• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nuxbag

Dec 15, 2018
    Hello, I am from Silver Spring. I just recently bought my first gun, and have been helped by many people in this forum. I am interested in getting a home-based FFL. I like learning new things. Thank you to everyone that replied to my threads.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Hello, I am from Silver Spring. I just recently bought my first gun, and have been helped by many people in this forum. I am interested in getting a home-based FFL. I like learning new things. Thank you to everyone that replied to my threads.

Requires zoning acceptance by the local zoning board. Unlikely in MoCo.

ClutchyMcClutcherson

Aug 29, 2016
    Odenton, MD
    I thought the ATF wasn’t allowing home based ffl anymore, with some exceptions. Like if you owned the ffl with a business location, then lost the business location, you could do a home based with limited abilities like transfers only and no sales.

I could be wrong though.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA

nuxbag

Dec 15, 2018
    I thought the ATF wasn’t allowing home based ffl anymore, with some exceptions. Like if you owned the ffl with a business location, then lost the business location, you could do a home based with limited abilities like transfers only and no sales.

I could be wrong though.
    They didn't discuss any special circumstances with me. As long as I was right with the city they were right with me

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• msi_welcome.jpg
      msi_welcome.jpg
      30.2 KB · Views: 424

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Welcome aboard!!

I had an FFL in 1993, or so, when they were handing them out to anyone with a pulse. Or not.

Shinebox order on hold, pending classifieds scenario, but prices being monitored.

We are a very friendly bunch indeed, but many have stockpiled tin foil.

Any gun is good gun (apologies to BTO).

nuxbag

Dec 15, 2018
    Welcome !

My , you don't jump in halfway, do you ? :)
    I'm looking for a 22 now I haven't even got the other one home yet. I should have got them at the same time. Trying to pick a safe so many choices

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    I'm looking for a 22 now I haven't even got the other one home yet. I should have got them at the same time. Trying to pick a safe so many choices

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

It’s worth getting your collector “license”. I purchase 4-5 at a time, pay $10 for 77r only one time and pay my FFL one $25 transfer fee for all of them.

nuxbag

Dec 15, 2018
    It’s worth getting your collector “license”. I purchase 4-5 at a time, pay $10 for 77r only one time and pay my FFL one $25 transfer fee for all of them.

I thought I can do that now? Maybe it's only limited 2. I have to check up on that. $25 transfer fee where is that at? Isn't it always treated as one transfer?

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    I thought I can do that now? Maybe it's only limited 2. I have to check up on that. $25 transfer fee where is that at? Isn't it always treated as one transfer?

With a regulated firearm you’re limited to one every 30 days. Most charge $50 and from what I’ve heard charge for each one, my guy buys ammo from me so we cut each other a break :)

nuxbag

Dec 15, 2018
    With a regulated firearm you’re limited to one every 30 days. Most charge $50 and from what I’ve heard charge for each one, my guy buys ammo from me so we cut each other a break :)
    Yeah you are limited to one every 30 days but you can buy multiple at one time, at least that's what I remember but I'll look it up again

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Yeah you are limited to one every 30 days but you can buy multiple at one time, at least that's what I remember but I'll look it up again

Not exactly. You can buy 2 handguns at one time without the designated collector's letter. Then you'd have to wait 60 days to buy something else. Just apply for the designated collector letter, it takes about 30 days and is free. That way you don't have to worry about Maryland's BS if a deal pops up.

It's free and it's Maryland. Everyone should do it because of these 2, usually mutually exclusive, things!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    One per 30 days . OR two at once from same dealer, then 60days for next . As mentioned , apply for your Designated Collector Letter.

Transfer fees are set by the individual dealer , or if they care to do transfers , or only within certain circumstances . Likewise , if they charge set fee per item , or have discounted price structure for multiples .

But the amount of the tranfer fee per se, is only one factor to consider . Since it will involve two round trips to the dealer , the distance , and convience to your home/ work/ other areas you otherwise frequent are part of the total net package .

.22lr is a good thing . My default answer for people new to guns is to get a suitable .22lr first , and get instruction/ knowledgeable coaching first, and develope some basic marksmanship skills . By that point, you will have knowledgeable opinions as to what you wish in your next aquisition .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom