New to MD, can someone suggest where to live???

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Probably plan to rent a while. Real estate is tight right now. I have been looking for a similar type property about the same budget but farther out from the cities where thing should get you more for your money, western frederick co area, and we have been looking for over a year with no luck. Inventory is at all time lows.

HarveyMushman

Sep 27, 2020
    Probably plan to rent a while. Real estate is tight right now. I have been looking for a similar type property about the same budget but farther out from the cities where thing should get you more for your money, western frederick co area, and we have been looking for over a year with no luck. Inventory is at all time lows.

Sounds good, I am just getting so sick of renting but no pain no gain, life ain't easy!

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Sounds good, I am just getting so sick of renting but no pain no gain, life ain't easy!

Yeah. I hate it. We have been in this apartment for almost 3 years with no garage, no yard, no space. I want room to have a garden, build things, work on cars and just generally tinker with stuff and i have never had it yet. Its frustrating. But our down payment just keeps getting bigger and bigger.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Unfortunately, Ft Meade is in the middle of Maryland, so PA, WV, VA, DE are pretty much out of the question due to commute.

Fulton / Highland would be very good, if you can something in your price point.

Howard County does not allow outside shooting except on county approved private ranges - there are none to my knowledge.

We're about to have the bag tax, so we got that going for us.

Carroll, as mentioned, might be a good idea. Rt 32 from I70 is finally becoming divided - should alleviate traffic a great deal, but expect higher land prices.

Mt Airy might be doable, but I've never had to drive to Ft. Meade from there.

HarveyMushman

Sep 27, 2020
    Yeah. I hate it. We have been in this apartment for almost 3 years with no garage, no yard, no space. I want room to have a garden, build things, work on cars and just generally tinker with stuff and i have never had it yet. Its frustrating. But our down payment just keeps getting bigger and bigger.

Yes, you just described my interests too :(

HarveyMushman

Sep 27, 2020
    Unfortunately, Ft Meade is in the middle of Maryland, so PA, WV, VA, DE are pretty much out of the question due to commute.

Fulton / Highland would be very good, if you can something in your price point.

Howard County does not allow outside shooting except on county approved private ranges - there are none to my knowledge.

We're about to have the bag tax, so we got that going for us.

Carroll, as mentioned, might be a good idea. Rt 32 from I70 is finally becoming divided - should alleviate traffic a great deal, but expect higher land prices.

Mt Airy might be doable, but I've never had to drive to Ft. Meade from there.

Great advice, thank you. I will check these places out now.

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    We live about 5 mins north of Eldersburg off 32 and my wife and two neighbors commute to Meade. Very doable and if anything I would suggest even farther north or west. I would not want to live in Howard or Montgomery.

Kids? Chance of kids?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

HarveyMushman

Sep 27, 2020
    We live about 5 mins north of Eldersburg off 32 and my wife and two neighbors commute to Meade. Very doable and if anything I would suggest even farther north or west. I would not want to live in Howard or Montgomery.

Kids? Chance of kids?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

39, single chance of kids is slowing fading but still have some hope!

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    The commute doesn't worry me too much. I mean tradeoffs right! I am thinking that northern Virginia would not be possible?

Not practical. You'd be facing a minimum of 1 hour commute, probably longer, each way. And Northern Virginia is even more expensive than Maryland.

WRT shooting, I'd be looking at joining one of the clubs that are part of the Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore. Their range is West of Baltimore, but it's a big facility.

HarveyMushman

Sep 27, 2020
    Not practical. You'd be facing a minimum of 1 hour commute, probably longer, each way. And Northern Virginia is even more expensive than Maryland.

WRT shooting, I'd be looking at joining one of the clubs that are part of the Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore. Their range is West of Baltimore, but it's a big facility.

Awesome, thank you!

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Actually straight up 83 into Pennsylvania is about 1 hour. When I had my last PCS to Ft Myers I bought in Maryland west of Frederick. Took 70-270-beltway for 4 years. Sometimes took the metro at Shady Grove. All depends on your hours and how long you plan of staying at Meade. Still only a little more than 1 hour out towards western Frederick or Washington County.

craftsman_69

MDS Supporter
    Jul 26, 2015
    AA
    Being from the area and retiring here there are some sweet spots south of Meade. Gambrills, the south end of Millersville, Crownsville and even spots in Odenton. You have to keeps your eyes open and be patient. Everything west of Meade usually sucks due to the few roads going east west compounding traffic. Jessup is a nope and most of Severn too. Property taxes are all over the place due to rapid development so take that into account.

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    39, single chance of kids is slowing fading but still have some hope!

Then maybe give some consideration to schools as well. Even if you don't have kids, resale is usually better depending on the home/neighborhood if the schools are good.

I have 2 in Eldersburg schools, and they are decent. Again, for these reasons I would avoid PG County especially. Howard and Montgomery have good school ratings, but I'd be wary of the politics. Just my $.02. Others may vary. Even if you don't have kids, there are some benefits to having good schools.

Someone mention AGC for a range. I've been a member for a long time now. Not a fan of the place, but it's okay. 10 or so 15 minutes from Eldersburg/Sykesville.

I think your problem is going to be getting 1.5 acres for a decent price. Someone else already put up the formula...you want acres or a manageable commute? You'll have a ton of options, but there will be compromise.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Southern Carroll county or eastern Frederick county (new market area) would give you you roughly 60 mins to the fort...

Property values are good, lot sizes still available and piggyback and real estate taxes better than Howard county. NO way I’d move into HoCo given their current county exec and progressive policies

Welcome to the madhouse!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    I would be looking at New Freedom, Stewartstown, Glen Rick area of PA. If inspections and appraisal go well, I will be there mid November. I’ve had enough of Maryland and will be glad to sacrifice a commute for the rest of my time.

Only problem with PA at the moment is the school tax and property tax are between 6 and 9 thousand per year most places. You do get a lot more house for the money though so it’s a trade.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    You can have 1.5ac in a nice area around Ft Meade, it’s just probably 4-5x the cost of what that was in FL. If not ok, just depends on how long of a commute you’re willing to accept.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome from PA!

Take a look at these [/FONT][FONT=&quot]helpful[/FONT][FONT=&quot] links – LOTS of [/FONT][FONT=&quot]amazing[/FONT][FONT=&quot] info!

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]FORUM RULES[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]Rules are written in the stone, Break the rules and you get no bones, all you get is ridicule, laughter, a shine box, and a trip to the house of pain.
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Range Etiquette and Staying Safe[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Admin News and Announcements[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Gun Rights and Legislation[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Industry Partners[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]MD Shooters Firearms Map[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Acronym list[/FONT]

jamesp15

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern PG
    Welcome.
    Its a bit of a commute but Southern Prince Georges (South of US50 and i495, south and east of Clinton really) and Mid-to-Southern Calvert County (Dunkirk, Huntingtown even Prince Frederick) are pretty nice and usually affordable. 40 to 60ish minute commutes and your coming from the south so a tiny bit less gridlock a tiny bit.

(most of) Charles County is also pretty good but looking at 60min+ commutes.

Potential benefit of Southern PG would be your right near Andrews AFB (so if your military, which I assume you are) you have a good sized newly renovated AAFES, a newly built outpatient clinic/surgery center/pharmacy pretty close by without having to go all they way up to Meade or Walter Reed or over to Ft Belvoir for those kinds of things for you/family. Downside to PG is taxes and lots of not so nice neighborhoods if you get in closer to DC.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Retired after 35+ years at Fort Meade, and worked with many people who lived in Southern Adams and York Counties in PA. Commute times were generally reported to be and hour plus or minus 15 minutes. Time of day does really matter to commute time.

BTW - There are a lot of van pools from that area to the Fort.

Lived on the Eastern Shore for 15 of those years and traffic on MD50 through Annapolis totally sucks in the 4 - 6 pm timefame.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

rog951

Mar 6, 2018
    Not far from Frederick
    Welcome to MDS! I work near Ft. Meade and have several coworkers that commute from PA - it's not much more than an hour they tell me. That area around New Freedom/Shrewsbury has some decent acreage for not too much $$$ - I've been eyeing it up myself. If your work hours are at all flexible that can help with traffic a lot. Get in early and get out by 3pm at the latest and it might be do-able. It will be a lot of highway driving for sure though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom