New York rifle and Pistol case: what's next?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    If one were to rank the nine court justices from most conservative to most liberal, what would the list look like?

I don't think that can be done in any way that's meaningful across all issues, maybe it might work on a single type of issue or aspect of judicial philosophy. Definitions of "conservative" and "liberal" vary from person to person, and change over time.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    If one were to rank the nine court justices from most conservative to most liberal, what would the list look like?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ideological_leanings_of_United_States_Supreme_Court_justices

800px-Graph_of_Martin-Quinn_Scores_of_Supreme_Court_Justices_1937-Now.png

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    I was attempting to gauge where Barrett stands among the “conservative” justices when it comes to the NY case.

At orals, Barrett and Roberts seemed to be on the same page - concerns about sensitive places.

But we will see.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    I was attempting to gauge where Barrett stands among the “conservative” justices when it comes to the NY case.

That is more difficult because each justice has their own leanings that can change depending on the case. The graphs simply depict averages. I suspect Kavanaugh will appear more conservative with respect to gun cases. I don't have enough info on Barrett to know how her leaning may change with respect to gun cases. Her Kanter dissent is a positive sign, but it is not exactly the same case.

Texasgrillchef

Oct 29, 2021
    Dallas, texas

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    See a previous post I had about permits across the nation.

What you speak of in regards to Maryland residents getting a W&C permit maybe true.

I have and am a certified Maryland W&C Instructor, but sadly don’t have my Maryland W&C permit.

When NYSPRA is done, hopefully I will get mine, as I travel frequently.

I also have 38 (as of today) Texans who will take my course and apply for a MD W&C permit after NYSPRA.

What I predict, and I could be wrong. Is that due to the fact of no reciprocity from MD and a lot of people doing business in multiple states, or having family etc… many Non-residents will apply as well.

Of my 38 future Students, 23 of them are getting because they travel to Maryland on business. The rest either travel for pleasure like I do, or they have family in Maryland that they visit frequently.

So I represent at least 40 Future Non resident applications. (My 38 students, my self, and my wife.)

If you're an instructor, why not apply as a business owner?

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    So if I can show I rent a “conference” space at a local hotel, and have a range to shoot at, that’s all they need?

The MD permit is agnostic as to where you live, or if you do other business in other states. If you own the business and conduct business in MD, you've got G&S. What you want is to show that your business is a going financial concern (income from it appears on your taxes, etc), that you're in charge of it (not just some passive bag man), and that you have activities IN MARYLAND that contribute to that activity.

Yes, this sort of finagling could (and should!) be made less fussy by a proper ruling on this case. But if you don't feel like waiting until next summer, and can wrangle together some tangible invoices, in-MD ATM receipts, documentation showing you doing business stuff in the state, you should have your G&S for the MD permit. Then, just a whole lot less fuss come renewal time if this case goes right. Otherwise, just wait like everyone else and be ready for the tidal wave.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    Applications for concealed carry permits have exploded in urban areas

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...d-policing-amid-crime-spike-on-their-doorstep

Applications for concealed carry permits have exploded in Los Angeles County, where voters went for Biden by more than 40 points.

Since late 2018, the LA County Sheriff’s Office approved roughly 2,100 concealed carry permit applications, compared to the less than 200 permit applications that were approved by the same office the four years prior, according to a report by a California-based journalist.

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    If you're an instructor, why not apply as a business owner?

A close friend of mine is an instructor and cannot/will not get his permit. He applied and provided the necessary documentation including bank statements. The person reviewing his application said they need his client list. He refused to turn over the receipts with his customers names on it. He offered the receipts with the clients names and info redacted and was told redacted information was not acceptable. The only way he was going to get his permit was to turn in the information on his clients. He withdrew his application. He can teach the classes to get a carry permit but, cannot personally carry because he will not turn over his client list.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    A close friend of mine is an instructor and cannot/will not get his permit. He applied and provided the necessary documentation including bank statements. The person reviewing his application said they need his client list. He refused to turn over the receipts with his customers names on it. He offered the receipts with the clients names and info redacted and was told redacted information was not acceptable. The only way he was going to get his permit was to turn in the information on his clients. He withdrew his application. He can teach the classes to get a carry permit but, cannot personally carry because he will not turn over his client list.

Most likely that's because those receipts (complete with who/where info) would be what they want to see to establish the fact that the business activity is actually happening inside the state. If the instructor's courses are being held at a MD venue, he should produce invoices showing those addresses and how he paid for use of them. If the location doesn't cost anything, he should arrange for some sort of dated use document from whoever owns it (range, etc).

I'm hardly defending the MSP here, trust me - but for all they know all of his students are Virginians and he's renting out a room at the NRA Range across the river, and Maryland's got nothing to do with it. They do seem to err on the side of that kind of thinking.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    I do the physical maintenance and securing of vacant properties (for the last ~30 years. 20 years ago I inquired about a carry permit and was told I had to show I was carrying large sums of cash on a regular basis,, that me being by myself in a boarded up Baltimore row home was not a good reason.
    Is that still the case?

The MD permit is agnostic as to where you live, or if you do other business in other states. If you own the business and conduct business in MD, you've got G&S. What you want is to show that your business is a going financial concern (income from it appears on your taxes, etc), that you're in charge of it (not just some passive bag man), and that you have activities IN MARYLAND that contribute to that activity.

Yes, this sort of finagling could (and should!) be made less fussy by a proper ruling on this case. But if you don't feel like waiting until next summer, and can wrangle together some tangible invoices, in-MD ATM receipts, documentation showing you doing business stuff in the state, you should have your G&S for the MD permit. Then, just a whole lot less fuss come renewal time if this case goes right. Otherwise, just wait like everyone else and be ready for the tidal wave.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I do the physical maintenance and securing of vacant properties (for the last ~30 years. 20 years ago I inquired about a carry permit and was told I had to show I was carrying large sums of cash on a regular basis,, that me being by myself in a boarded up Baltimore row home was not a good reason.
    Is that still the case?

If you can bother with the paperwork to set yourself up as a formal business to do that, being a business owner is all that MSP now requires. Or, wait until the NY case is ruled on!

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    OK,
    I have been a lic and insured business with a federal TIN for ~30 years.
    When did they change that? used to be your life was not worth protecting, but your cash was.

If you can bother with the paperwork to set yourself up as a formal business to do that, being a business owner is all that MSP now requires. Or, wait until the NY case is ruled on!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom