Newbie has questions about transporting...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Ammo only has to be outside the gun; magazines can be loaded providing they are outside the firearm. AR 10's are not treated any different from other long guns in MD. There is no law requiring any long gun to be cased for transport in MD. Long guns may be transported anytime and except for Baltimore City, anywhere in MD.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The separation of ammo is a Federal transport law.

It has no bearing on trips that start and stop in MD

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    So does it have to be in a locked case in the truck, ammo seperate? Also do I need a good reason for having it in my vehicle (like going to and from the range) or can I just have it in there as a “truck gun”?
    I know I’m a bit late to this thread but I’m just a curious newbie, and would kindly ask that you elaborate a bit.
    You can have it in your lap if you want just to drive around. The only restriction is it cannot be loaded in or on a motor vehicle. Long guns are restricted from the same places handgun carry is (the later must be with permit). So you cannot generally have a long gun in a park ir state forest unless hunting. You cannot have them in government buildings. Etc.

Unloaded in trunk with ammunition separate is a requirement of federal FOPA for transport through states where the firearm may be restricted or banned or having it may be banned.

I would not just leave any gun in my vehicle. Certainly not all the time. An exception if it can be actually secured with a cable lock secured to part of the frame or seat of some sort so a snatch and grab can’t take it

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    This thread, like the many exact same ones, will go on forever.....then the same questions will be asked by another noob

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    It is what it is

As long as I’m not in a crabby mood, I try to help the noobs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    So does the ammo have to be separate? and what if I have an ar10 with a detachable mag? Does it then have to be in a case?
    Also do i still need a reason for it being in my vehicle?

Note ! This post discusses Maryland State Laws . Federal Law for *Interstate * transport under FOPA differs , and three local jurisdictions in Maryland have local ordinances that predate State Preemption .

1. No
    2. Detatchable magizine may be loaded . and may be in proximity to gun ( including same case , if using case ) . But may NOT be inserted into gun .
    3. While you may well choose to use a case to protect your rifle or shotgun , it is NOT required under State Laaw .

4. No

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    So does the ammo have to be separate? and what if I have an ar10 with a detachable mag? Does it then have to be in a case?
    Also do i still need a reason for it being in my vehicle?
    Again, the answer to all of those is NO.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    It is what it is

As long as I’m not in a crabby mood, I try to help the noobs

This. Everyone starts somewhere. Better to educate people properly than to run them off with bad/no information. Then they might get their info from places like Worth A Sh*t.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    And if all you have to say is this gets asked every time then think what your retort is.

Pot meet kettle

crtjebstuart

Oct 3, 2022
    Hagerstown
    SEPERATED/NOT SEPERATED, UNLOADED, WITH IN ARMS REACH, LOCKED AWAY, IN THE TRUNK, ETC.... SOMETIMES THESE ACTIONS ARE UP FOR INTERPRETATION. BY EACH OFFICER/DEPUTY/TROOPER, THEIR AGENCY, AND COUNTY YOUR IN. LEGALLY WHAT THEY CHOICE TO DO COULD BE IN GOOD FAITH AND FOR THE GENERAL PUBLICS BEST INTEREST, BUT AT YOUR EXPENSE. MEAN WHILE YOU SPENT A FEW HOURS IN JAIL JUST TO HAVE YOUR CASE DROPPED 3 MONTHS FROM NOW. IF YOUR DOING THE RIGHT THING. YOU SHOULD BE FINE.

Pariah

Sep 6, 2022
    Ellicott City, Md
    As a noob to new Maryland (Haven't been here since the 80's) I do appreciate when an old topic like this comes up. Most things I search for have been discussed ad nauseam so I get why the old vets get annoyed. But there are quite a few times where I hadn't thought to ask the question and an old post gets bumped from the grave and fills in the blanks, or at least prompts me to go ask the right question.

This. Everyone starts somewhere. Better to educate people properly than to run them off with bad/no information. Then they might get their info from places like Worth A Sh*t.

and what he said ^

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    SEPERATED/NOT SEPERATED, UNLOADED, WITH IN ARMS REACH, LOCKED AWAY, IN THE TRUNK, ETC.... SOMETIMES THESE ACTIONS ARE UP FOR INTERPRETATION. BY EACH OFFICER/DEPUTY/TROOPER, THEIR AGENCY, AND COUNTY YOUR IN. LEGALLY WHAT THEY CHOICE TO DO COULD BE IN GOOD FAITH AND FOR THE GENERAL PUBLICS BEST INTEREST, BUT AT YOUR EXPENSE. MEAN WHILE YOU SPENT A FEW HOURS IN JAIL JUST TO HAVE YOUR CASE DROPPED 3 MONTHS FROM NOW. IF YOUR DOING THE RIGHT THING. YOU SHOULD BE FINE.

No 1 stop yelling. All caps is yelling
    No 2 the rest of your post is Bravo Sierra

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I don't know what is boy sam ? But your post #95 is significantly astray .

You seem to be inadvertently cross juxtaposing aspects of State Law , and Federal Law potentially applying to certain INTERstate travel .

Not to toot my own horn , but I recently started a thread going over these and other Transport related issues , as I do every couple of years . I'd link it , but I am feeling particularly illiterate and Luddite today .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom