• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FI$H

Oct 11, 2011
    I got one of the AMD-65 AKM's and took it out the the range using only the irons and this thing cant hit the broad side of a barn. Between 3 of us we put over 50 rounds down range and only hit the paper 10 times. What can I do or who can I send it to, to make it an accurate paper puncher?

HollowPoint

Aged Member
    Sep 13, 2011
    Inside the Outside
    I got one of the AMD-65 AKM's and took it out the the range using only the irons and this thing cant hit the broad side of a barn. Between 3 of us we put over 50 rounds down range and only hit the paper 10 times. What can I do or who can I send it to, to make it an accurate paper puncher?

Take it to Chad he's on this board as clandestine

Did you buy it new or used?

Side folder I take it?

When you say only 10 on the paper = at what distance?

FI$H

Oct 11, 2011
    I figured Chad would chime in, it is a side folder.

Oh and yes its new.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Are the sights aligned properly? All of mine are great at 50, on paper every time. I can still rock it out at 100 but it isn't pretty, my eyes are getting old :)

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Alright, so here's what you do first: go to amd65tech.com and buy the cheek riser. It is basically non-optional equipment for that stock.

After that, well... the other problem with the AMD-65 is a short sight radius. Not quite as bad as the gas block FSBs, but close. You can fix this in a few different ways, but some good choices are:
    1. Peep sight, reflex sight, or scope on a TWS DogLeg rail
    2. Tech Sights (http://www.tech-sights.com/ak.htm)
    3. Ultimak or handguard mounted reflex sight

I would also argue that the non-optional VFG does not lend itself to accurate distance shooting in terms of stance/form, but that's easily solved with a new handguard.

The guns themselves should be plenty accurate, as the Hungarians build a good AK and all TGI does is make them double-stack compatible.

Oh, and remember that TGI AMD-65s are NOT 922r compatible with foreign magazines out of the box. You will need to replace two more parts (I'd suggest the pistol grip and piston, or maybe pistol grip and handguard) to be able to legally insert a foreign magazine.

RW2111

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Industry Partner
    Apr 2, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Check the play in rear sight I recommend just getting new sights period if your looking for a little more accuracy but remember AK is far from a precision weapon but them again 50yds theres a problem there

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    +1 on the sight radius and consistent cheek weld, and confirming no sight wiggle. Just a couple inches of difference in sight radius will double the grouping size.

To not be on paper much at all seems a bit odd though. Even my worst AKs will do pie plates at 100 yards if I take my time.

AKs are rarely sighted in out of the box. Could be that the gun is just fine but the POA and POI were completely off, to the point that you weren't on paper at all. It's very common. Did you seem to be consistently hitting to one side or high or low?

The first thing to confirm is if it's consistently off paper, or consistently all over the place. The first is no big deal to fix, even with canted sights. The second can take some troubleshooting.

It *could* be that you have chipped chrome or another issue at the muzzle. It's also a possibility that the feed ramp is out of spec and the noses of the bullets are getting nicked, alternately left and right, which can throw off accuracy. But either of those, while known to happen, are not very common.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Yeah, FWIW, I couldn't tolerate the short sight radius on my M10, to the extent that I'm dumping the rear sight and going with the TWS dogleg option. I suspect I will be doing something similar to the AMD-65. It makes me sad that it doesn't have a side rail.

FI$H

Oct 11, 2011
    Are the sights aligned properly? All of mine are great at 50, on paper every time. I can still rock it out at 100 but it isn't pretty, my eyes are getting old :)

I have no idea ill have to look, i just opened the box cleaned it and shot it.

What type of ammo?

Tula

Check the play in rear sight I recommend just getting new sights period if your looking for a little more accuracy but remember AK is far from a precision weapon but them again 50yds theres a problem there

I will check this when i get home from work.

Alright, so here's what you do first: go to amd65tech.com and buy the cheek riser. It is basically non-optional equipment for that stock.

After that, well... the other problem with the AMD-65 is a short sight radius. Not quite as bad as the gas block FSBs, but close. You can fix this in a few different ways, but some good choices are:
    1. Peep sight, reflex sight, or scope on a TWS DogLeg rail
    2. Tech Sights (http://www.tech-sights.com/ak.htm)
    3. Ultimak or handguard mounted reflex sight

I would also argue that the non-optional VFG does not lend itself to accurate distance shooting in terms of stance/form, but that's easily solved with a new handguard.

The guns themselves should be plenty accurate, as the Hungarians build a good AK and all TGI does is make them double-stack compatible.

Oh, and remember that TGI AMD-65s are NOT 922r compatible with foreign magazines out of the box. You will need to replace two more parts (I'd suggest the pistol grip and piston, or maybe pistol grip and handguard) to be able to legally insert a foreign magazine.

The cheek riser is in my near future, and thanks for the tip on the mags!

+1 on the sight radius and consistent cheek weld, and confirming no sight wiggle. Just a couple inches of difference in sight radius will double the grouping size.

To not be on paper much at all seems a bit odd though. Even my worst AKs will do pie plates at 100 yards if I take my time.

AKs are rarely sighted in out of the box. Could be that the gun is just fine but the POA and POI were completely off, to the point that you weren't on paper at all. It's very common. Did you seem to be consistently hitting to one side or high or low?

The first thing to confirm is if it's consistently off paper, or consistently all over the place. The first is no big deal to fix, even with canted sights. The second can take some troubleshooting.

It *could* be that you have chipped chrome or another issue at the muzzle. It's also a possibility that the feed ramp is out of spec and the noses of the bullets are getting nicked, alternately left and right, which can throw off accuracy. But either of those, while known to happen, are not very common.

I was high and to the right.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Sounds like an easy fix... if you were consistently high and right, you just need a $12 sight tool (Tapco) to zero her in.

Probably half of the AKs I've bought weren't initially on paper at 50 yards either.

FI$H

Oct 11, 2011
    Sounds like an easy fix... if you were consistently high and right, you just need a $12 sight tool (Tapco) to zero her in.

Probably half of the AKs I've bought weren't initially on paper at 50 yards either.

Sounds good to me!

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Its not possible to diagnose this issue without seeing it, but first thing I suggest is to check everything and make sure its right/tight.

Is the Muzzle Brake loose?
    Did you bore sight it at closer ranges to see if it was adjusted for POA/POI?
    Do you see copper impact marks or copper kisses on the inside of the Brake?
    Does the Rear Sight have excessive side to side play and is the Flat Spring Installed?
    Is the Front Sight Post, Front Sigght Drum, and Front Sight Base Tight?
    Does the Rear Sights Base have movement?
    Are the Handguards or Gas Tube lose?
    What does the Bore look like?
    Does the Barrel feel secure in the weapon?

Besides those things the only other things can be inconsistent Cheek Weld, Bad Crown, Heavy/Creepy Trigger, Bad Bullet Guide/Chamber Mouth (Causes Bullet Deflection as mentioned earlier), or Ammo(Some weapons just HATE certain kinds of ammo).

I suggest looking over the weapon again and get yourself some good AK ammo like Fiocchi, Winchester, Cor-Bon, or Hornady and then take it back out to the range at 25 yards and see what she does. 25 Yards wil gove you your battle zero anyway. No need to sight in at 50.

Check out my AK thread for zeroing an AK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom