New to gun ownership! (suggestions welcome)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    Dave,

Thanks for the warm welcome! Super cool website that you are a part of running, so thank you for that as well. I'll make sure to check all these out as there seems to be a lot for a novice like me to learn. Looking forward to seeing you around!
    Not my website. The info I post is intended to help new members get a lay of the forum. Enjoy!

May 21, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Hey Moonlighter!

Thanks for collecting all that info! If I may, how has your experience been on gunbroker, if you have used it? I know that you can't attest with certainty how it would go down if I was to purchase something on it, but if I was to buy from a seemingly trusted seller what would you say? TBH I'm not against ordering for a little more directly from the manufacturer just cause... warranty I guess? Although I have no idea what I'm talking about so there is always that.

I've been going on and off about the idea of buying used but then again the firearm would be worn in which could be a benefit I guess? Do you have any recommendations from your own experiences on good places to look for a used firearm? To your point about REALLY liking the 1911... pretty sure I fall into that category. That said, could always be the next purchase.

Thanks for all your help once again!
    Gunbroker has been mostly good for me, I've sold an AR and bought several firearms. I did win an ammo auction last year for some .45ACP, mailed the seller a USPS money order, and then he went silent on me. Didn't cash it but wasn't responding. Finally reported the money order as lost and got my money back but it was a major hassle. Just make sure your seller has a good feedback rating. Gunbroker support is non-existent, IMO.
    The plus of buying from your local gun shop is dealer support and developing a relationship with them. You get to see and handle the firearm before purchasing and you get their input and advice. You'll usually pay $100-$200 over what the same firearm would sell for online, depending on what firearm you're buying.
    I have a couple of Ruger revolvers and absolutely love shooting them. They do appear to be well made and I would highly recommend them.
    Most local gun shops sell used guns on consignment so you should have a lot of options there. There are many IP's on here that post threads with their used inventory so look for that.
    Figure out which firearms interest you and go shoot them at the range. The beauty there is you don't have to clean them afterwards! After you pick what you want to buy, check gunbroker and your local stores to see what the new and used prices are. Easy peasy.

Edit: If you're looking for an incredibly reliable handgun that shoots really well but is ugly as fvck, get a Glock in whatever caliber you choose. I have a G17 that I added TruGlo fiber optic sights to and an aftermarket trigger, can't remember which one though.

Last edited:

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    A 45 has quite a bit of recoil,maybe too much for a beginner.
    Might want to shoot a couple of different calibers before buying your first handgun

R45

Jul 5, 2022
    Baltimore
    A 45 has quite a bit of recoil,maybe too much for a beginner.
    Might want to shoot a couple of different calibers before buying your first handgun
    remrug,

Thank you for the reply! Yes I think you give sound advice; I'm going out to the range in the next couple days to see what feels best!

Hope you have a great weekend.

R45

Jul 5, 2022
    Baltimore
    You might also try out a Browning Hi Power, or perhaps Springfield's new clone of that classic 9mm.
    Threeband,

I haven't heard of your suggestions before, I'll definitely look into them thank you so much!

Hope you have a great weekend.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Springfield makes solid 1911's.

You'll be fine with either, but my suggestion would be the 9mm simply because you'll be able to buy more ammo. Range time is very important.

Plus modern 9mm hollow point loadings are very effective in defensive situations, so the gap between a 45 and a 9mm is much smaller than it used to be.

My suggestion would be to opt for a 1911 with a rail so you can add a pistol light to it when stored for home defense. I believe many Springfield 1911's have this, but I am sure they make a few models that don't.

R45

Jul 5, 2022
    Baltimore
    Gunbroker has been mostly good for me, I've sold an AR and bought several firearms. I did win an ammo auction last year for some .45ACP, mailed the seller a USPS money order, and then he went silent on me. Didn't cash it but wasn't responding. Finally reported the money order as lost and got my money back but it was a major hassle. Just make sure your seller has a good feedback rating. Gunbroker support is non-existent, IMO.
    The plus of buying from your local gun shop is dealer support and developing a relationship with them. You get to see and handle the firearm before purchasing and you get their input and advice. You'll usually pay $100-$200 over what the same firearm would sell for online, depending on what firearm you're buying.
    I have a couple of Ruger revolvers and absolutely love shooting them. They do appear to be well made and I would highly recommend them.
    Most local gun shops sell used guns on consignment so you should have a lot of options there. There are many IP's on here that post threads with their used inventory so look for that.
    Figure out which firearms interest you and go shoot them at the range. The beauty there is you don't have to clean them afterwards! After you pick what you want to buy, check gunbroker and your local stores to see what the new and used prices are. Easy peasy.

Edit: If you're looking for an incredibly reliable handgun that shoots really well but is ugly as fvck, get a Glock in whatever caliber you choose. I have a G17 that I added TruGlo fiber optic sights to and an aftermarket trigger, can't remember which one though.
    Moonlighter,

Happy Saturday! HA, yeah I feel the same way about glocks. I'll certainly not sleep on them as an option though, so thank you for the recommendation. Thanks for your feedback about gunbroker, I've heard similar things about the customer support. Glad you were able to resolve the money order but what a bummer that it took a ton of work. Good to hear that the higher dollar value results in some positive when buying local. I had the same thought with the appeal on developing a relationship.

I'll definitely check out and compare all the options, thanks again for all your help! I'll post a reply to the thread or something on what I end up getting. This was a community effort! :mdpatriot:mdpatriot:mdpatriot

R45

Jul 5, 2022
    Baltimore
    Springfield makes solid 1911's.

You'll be fine with either, but my suggestion would be the 9mm simply because you'll be able to buy more ammo. Range time is very important.

Plus modern 9mm hollow point loadings are very effective in defensive situations, so the gap between a 45 and a 9mm is much smaller than it used to be.

My suggestion would be to opt for a 1911 with a rail so you can add a pistol light to it when stored for home defense. I believe many Springfield 1911's have this, but I am sure they make a few models that don't.
    SkiPatrolDude,

Thanks for the reply. Good to hear that the 9mm and 45 gap isn't super huge anymore (with quality ammo I'm sure). I'll certainly ensure I get a 1911 with railing if that's what I settle with. Thank you for that important consideration.

Have a great weekend!

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    One question that has not been mentioned is whether or not you intend to reload. .45 ACP is often easier to reload than 9mm.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Hello!

I moved to Maryland a year ago from the west coast and am loving it here. I haven't mingled a ton with the gun community and am eager to join any clubs that are looking for members.

Welcome to Baltimore!

I’d suggest starting by joining Maryland Shall Issue, for $25 per year.

As a Member of MSI, you’ll also be eligible to come out to the best outdoor range in the region. Buy a range badge for $125 and shoot any day of the next 8 months (except Thanksgiving after 2, Christmas and New Year’s Day).

While you decide about that, visit some of the other FFL’s with ranges mentioned before, rent a few different handguns and try them out before buying.

Enjoy the shopping adventure.

Next, get the 16 hour handgun permit training and apply for your wear & carry permit for Maryland.

R45

Jul 5, 2022
    Baltimore
    One question that has not been mentioned is whether or not you intend to reload. .45 ACP is often easier to reload than 9mm.
    Hey Mike!

I had no idea that a 45 is easier to reload prior to your reply; thank you! I'm heading to a range tomorrow so I'll make sure to take notice of this. I appreciate it greatly!

Wishing you a great start to your week.

R45

Jul 5, 2022
    Baltimore
    I’d suggest starting by joining Maryland Shall Issue, for $25 per year.

As a Member of MSI, you’ll also be eligible to come out to the best outdoor range in the region. Buy a range badge for $125 and shoot any day of the next 8 months (except Thanksgiving after 2, Christmas and New Year’s Day).

While you decide about that, visit some of the other FFL’s with ranges mentioned before, rent a few different handguns and try them out before buying.

Enjoy the shopping adventure.

Next, get the 16 hour handgun permit training and apply for your wear & carry permit for Maryland.
    BurkeM,

Thank you so much for all the helpful information! I'm enthused to hear about the MSI and definitely will look into membership. Do you have any recommendation for a wear and carry permit course? I appreciate all your insight!

Wishing you a great start to your week.

Sirex