• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HaveBlue

HaveBlue
    Dec 4, 2014
    Virginia
    Agree that it's not the approach to take. NFA-34 can be challenged, but it's going to take a piecemeal approach.

I just filled out several 5320.20 forms to let the ATF I may temporarily relocate an SBR to any of 4 other states.

I would be curious to see where the historiCal analog is for that silly requirement? Seems like easy pickings to chip away at the NFA.

Despite flying with them many times, no one has ever asked to see my ATF paperwork.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I just filled out several 5320.20 forms to let the ATF I may temporarily relocate an SBR to any of 4 other states.

I would be curious to see where the historiCal analog is for that silly requirement? Seems like easy pickings to chip away at the NFA.

Despite flying with them many times, no one has ever asked to see my ATF paperwork.

It’s used to prove you paid the tax.

Nothing more

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008

Agree 100%.

MrNiceGuy

Dec 9, 2013
    Agree that it's not the approach to take. NFA-34 can be challenged, but it's going to take a piecemeal approach.

While I agree that going after NFA/GCA with shoddy arguments will reduce the chances we get a favorable outcome, I disagree that you must take a piecemeal approach. NFA/GCA/FOPA have all been unconstitutional since the instant of their passing into law. This means decades of deprivation of constitutional rights. SCOTUS even recognized this in Miller (1939) which was decided on the notion that sawed-off shotguns have no valid application in an active combat/warzone situation, and therefore are not at the core of the Second Amendment.

What Bruen (2021) does is expand it further to say that - core or not - the Second Amendment is a critical piece of our constitutional republic and therefore any implication of the right protected in 2A must be truly extraordinary and grounded in the nation's history. As Miller (1939) effectively admits, certain firearms are even more intrinsically linked to the core reasoning behind the 2A and those are precisely the firearms heavily restricted/banned under NFA/GCA/FOPA.

Toss out the registry, toss out the tax stamps (cannot tax constitutional rights per Virginia State Board of Elections, 383 U.S. 663 (1966)), toss out registration, and toss out all the rest of it. We've spent a century ceding ground in every single case where gun rights were in question. This is our time now. Annihilate NFA/GCA/FOPA while we have the chance. Alan Gura should be the one arguing all these cases before the SCOTUS and we should be making him a millionaire 100 times over for his troubles.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    While I agree that going after NFA/GCA with shoddy arguments will reduce the chances we get a favorable outcome, I disagree that you must take a piecemeal approach. NFA/GCA/FOPA have all been unconstitutional since the instant of their passing into law. This means decades of deprivation of constitutional rights. SCOTUS even recognized this in Miller (1939) which was decided on the notion that sawed-off shotguns have no valid application in an active combat/warzone situation, and therefore are not at the core of the Second Amendment.

What Bruen (2021) does is expand it further to say that - core or not - the Second Amendment is a critical piece of our constitutional republic and therefore any implication of the right protected in 2A must be truly extraordinary and grounded in the nation's history. As Miller (1939) effectively admits, certain firearms are even more intrinsically linked to the core reasoning behind the 2A and those are precisely the firearms heavily restricted/banned under NFA/GCA/FOPA.

Toss out the registry, toss out the tax stamps (cannot tax constitutional rights per Virginia State Board of Elections, 383 U.S. 663 (1966)), toss out registration, and toss out all the rest of it. We've spent a century ceding ground in every single case where gun rights were in question. This is our time now. Annihilate NFA/GCA/FOPA while we have the chance. Alan Gura should be the one arguing all these cases before the SCOTUS and we should be making him a millionaire 100 times over for his troubles.
    So....no more Mr. Nice Guy?

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Co-Counsel for Hoover, Matt Larosiere, was on Nick Rekeita's YouTube stream the other night. Talks about this case, Bruen, and a bunch of other good stuff. His intro's the best.

He points out that the NFA has never meaningfully been challenged on constitutional grounds. Miller also isn't as unhelpful as many think it is.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    He points out that the NFA has never meaningfully been challenged on constitutional grounds. Miller also isn't as unhelpful as many think it is.
    I've always felt Miller is a diamond in the rough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom