• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Weber

USMC
    Oct 12, 2009
    Elkton, MD
    I picked up my first score of wheel weights today. Almost 100lbs.

0DB90503-0E1C-40D7-8D14-6089D27F31EF_zpswuqsxp4s.jpg

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Absolutely a waste of time!

GFY....

:D

(PS: Make sure each WW has 3% antimony because it doesn't evaporate...:rolleyes:)

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    have fun, I always do. just try and be as safe as possible. wear safety glasses, gloves and a long sleeve shirt.

also try and sort the "shiny" zinc ones and any others that look odd.

just my 2 cents

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    I already see non lead alloy weights in that bucket, but you do have a bunch of lead ones!

Make sure to sort them out, before you melt them!

Only a Lead Whore / Hoarder would pay that much attention to a picture.
    The word coming down to the flatands is that you have accumulated 3% if the surplus
    lead in the state of Md. Be careful the State of Md has set up a clandestine lead reclamation unit and will come seize your excessive supply and redistribute it to all the needy bullet casters that can't go out and find there own.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Only a Lead Whore / Hoarder would pay that much attention to a picture.
    The word coming down to the flatands is that you have accumulated 3% if the surplus
    lead in the state of Md. Be careful the State of Md has set up a clandestine lead reclamation unit and will come seize your excessive supply and redistribute it to all the needy bullet casters that can't go out and find there own.

Like Popeye says .. "I am what I am" :D

Cowboy T

If you have a thermometer and are careful to keep the temperature below 650 deg F (preferably 600, I've discovered), you don't have to sort the wheel weights beforehand. The steel ones won't melt below around 2,500 deg. F. As for the zinc ones, zinc's melting point is 787 deg. F. So, as long as you stay well below that, you're fine.

I find 600 deg. F. to be optimal for a few reasons.

1.) It's hot enough to melt the "good" wheel weights without cooling down during the ladling process. Lead alloy at 600 deg. flows very well.

2.) It's not so hot that you get the yellow and purple haze on the top. That's oxidation, and while it isn't a huge deal, why not avoid it if you can?

3.) It's far enough below zinc's melting point that the zinc weights'll just float to the top, along with the steel ones, where you can just spoon 'em out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom