• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I think thermal is superior to conventional IR NV for spotting living targets.

IR NV is superior for navigating terrain/wood in the dark.

I’d consider a clip on thermal. One that can do double duty as spotting scope/weapon scope, and get a decent IR monocular, Gen 2 at least…for getting around.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Like the others have said, thermal scanner, and NV scope. Thermal can pick up animals so much faster. NV is clearer and you can confirm what your target is.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I think thermal is superior to conventional IR NV for spotting living targets.

I’d consider a clip on thermal. One that can do double duty as spotting scope/weapon scope, and get a decent IR monocular, Gen 2 at least…for getting around.

@teratos : Do you have the one you link?

Does this install on a rail behind regular optics?
    TIA!

Last edited:

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    How far can NV make a positive ID. I have a ATN and even with an upgraded infrared it seems passed a 100 to 150 it’s not that great. My thermal is very good at IDing but it was pricey.
    After trying a couple different night setups I’ve settled on thermal scope and a thermal scanning monocular.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    @teratos : Do you have the one you link?

Does this install on a rail behind regular optics?
    TIA!
    Here’s another link from their site. It shows it mounting in front of your scope. I don’t have one. I just got a Pulsar Monocular, my thermal sight is a Super Hogster R. It’s on my .300 BLK. I gotta dial it in with supers and subs.
    IMG_8329.jpeg

How far can NV make a positive ID. I have a ATN and even with an upgraded infrared it seems passed a 100 to 150 it’s not that great. My thermal is very good at IDing but it was pricey.
    After trying a couple different night setups I’ve settled on thermal scope and a thermal scanning monocular.
    I’d definitely stick with thermal for scanning for warm-blooded targets. I have a big IR flashlight. 200-250 yards with good IR. I have a good Gen 3 WP tube in a PVS-14. There is no shame in wearing a bump helmet if you are using it to mount your NV. IR lasers are pretty neat, too.

Last edited:

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    I will also add that instead of the handheld thermal monocular I got, I should have gotten a clip on thermal.
    Curious why you’d rather have a clip on. I would think that would add up to more weight that just a thermal scope.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Curious why you’d rather have a clip on. I would think that would add up to more weight that just a thermal scope.
    You can use it for scanning and switch among rifles.

I do like my Pulsar XQ35 PRO. It’s a good monocular and fun to play with. It can’t be mounted on a firearm.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Thermals are getting better and better at ID at longer ranges. I was blown away at the difference between my old pulsar with its 256 sensor and my agm with its 384. I've had the chance to look through a pulsar with 640 and it's pretty crazy the detail and clarity it gets. 1280 is out now I can't imagine what that must be like. The higher end sensors are $$$$ but as tech improves prices come down.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Does your monocular have a range finder?
    Yes. I got the one with the range finder.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter

It’s good to have a sugar momma!!

Nice kit.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD

Nice!
    When I got my monocular I don’t think it had that option but my thermal scopes have always have RF. It never ceases to amaze me how bad my range guesstimates are at night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom