked at are 20-22 oz. and ACOGs are around there.

Nice pics. I'll try to reciprocate.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I have astigmatism also; for my eyes the Aimpoint dot is clear, the Eotech looks like a circle of blobs with a center blob, but it works. I have an Aimpoint on a PWS pistol that works well and I may go with the same for the DD pistol as I reckon it's about the lightest.

LPVO for the PwS MK114 makes sense (older eyes, mag is good for distance) but the rifle is so light, I want to keep it that way. PWS shaved as much off as they could (including lightning cuts on the trigger guard). Most LPVO I've looked at are 20-22 oz. and ACOGs are around there.

Nightforce NX8 1-8 is 17.6oz. Pretty dang light for what it is. I paired it with the Nightforce Ultramount which is 5.9oz. All together not too bad.

King Chicken

I identify as King/Emperor
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 24, 2022
    Land Full of Marys - MoCo

Thought I'd hate the Primary Arms SLX prisms. Love them especially w my astigmatism. They also feel quite bomb proof. Much better option than any acog because acog eye relief/eye box is a bad joke. Indoors I've always felt acogs were unusable/dangerous.
    Then again if the aim point looks clear, maybe that.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    One of my favorite reasons to attend gun shows is to go hands on, eyes on, optics. There is no substitute for looking through something. For one AR I was considering an ACOG until I looked at/through a Elcan Spectre DR, which took in quite a bit more light than the ACOG. It was something to experience. SOLD.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    Exps2/g33 combo for the Mk18…

Pretty sure this is what I installed and sighted in on my Honey Badger this past weekend. I am a fan of the outcome for the hour I got to play with it in between loading mags for my daughter who was busy blasting away at the paper ducks, pigs, and chickens.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Y'all getting fancy. I have this Holosun AEMS green dot on Skalarworks mount. Used it this weekend at a course.
    36 yard zero. Didn't measure shots, but 3 round groups must have been within 2 inches. Perfectly acceptable.
    The thing was great. Sight was perfect right out of the box.

28b2793ef35dfa749fda402436bbd727.jpg

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Y'all getting fancy. I have this Holosun AEMS green dot on Skalarworks mount. Used it this weekend at a course.
    36 yard zero. Didn't measure shots, but 3 round groups must have been within 2 inches. Perfectly acceptable.
    The thing was great. Sight was perfect right out of the box.

28b2793ef35dfa749fda402436bbd727.jpg
    That looks like a LWRC, maybe SPR. I have one; along with a Tricon.
    Nothing personal, but I'm looking for tighter/farther; that optic looks too high for me.
    Glad it works for you.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    That looks like a LWRC, maybe SPR. I have one; along with a Tricon.
    Nothing personal, but I'm looking for tighter/farther; that optic looks too high for me.
    Glad it works for you.
    Yeah it's the DI IC.
    I do the ease of presentation for self defense. I have no need for long distance shooting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom