• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blubill

Jul 21, 2023
    Martinsburg
    Hello all, New to the site and looking for information. Just started trap shooting again after 20 years away. Went with a friend who just wanted to try shooting "birds". No problem right, unfortunately I underestimated my love for shooting trap. Now I have the bug to start shooting regularly again but I sold everything when I quit. Looking for another trap gun. Something relatively inexpensive since I will just be shooting "socially" not competitively . Any shops shooters would recommend for starting my search? Especially interested in the Frederick area. Been looking around home and cannot find anything. Recommendations on places try?
    Thanks for any help!

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Hello all, New to the site and looking for information. Just started trap shooting again after 20 years away. Went with a friend who just wanted to try shooting "birds". No problem right, unfortunately I underestimated my love for shooting trap. Now I have the bug to start shooting regularly again but I sold everything when I quit. Looking for another trap gun. Something relatively inexpensive since I will just be shooting "socially" not competitively . Any shops shooters would recommend for starting my search? Especially interested in the Frederick area. Been looking around home and cannot find anything. Recommendations on places try?
    Thanks for any help!
    Welcome aboard from Washington County! If you're in the Frederick area, it may be worth a trip out to Hafer's. They always seem to have a good variety of shotguns on hand at both of their locations. I've seen their "shotgun guy" at the MD location more frequently than WV.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Welcome !

Define Expensive/ Not .
    Elaborate to what extent a dedicated specific Trap Gun vs all around shotgun , that is also reasonably adaquate for recreational Trap .

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Hafers used rack is worth a look. I have had good luck with the gun shack in mt airy. Tim and Susie there do consignments as well as new sales so I tend to check their consignment rack first. Picked up a couple of excellent rifles that way.

Down your way, valley guns can get a good variety of new stuff.

Further afield, check out an auction or two at Reddings in PA. They publish their sale lists in advance. I'm not a shotgun guy but a friend who is has scored a couple of his montefeltros and at least one of his caesar guerinis there.

blubill

Jul 21, 2023
    Martinsburg
    Thanks for the "get back"! As to ?'s been to all the shops mentioned other than the ones mentioned around Fredrick and in PA. As to " relatively inexpensive ",I guess that is entirely a personal decision but for me I don't/ won't spend more than $1300! Not looking to get back into competitive shooting just want to beat my buddies and I don't think I want to push my field gun with a lot of rounds. Really want a single shot, won't be shooting double. Been looking at the CZ'S and TriStars but no one has one I can look at and hold. Kinda important to me to see before I buy. Exception would be a BT99. Shot one for years before I quit shooting competition when my girls were born. Again thanks for the input/questions!

Bill

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Thanks for the "get back"! As to ?'s been to all the shops mentioned other than the ones mentioned around Fredrick and in PA. As to " relatively inexpensive ",I guess that is entirely a personal decision but for me I don't/ won't spend more than $1300! Not looking to get back into competitive shooting just want to beat my buddies and I don't think I want to push my field gun with a lot of rounds. Really want a single shot, won't be shooting double. Been looking at the CZ'S and TriStars but no one has one I can look at and hold. Kinda important to me to see before I buy. Exception would be a BT99. Shot one for years before I quit shooting competition when my girls were born. Again thanks for the input/questions!

Bill
    Look at some of the PA sporting shops and the redding auctions. I've seen bt99s with some regularity.

blubill

Jul 21, 2023
    Martinsburg
    Look at some of the PA sporting shops and the redding auctions. I've seen bt99s with some regularity.
    Looked at the redding site. They have some interesting possibilities but most would look to be outside my price range. Going to keep an eye on things and see how prices go. In the past prices fell a little as the weather got colder. It maybe that I have to wait a while. Time will tell. I appreciate your input!

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    Based on your criteria and your past experience, hard to beat a BT99. I had one with an adjustable comb and added an adjustable but plate and it was great.

I decided as a casual shooter, I wanted to be able to show up and shoot any of the games. Went with a Browning 725 sporting that was great too.

Now when the urge to shoot clays strikes, I use a Remington 1100 sporting. Great gun. You would have to look used but they made trap versions as well. A good old 870 or Winchester pump action trap gun are other options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom