Newbie has questions about transporting...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Didn't say De was a better place to *move* . I was providing gun friendllyier Beach Resorts similar distance , and similar experience to Ocean City , Md .

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    I thought being a DC allowed you to also take all or part of your collection someplace to "show" it.

No . Being a * Bona Fide Collector* may transport collection for public or private exhibition .

Of course Bona Fide is not defined .

Nope, there are several threads on the subject of the designated collectors letter and one of them contains a reply from MSP stating that it does not provide collector status.

Good to know

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    This dust up recurrs every month or two . A large measure is different people are participating different conversations of the * Five Different Conversations * interchangeably.

Maryland actual Statute refers to " to & from " without further definition .

So far no actual case law in this regard .

Heck , I could suggest looking to Federal Law on the topic , and that would be far from the worst suggestion.But still speculation . I could give my speculations of wise & prudent practices .

I get it about " whatever is not specifically illegal , is therefore legal ". But even IANL , I can see enough ambiguity in "to & from " that I would not recomend carte blanche in aggresively seeking the limits thereof for the heck of it .

But none of will KNOW until a ruling from a Maryland Circuit Court.

I thought there was an AG interpretation on this. That stopping for normal activities, along a basically normal route to/from was acceptable.

So no, going from GB range to HarCo home, with lunch in Frederick would be not good. But stopping in White Marsh area for lunch would be OK.

But it may be my senior mind. :D

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I thought there was an AG interpretation on this. That stopping for normal activities, along a basically normal route to/from was acceptable.

So no, going from GB range to HarCo home, with lunch in Frederick would be not good. But stopping in White Marsh area for lunch would be OK.

But it may be my senior mind. :D

I am not aware of one.

There is a letter on mag purchases out of state being okay if you are physically out of state too.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Yes, you need a PA permit to have loaded magazines in PA. I found out kinda by accident...after years of doing it wrong...Shhhhhh.

Edit: Now seeing Swinokur's post I'm corrected on at least having a permit that PA recognizes.

Maybe stupid question and I’ll probably never need to know, but is that magazines that are accessible? Or magazines loaded in a vehicle (even in a trunk) are a no-no. Would that include speed loaders for a revolver?

Or Garand clips? Yes, I know the difference between a clip and a mag, but does the law?

johnkorz

Feb 25, 2013
    Savage
    In Maryland your firearm can only be transported while on your way to the range, gun smith, gun shop, etc. The ammo and firearm must be separate from each other. If you have a trunk the firearms belong in the trunk and ammo in the seating area of the car. If you have a van or SUV or any vehicle that does not have a trunk I would place them in lockable separate boxes and keep them as far away from each other as possible. If I recall correctly magazine must be unloaded. Hope this helps JFK

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    It doesn't help

In Maryland your firearm can only be transported while on your way to the range, gun smith, gun shop, etc. The ammo and firearm must be separate from each other. If you have a trunk the firearms belong in the trunk and ammo in the seating area of the car. If you have a van or SUV or any vehicle that does not have a trunk I would place them in lockable separate boxes and keep them as far away from each other as possible. If I recall correctly magazine must be unloaded. Hope this helps JFK

AG ruling says magazines may be loaded providing they are not in the firearm.

Ammo and firearms do not need to be in separate compartments according to any law at the state or federal level.

If you don't know, you should not give advice esp on MD firearms law

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Also, the limited destinations apply only to HANDGUNS.

You may legally keep an unloaded rifle or shotgun - even an AR 15- in your vehicle full time, except in a few grandfathered municipalities such as Baltimore. I'm sure Swinokur has the list.

If you don't know, you should not give advice esp on MD firearms law

See what happens when you rush to post without reading the thread!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    In post #68 , everything after the fitst sentence is sorta close to Federal law for FOPA, not Md law for traveling within Maryland .

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

There is nothing, I repeat nothing in the MD transport statute that requires firearms and ammo to be separate. Federal FOPA doesn't either unless there is no trunk in the vehicle. Then either ammo OR the firearm must be in a locked case. FOPA has no bearing on trips that originate and end in MD per the AG.

I wish people would stop posting information that says otherwise. If you don't know the statute, it would be most helpful if you read it first before posting inaccurate information.

This gets really tiresome for members who want to get out accurate info.

Do your research before posting inaccurate info please.

sorry for the rant.

I am attaching again the AG opinion on magazines and transport.

Attachments

• AG opinion on travel 4-203.pdf
      15.4 KB · Views: 168
    • AG Opinion Loaded mags.pdf
      37.5 KB · Views: 159

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    There is nothing, I repeat nothing in the MD transport statute that requires firearms and ammo to be separate. Federal FOPA doesn't either unless there is no trunk in the vehicle. Then either ammo OR the firearm must be in a locked case. FOPA has no bearing on trips that originate and end in MD per the AG.

I wish people would stop posting information that says otherwise. If you don't know the statute, it would be most helpful if you read it first before posting inaccurate information.

sorry for the rant.

THIS X100

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toxicjin

Feb 8, 2018
    Forest Hill, Md.

sorry for the rant.

This was extremely helpful. The attached information spells it out without it being an opinion or guess.

johsif

Oct 8, 2022
    maryland
    Long guns, BTW, have none of these restrictions (other than not loaded in or resting on a vehicle). Only handguns.
    So does it have to be in a locked case in the truck, ammo seperate? Also do I need a good reason for having it in my vehicle (like going to and from the range) or can I just have it in there as a “truck gun”?
    I know I’m a bit late to this thread but I’m just a curious newbie, and would kindly ask that you elaborate a bit.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Nothing in the MD transport statute that prohibits unloaded uncased carry of a long gun

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fishgutzy

MDS Supporter
    Aug 25, 2022
    AA County
    get a cable locked pistol safe. lock it under rear seat and to frame .Put un loaded mag. in console or glove box which ever one your registration isn't in all ready my 2 cents safes are around thirty bucks
    Or put your registration in your wallet, (copies for family that drive it).
    And don't buy a car that doesn't have a locking glove box.

Criminals love MD anti gun laws.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

johsif

Oct 8, 2022
    maryland
    Nothing in the MD transport statute that prohibits unloaded uncased carry of a long gun

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    So does the ammo have to be separate? and what if I have an ar10 with a detachable mag? Does it then have to be in a case?
    Also do i still need a reason for it being in my vehicle?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom