• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wgttgw

Apr 10, 2011
    Cambridge
    In my opinion it is a very good kit for the money. I still use the press that came in my similar kit. I would get the similar kit that primes with the auto prime done off the press. They are nearly the same money. I think it is called breach lock challenger kit.

You will need at least one good manual. I would recommend the lee. The only down side of the lee manual is it covers only Lee equipment (not such a big deal if your using Lee equipment) and does a lot of bragging on themselves. The data is copied from other sources not tested by Lee.

Visit the powder manufactures and request copies of there free manuals.

If you buy the Lee kit other than dies, you will need the Lee case length gauge for each caliber you load (use to trim your brass). They work with the case cutter and holder which comes in the kit.

The Lee powder scale that comes with the kit will do the job but it will be the first thing you are likely to upgrade.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I would recommend this one from RCBS, it also comes with a manual from Speer(?).

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/prod...+Products&WTz_l=YMAL;IK-216577#tabsCollection

Bass Pro has this kit on sale for $288 right now

Personally, just starting out, I would get the RCBS 'kit'.
    My RockChucker was purchased in 1979 and it still works like a new one!!!

I won't even begin to guess how many thousands of rounds I've produced on this press!!!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Lee kit is fine. People knock Lee, but the products work, are inexpensive, and Lee stands behind them.

I have a number of various Lee products and use them often.

rwbow1969

Get Wiffit
    Dec 10, 2011
    Clearspring

Attachments

• ABC.jpg
      ABC.jpg
      28.6 KB · Views: 156

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    The first thing I would ask you is what do you plan to load and how many rounds a year do you plan to shoot? If you are loading rifle only and only shoot several times a year...that is a great kit. If you want to shoot more than 2000 rounds a year, usually pistol shooters, you should go with a Dillon 550. More than 10 thousand rounds a year, a Dillon 650. Yes, I think starting out on a Dillon 550 instead of a single stage is fine for a beginner...This is my opinion and some will disagree with me. Everything that you learn will apply to a progressive press, and it is so much easier to load ammo with. Learning how to reload isn't hard.

In case you haven't thought about...think about what you could buy with about 3 thousand dollars.

1. About 10k rounds of factory pistol ammo
    2. A full blown everything you need Dillon 550 manual progressive reloading press setup and enough supplies to load 20 thousand rounds.

After you reload about 10 thousand rounds of pistol and much less for rifle on a Dillon 550 you break even and your cost per round goes down and you will be able to crank out about 400 rounds and hour.

in the end, you will not save any money reloading...you will just shoot a lot more.

By the way, I started with that same Lee kit, but it got old fast when I needed large quantities of ammo. Now I have a 550 and 650 press, and gave away the single stage kit for almost nothing. The Dillons hold their value and for good reason.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I'm a user of RCBS equipment. I purchased a used Rock Chucker combo back in the mid-80's and still use it today. That said, I also have a Lee progressive 1000. Got it super cheap from a friend years ago. It's a bit finicky but produces good ammo and fairly quickly for handgun and .223. For 20 ga shotshells, I have a Lee shotshell loader. Cheaply made compared to my MEC loaders, but I don't load a lot for 20 ga and it works fine. I also use Lee dies with my rock chucker as well as the Progressive 1000. You need the charge through die that comes with Lee for the Progressive 1000 but they are readily usable with RCBS presses as well. For books, you can't beat the Lyman Reloader Guide. It has generic loads for various bullet types including Lyman cast bullets. The same data for the Lyman cast bullets works well for any similar lead bullets. Same with Jacketed bullets. Just choose the generic bullet that's basically the same as the one you load and start at the beginning loads and you'll be fine. In short, if you are going to be loading hundreds or thousands of rounds at a time...especially if you're doing it often, a really good progressive like a Dillon would be worth the investment especially since some models can be used as a single stage loader. But they are expensive. RCBS Rock Chucker is less expensive, but is probably best for loading 20 - 200 or so rounds at at time as it, like the Lee you are looking at is a single stage. If you're only loading a couple hundred rounds at a time now and then, I suspect the Lee equipment would be all you need. I do, however, think most people who use Lee equipment prefer the turret press kit. When you start getting to that price point, you're closing the gap on RCBS equipment which is definitely made better, IMHO.

Lunchbox

Nov 8, 2007
    AA Co.
    I just started recently with that RCBS kit... its great... and a side note, it does come with the hand primer, but there is also a priming arm on the press too. They give you options! :thumbsup:

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If shooting only 2K rounds per year, I would save my money and stick with a single stage setup. Otherwise you are spending a lot of money (for good equipment) that will finish your year's loading in about 3 hours. :)

Single stage is not that slow if done batch wise.

Even weighing every charge, I loaded up 500 rounds of .308 over a week, working less than an hour each evening.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    If shooting only 2K rounds per year, I would save my money and stick with a single stage setup. Otherwise you are spending a lot of money (for good equipment) that will finish your year's loading in about 3 hours. :)

Single stage is not that slow if done batch wise.

Even weighing every charge, I loaded up 500 rounds of .308 over a week, working less than an hour each evening.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom